2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

HVAC Blower Motor works only on high speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:03 PM
It's still worth a try to get your dealer to honor the goodwill warranty. Mine went out last week and I took a copy of the service bulletin to my dealer. They replaced the fan & resistor today free of charge on a 2010 with 80555 miles.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:57 PM
replaced HVAC blower motor and resistor

Hello, just to let you guys know... i replaced the blower motor and resistor....and it blew out again after 30k miles later. Honda swore that defects in the blower motor eventually caused the resistor to fail. and the new blower motor didnt have the same issue...bla bla bla...bullcrap. Here we go again.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is just at 78k now, replaced around 20k or so (Would need to look up for exact). No issues with the blower or resistor pack.

I did have the field coil for the AC compressor clutch burn out at 67k miles though. What a PITA to change.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:36 PM
info on blower motor and relay

Have had both my 2009 Honda Fit blower motors go bad and take out the
bi-metal relay located behind the glovebox and attached with 2 screws
recessed in the firewall. Take out the screws, its easiest if you remove the glove box and support plate, Cut the plastic crossover ( the shop manual
tells you this also ). so you have room to work. YOu don't need to take the entire blower assembly out, just remove the 3 phillips screws and the plug holding it up and it will drop down to the floor.

What I summize is happening is they used a cheap bearing on the motor
and it creates drag as it goes bad. Eventually you will hear it screeching
if it goes on long enough but before that it takes out the bi-metal relay from over heating blowing the fuse. The high speed is seperate thats why it keep on working on high. Although I'm not an engineer this is what I get from the fact that both my 2009 Honda Fits had this happen. Poor parts from a supplier for the dealer.

So go to a junk yard and get a non-2009 blower motor and the relay assembly if you can. replace em and your set. several years are interchangable. the junk yard will know.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
My 2010 Fit HVAC blower motor just went out a couple of days ago after 78,000 miles. I have an appointment with Honda service tomorrow to replace the passenger airbag and I'm going to have them take care of the blower motor too.

I figure/hope the blower motor will be replaced for free due to:
A. I always go to the same dealership for service where I bought the Fit.
B. There's a TSB regarding the blower motor failing.
C. I was snookered into getting HondaCare when I bought the Fit and still have a year/~50,000 miles of coverage left.

Points A and B ought to be worth a goodwill repair and if not then HondaCare should cover it.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:05 PM
So this seems like an old thread but I figure that I will post here and see what happens,

I have an 09 Fit Sport with 133k miles and my Blower motor is in the process of failing. I'm guessing that I'm so far out that the dealership won't do a good will replacement so I'm looking at finding parts online so that I can fix it my self.

I see that the factory Blower motor is about $190 new and I have also seen non OEM Parts for $70. Have any of you guys gone with the non OEM and if so did it work out? Or is it better to just suck it up and go with the OEM part and shell out the $200?

Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
Trust me, Honda wouldn't help you even if you were on fire due to the blower motor. We replaced ours with OEM and if I recall, I purchased it from Majestic Honda which at the time had the best price. I'm not even sure that an aftermarket blower was available. Here is what I posted back in 2013:

"The blower on our 2009 started to drag, and of course took out the resistor. In dealing with Honda and two different dealerships, both dealerships wanted to charge me almost $100 to determine the problem, and Honda needed one of the dealerships to render an opinion as to what was wrong. Only then would Honda give me "an estimate" of what they would (more like might) pay. In short it just wasn't worth my time to gamble as to what might be covered...so I paid $200 and had a new blower and resistor sent to the house...and changed out the parts in 5 minutes. Needless to say, I'm disappointed in both Honda and my local dealerships."

Last edited by Spacecoast; 07-14-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
Here is a link to the original 2009 TSB that states that Honda will provide out-of-warranty good will if the customer asks for it: https://www.scribd.com/doc/26128795/...tor-TSB-09-097

This problem persisted with later models and the original TSB was revised to include them. Later versions of the TSB leave out the part about good will for out-of-warranty.

Good luck to you. Ours went out at 60,000 miles on a trip to a wedding on a 110°F day. I have two Hondas and have had major repair problems with both of them. I contact Honda "zone reps" by following the directions at the Honda owner web site. When they decline to get involved I submit a letter with documentation and have never failed to get some consideration. Usually it is a Honda "loyalty card" that works like a credit card for anything at Honda dealers. In the case of my blower motor, Honda simply covered most of the cost at the time of service and I have had no further problems with the resistor.
Cheers.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by valk97
2010 Fit Sport with 43K

Heater / AC Blower will operate only on high speed.

Based on the numerous posts on this subject, it seems the blower resistor is bad and needs to be replaced.

