2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Replaced OE Battery but new ones made in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Replaced OE Battery but new ones made in Mexico

Well, my 2009 Fit needed a jump on Friday morning so I went to the dealership to the dealership and bought a new OE Honda 151R battery.

The original has been in the car since I bought it new in Nov. of 2008. I've been very happy with its life span.

The new one I bought from Honda is marked Honda on the front, but is made in Mexico and not Japan like the original. Not sure if it will last as long as the one made in Japan.

Does anyone know who builds the batteries for Honda in Mexico? Is it Johnson Controls?

I focused on cleaning the battery tray and terminals for the new battery and didn't inspect the new battery's label for clues concerning the factory.

Original Japan Made Battery: If you notice, the liquid is at the lower marking. It almost appears like I could have just added some distilled water and she would have been good to go?

Name:  IMG_3139.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  93.5 KB

New Mexico Made Battery:

Name:  IMG_3117.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  100.7 KB

Old 06-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Its a localized battery (cheaper made) from Interstate battery private labeled for Honda. Who knows, it might be better quality then the OEM Fujikawa or Yuasa battery....

Originally Posted by Shora
Well, my 2009 Fit needed a jump on Friday morning so I went to the dealership to the dealership and bought a new OE Honda 151R battery.

The original has been in the car since I bought it new in Nov. of 2008. I've been very happy with its life span.

The new one I bought from Honda is marked Honda on the front, but is made in Mexico and not Japan like the original. Not sure if it will last as long as the one made in Japan.

Does anyone know who builds the batteries for Honda in Mexico? Is it Johnson Controls?

I focused on cleaning the battery tray and terminals for the new battery and didn't inspect the new battery's label for clues concerning the factory.

Original Japan Made Battery: If you notice, the liquid is at the lower marking. It almost appears like I could have just added some distilled water and she would have been good to go?

New Mexico Made Battery:

Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
Its a localized battery (cheaper made) from Interstate battery private labeled for Honda. Who knows, it might be better quality then the OEM Fujikawa or Yuasa battery....
Interstate is pretty good.

Let's see how long she lasts.

Hopefully by the time she dies, something really good in this size will become available.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
OP. Was this the first time the battery died? I am having problems as well. I had it in to Honda for something else and they charged battery and said it was OK. THe next day car started but then day after battery dead again. I am suspecting battery is shot vs a light or something killing it.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
OP. Was this the first time the battery died? I am having problems as well. I had it in to Honda for something else and they charged battery and said it was OK. THe next day car started but then day after battery dead again. I am suspecting battery is shot vs a light or something killing it.
The cranks took a bit longer during the last week, but it always started on the first attempt.

Then on Friday it didn't start so I jumped it and it started up fine the very first time.

I bought the battery friday but only installed it this Sunday as I've been using another car in the mean time.

Unless the issue returns, I will assume that it was only the battery and not something else like the alternator.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
The cranks took a bit longer during the last week, but it always started on the first attempt.

Then on Friday it didn't start so I jumped it and it started up fine the very first time.

I bought the battery friday but only installed it this Sunday as I've been using another car in the mean time.

Unless the issue returns, I will assume that it was only the battery and not something else like the alternator.
I just wanted to update you that all has been perfect since replacing the battery. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member

the liquid is at the lower marking. It almost appears like I could have just added some distilled water and she would have been good to go?
You could NOT have counted on that. A lead-acid battery's plates could become sulfated, and lose effectiveness on one or more cells. Keeping the battery electrolyte over the plates will definitely extend the new battery's life.

The condition of the cell plates inside the battery determines whether or not a battery is still serviceable. Current is produced when sulfuric acid in the battery reacts with lead in the cell plates. As the battery discharges, sulfate accumulates on the plates and reduces the battery's ability to make current. The sulfate is returned to solution when the alternator recharges the battery by forcing current to flow in the opposite direction.

Over time, some of the sulfate becomes permanently attached to the plates. The sulfate forms a barrier that diminishes the battery's ability to produce and store electricity. This process can be accelerated if the battery is run down frequently or is allowed to remain in a discharged state for more than a few days. If the plates have become sulfated, therefore, the battery won't accept a charge and will have to be replaced.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
You could NOT have counted on that. A lead-acid battery's plates could become sulfated, and lose effectiveness on one or more cells. Keeping the battery electrolyte over the plates will definitely extend the new battery's life.
Thanks, so I guess it was the battery's time to go. Almost 5 years so good by me.

Thanks for the info Sir.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 PM
My recently purchased 2013 Fit base automatic has the translucent battery, made in Japan.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by tankton
My recently purchased 2013 Fit base automatic has the translucent battery, made in Japan.
The oem ones are all built in Japan. Only one that's Mexico is the replacement you get from the parts center.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
well i finally reached that point where its time for me to get another battery. Last 2-3 weeks the car has had a longer cranking time before it would start over, yesterday I pulled the fit out the garage and let it sit all day as i was doing work in my garage, when it came time for me to bring in the fit, it did not start. Battery was completely dead. I had to use my wifes car to jump it and get it in the car. this morning it started but took longer then usual once again. mind you this is also my original battery from when I purchased the fit back in nov 08. Heading to the dealer after work to pick up a new one..

Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 AM
Banned
That is pretty good mileage before battery failure compared to some other owners.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
Yea can't complain, got a battery from the dealership and cranks up right away now. Glad it was something that simple and nothing more expensive

Old 08-31-2013, 10:10 AM
I did some research on this. Most of the batteries at Walmart, Costco, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, and Sears are made by Johnson Controls. In fact, most of the Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

Probably all of the vehicles which originate in Japan have the Japanese made battery from YUASA. YUASA mainly makes batteries for motorcycles by the way.

So I would bet money that this new battery is made by Johnson Controls.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by SevereService
I did some research on this. Most of the batteries at Walmart, Costco, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, and Sears are made by Johnson Controls. In fact, most of the Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

Probably all of the vehicles which originate in Japan have the Japanese made battery from YUASA. YUASA mainly makes batteries for motorcycles by the way.

So I would bet money that this new battery is made by Johnson Controls.
Honda uses 2 vendors for the oem battery, Fujikawa and Yuasa. I wished they use Panasonic as they tend to last a long time. A lot of Japanese built Toyota come with Panasonic and they tend to last anywhere from 6-10 years, they are pretty amazing. My 03 4runner battery has a date of 11/02 and it still works and holds a charge.

The oem honda replacement supplier is Interstate batteries.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Ugh... I hope Im not in for a new battery. Ive been running the same stock one since 2007 purchase.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ Don't feel special. Our 2007's battery is OE, also. BUT we have needed to top off the distilled water inside it every fall.