2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Jesus, it's like these button screws were made to be stripped.

I got my replacement garnish/cowl yesterday, trying to remove the buttons from my old wheel, and the screws won't go anywhere.

I mean, they came out fine the first time, went back in a second time, are they seriously going to be unremoveable after that?

Last edited by Cutriss; 06-26-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
LDB
This is interesting but for those with two left thumbs it looks like do it at home brain surgery. It's great for those so inclined though.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by LDB
This is interesting but for those with two left thumbs it looks like do it at home brain surgery. It's great for those so inclined though.
It's far easier if you just buy the Nav buttons harness instead, then you only have to do the wiring from the clockspring to the radio itself, and you'll have a spare harness to pull the pins from for the clockspring side of the wiring (you'll need to cannibalize a Metra harness for the radio side).

If you're using an aftermarket radio, it's probably even easier.

I have a little soldering experience but basically no auto mechanic/car audio experience at all, and I'm making this work.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Cutriss
It's far easier if you just buy the Nav buttons harness instead, then you only have to do the wiring from the clockspring to the radio itself, and you'll have a spare harness to pull the pins from for the clockspring side of the wiring (you'll need to cannibalize a Metra harness for the radio side).

I have a little soldering experience but basically no auto mechanic/car audio experience at all, and I'm making this work.
Do you know if there's somewhere online to buy that part?

Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by JoeJxn
Do you know if there's somewhere online to buy that part?
36770-TK6-A31 for M/T
36770-TK6-A41 for A/T

Both sold by Bernardi and I'm sure a number of other parts dealers.

If you want to use the Navi buttons, you'll need additional parts as well, but you could just use the above button set and leave the Navi buttons hanging loose. Basically, you're paying money to not have to do some of the wiring (you'll still have to do the wiring from the cable reel to the stereo).

Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Does anyone know which pins to use on the cable reel with the navigation buttons? I added the audio controls to my 09 fit recently with the navigation buttons too with the intention of upgrading my radio. The audio buttons work great, but now I need to know which pins to use from the cable reel for the navigation buttons. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
i did this and it works great. you can see my video on Instagram @tealness. i just cant seem to get my audio buttons to light up tho. i have a 2011 fit sport. im gonna check my connections again to be sure they are right.

also i have extra radio harness pins if anyone is interested. I have a total of 3 sets. PM me if interested

Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
For those who want to do this mod, i just find this on ebay

New genuine Honda civic Switch audio control jazz 2009 city 2009-2012

NOTE: I dont recommend this seller, i just sharing the information i found on eBay.

Honda Part Number:
36770-TF0-U11

Last edited by luismycorreo; 10-17-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:23 PM
I just did this, and it works wonderfully. Thank you for the Picture DIY! I also took the time to install a RoW red hazard button while the radio was out of the dashboard (2013 US Honda Fit base AT. I'm still not too enthused about the AT, but there were no MT within a 50mile radius ... and it's still better than my Toyota Highlander's lethargic AT).

I bought a switch/harness with all of the buttons from a Honda parts store and a Metra radio harness (to sacrifice for the pins), so I can confirm that route works (add one reel of 18AWG wire - this was too thick, I think 20 or 22 gauge would of sufficed). I soldered the wires together then used electrical tape to cover the splices. I also used electrical tape to attach the wires to the main harnesses, so it doesn't rattle or anything like that. It would of been cheaper to do what the OP did, and just get a used part from a junkyard, or some similar place. Come to think of it, I should probably visit the local one (just one, around here) sooner or later to get a homelink overhead console for my car.