Questions..
Based on the following TSB for a 2009 Fit, Honda recommends replacing the blower motor in addition to the resistor, which will probably be a bit pricey. Wonder if replacing the motor is really necessary?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26128795/2009-Honda-Fit-Blower-Motor-TSB-09-097

Is replacing the resistor (and motor if necessary) as easy as it appears based on the instructions in the TSB? Any gotcha’s?? (TSB states the repair should not be attempted by "do-it-yourselfers". Figure thats just hype, but you never know

Wonder what the chances are of Honda fixing this as a “Good Will” gesture (which was hinted at in the 2009 TSB). I don’t think the blower resistor should be failing at this point in the game, especially in a Honda.

Thanks
Bill
Screw size ?
What size are the screws for the resistor ? Ready to replace but can't figure out size, Please Help !

Old 04-19-2018, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
My Turn Now - Failing Blower Motor

My 2013 Fit blew the blower motor resister. I replaced it yesterday and can now hear the blower motor struggling with the lower speed settings.

My question; Has anyone successfully taken the blower motor apart and lubed the bearings? Or is is a factory sealed deal?

Old 04-19-2018, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear that owners of newer Fits still face this issue. Somewhere in here I read that the bearings are sealed. My 2009 has been fine since Honda replaced the unit under the terms of the technical service bulletin. See my post above. Honda will replace these in out-of-warranty cars. Mine failed at 60+K.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm... Min is at about 110,000 miles. Wonder what my chances are?

Old 04-19-2018, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marklj
Hmmm... Min is at about 110,000 miles. Wonder what my chances are?
Check the bottom of the first page.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/26128795/...tor-TSB-09-097

It costs nothing to inquire. I have found that contacting the customer service people in California (see website) sometimes leads to more consideration than if the dealer contacts them alone. Unfortunately I have had some expensive problems with our two Hondas and have had some success with customer service even though cars were well out of warranty. They know they have problems.

As I recall, when the resistor fails, it pretty much takes the motor, too.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
I called Honda customer service (1-800-999-1009) and talked to Brittany. She said that due to the mileage and age of the car Honda would not cover the repair. But she said that if I was to take the car to the Honda dealer they would "work with me on a discounted repair price".

So I can probably fix it cheaper myself that any 'discounted' dealer charges.

I did find the cheapest prices so far at Rockauto.com. They have four brands available. All for $44.79 each. Probably go with the VDO brand unless someone has a better recommendation.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...wer+motor,6916

Old 08-30-2018, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
Replaced Blower Motor Yesterday

The blower motor completely died. It got really loud before it quit.

Replaced it with the VDO model from Rockauto for $55 including shipping. Seems to be a quality part. Even had balance weight clips on the blower wheel. Very quiet operation now.

• Built in ISO/TS certified facilities and manufactured to the same quality standards as motors they supply to global OE automakers worldwide
  • VDO exclusive Dual Bearing design technology provides quieter, efficient motor operation, and dependable performance
  • Utilizing two ball bearings, bearing retainers, and riveted magnets, VDO motors set the standard for motor design and technology
  • Precision assembled and balanced with all new components for vibration free operation.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:09 PM
How is that VDO motor working? I’m also about to order one from rock auto. Considering the original failure mode for these things, the dual bearing system seems promising. A quieter fan would also be a nice upgrade…

I have a 2011 sport and my girlfriend has a 2009 sport. Both had the same issue with the fan only working on the highest speed. I replaced the resistor on hers and it’s good. On mine, it got to the point that the fan doesn’t turn on at all. I replaced the resistor and had no luck. I’m hoping that the fan motor is actually just blown and that replacing the motor will get everything working again. From what I can tell the AC and blower motor fuses look OK. I’m probably also going to replace her blower motor so that we don’t have another resistor to replace in the near future. It’s already squealing a bit at times.

Last edited by Frank Kauffman; 07-22-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Over a year now with no issues. Nice and quiet.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Check Amazon. Got a non-OEM blower motor for $36 (August 2019).

Old 08-27-2019, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
When the motor fails (drags) it will draw a lot more current than what the resistor can handle. The resistor will blow over time, leaving only the high speed working. If you keep it running on high speed for a prolonged time, it might melt other components too. I had the actual fan switch melt on other cars because of this issue.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Called up my local Honda Service Center and the service manager said she had to check with Honda if they would goodwill this. I have a 2010 and 115,000 miles so she said probably not. Also mentioned it would cost me diagnostic check ($89) before Honda would give her a response.

All of that to say, I'll probably end up doing this myself. Right now, I'm debating if I should go OEM with a known defective design (although mine lasted 115,000 miles) or 3rd party. Would love to hear more people chime in with regards to cost and durability of those options. Thanks!

Quick Reply: HVAC Blower Motor works only on high speed