2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

2009 Honda Fit Sport Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
my .02

I have an 09 SSM fit with 124k on the odometer...

I started hearing this sound around 70k and changed the fluid with OEM fluid, sound went away. Came back in the 90's....changed it again, and changed it a third time @100k as part of my own driveway milestone maintenance where i changed out brakes and brake fluid, antifreeze and ATF. I did it again around 120k.

Another hard driver here, severe service, recommended the 3x drain and fill when you start hearing this to guarantee all new fluid in the crankcase.

What I have noticed:

1) the drain and fill method works....the car will perform better....this is not an ideal solution since each time you do it you run the risk of putting to much fluid. the manual says 2.5 but each time I put that in,the dipstick is low....

2) at each drain and fill I noticed the magnetic plug ALWAYS had some residue on it, presumably the the wear and tear shavings of my transmission.

3)Not sure about all fits but my fit HATES 1.5k-2k revs....if I am lightly accelerating in that range, the engine sounds rough and I'm pretty sure this is the range where that sound happens (and around 30 mph). I accelerate briskly and then get off the gas and coast. This driving style is a pain in the ass in NYC, but I'm used to it.

At my current mileage my shifts are a bit hard but not sure if it's the Trans or the engine mounts (this engine moved alot when shifting and accelerating....seriously, put the ebrake on, foot on the brake, and accerlerate while someone checks it out in a parking lot). But the sound is largely gone so long as I keep changing it out every 20k

Old 10-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Spaddock
Hi, We took our 2009 Fit to the dealer. They were not able to replicate the sound. Had the Transmission Fluid changed. The transmission sounds quieter and smoother than before. I have not heard the grinding sound since. My wife has heard it only once since. We have decided that getting it documented before the warranty expired and having the transmission fluid changed is all we can do at the moment. As someone else posted, though others have same problem, no one has talked about it destroying the transmission or causing the car to perform badly, yet. I am not going to worry about it until it starts happening regularly and can be replicated for the mechanic or is causing some difficulty with the car. Good luck.
Maybe I'll change my fluid too. My car makes the sound every day haha.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
checking in too. its only on cold, once it warms up its gone.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:46 PM
My 09 fit makes a noise constantly I've 20 mph have 120,000 miles on it . Am going to try to change the fluid and see if it quiets down or goes away. If not I guess I will need a new trans. Love the car too much to let it go

Old 09-15-2016, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sparky1967
My 09 fit makes a noise constantly I've 20 mph have 120,000 miles on it . Am going to try to change the fluid and see if it quiets down or goes away.
If this is the first ATF replacement that you know of on your car, best practice is to drain & fill three times. This will result in more than 90% new fluid.

Despite that, the others have said that no impending failure results from the noise...so you could continue to drive it without worry.

++++++++++++++

Just as an aside, some AT CR-Vs have developed a whining noise that (similarly) is annoying but doesn't cause a problem. In that car (5sp auto) the source is a bearing that is part of the outer transmission case.

Just throwing that out there in case someone has replaced one of those bearings on the Fit and resolved the issue.

here's an image of all the bearings in the Fit Automatic.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Honda Fit Sport Grinding Noise-tk64a0200a.png  
Old 09-15-2016, 09:37 PM
First fluid change done

Well I changed the fluid this last weekend and noise is still there. Going to change it 2 more times this weekend. But I doubt if it's going to change. The noise sounds like a wheel bearing that is completely shot but replaced those weekend before last and no change. I would have never thought that parts for a Honda would be this hard to find. Can't even get a trans filter at the parts store cause they keep telling me it's not serviceable. Here hoping that the fluid exchange helps some