Last edited by tankton; 10-26-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cutriss

I went this route ... got a new button harness and planned to strip two pins form the original part to wire the backside of the cable reel. Ran into a major issue with extracting the pins from the OEM cruise control button harness. Anybody got any specific suggestions on this specific connector? I do understand that you typically stick an extractor tool into the connector to release a tab and ... voila ... out slides the pin. However, I'm not having any luck. If you've had success doing this, please enlighten me ... photos and/or video would be great. Thanks!
Chris

Old 02-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by TVdoorknob
I went this route ... got a new button harness and planned to strip two pins form the original part to wire the backside of the cable reel. Ran into a major issue with extracting the pins from the OEM cruise control button harness. Anybody got any specific suggestions on this specific connector? I do understand that you typically stick an extractor tool into the connector to release a tab and ... voila ... out slides the pin. However, I'm not having any luck. If you've had success doing this, please enlighten me ... photos and/or video would be great. Thanks!
Chris
The audio shop that did this for me ended up cutting them out of the harness itself, shearing the plastic to get the connectors out. I had basically the same problem you did, and that ended up being their solution.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:22 AM
Honda Civic Steering Wheel

Hi, I have Honda Civic 2011 and the steering wheel only has cruse control but the new steering has cruse control as well as multi media, I have stock player as well, so will it work or not the new steering wheel is for 2009 model.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Done it, thanks for the DIY !!! The write-up is excellent. I only had complications with the radio connecter...

So, if you plan on doing it, order the metra 71-1729 to get the pins that go in the radio connecter. Also, to get those pin in the connecter, you have to pull out the dark grey part about 1 or 1.5 mm. You can use a little flat screwdriver inside the connecter on the radio side.

Hope my english is good enough, I'm a french canadian.

Cheers !

Old 04-25-2016, 01:38 PM
I know im late to the party but I still have some questions after looking thru this thread..

First thing is, I am in a 2013 manual base and I want the audio controls and leather from the sport wheel.

Am I able to get a manual sport steering wheel and follow this thread, will everything still apply to me?

Old 05-07-2016, 09:18 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ladylockness
I know im late to the party but I still have some questions after looking thru this thread..

First thing is, I am in a 2013 manual base and I want the audio controls and leather from the sport wheel.

Am I able to get a manual sport steering wheel and follow this thread, will everything still apply to me?

everything should be ok with one exception.
you will have to make sure you have the right clock spring. your base model
might be different.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Amazon Parts

I found this kit on Amazon, but they don't have much info on the product.

Amazon.com: New HONDA CIVIC City Fit STEERING WHEEL AUDIO & CRUISE CONTROL SWITCHES: Home Improvement Amazon.com: New HONDA CIVIC City Fit STEERING WHEEL AUDIO & CRUISE CONTROL SWITCHES: Home Improvement

Do you think this kit would fit Fit?
Would this work for the Audio controls DIY?

Also, (Base Model 2010 Automatic) anybody have any idea what other components I would need to get the Cruise side of the buttons to work?

I notice that the gauge cluster has all the appropriate LEDs for Cruise.
I can only assume that the ECM would know what to do.
There are a couple threads about Indonesian Jazz models having all the components EXCEPT for 4 pin brake wire and Buttons but they are dead threads.

Thanks thanks

Last edited by Specter597; 05-19-2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-28-2016, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
now we will need to merge the audio with the cruise.
so we have 4 wires to connect.
2 will go into the harness for controls.
one wire is brown the other is green with red stripe.
I believe the slots on the clip are 5 and 6.
So i put them in like so. brown to 6 and grn/rd to 5

the other 2 wires are illumination and are green
and red with black stripe. The wires matched up
my wires color for color. so i used 2 wire connectors
and spliced them together.

Now your done with the controls so you can put them
back in the wheel. just reverse all your steps.
oh make sure you tape your wires back up so they
look nice.
Just did the mod , thx for write up!! I did something different tho. I got a wheel off of a sport and re wired the wheel and made the paddle shifters volume up/down. Made the normal volume preset up/down and kept the rest the same. I also baught the illuminated cruise/audio buttons off eBay.
I have aftermarket deck and a SWIRC PAC module can do custom mapping.

Thanks for the diagram tho. I only needed one of the two pins for mine, works great!

Old 06-28-2016, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone in Illinois want to help me out with this. Let me know maybe we can work something out.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:02 PM
I made a video doing OP's procedure:

Huge shoutout to Niko for figuring this all out. I love my wheel controls -- totally worth the intimidation of this project. Took me about 8 hours, but I'm kind of slow.

Last edited by radiocitrus; 11-30-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:10 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Glad you did it. Also great job on the video.

Quick Reply: DIY Steering Wheel Audio Controls