2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Readiness monitors, cold weather, and inspection stickers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Readiness monitors, cold weather, and inspection stickers.

My 2009 Fit Sport w/manual and 97,000 miles needed an inspection sticker in January for 1st time--used to be April. Also needed new battery--started slow in cold weather. So I bought a new 151R battery and it started much better, even down to 0 degrees, the coldest it gets where I live. The new battery meant that all readiness monitors reset. I knew I had to wait in MA for all readiness monitors to show "ready" with exception of 1 in order to get inspection sticker, so I checked with Torque program every morning. Went from 5 not ready to 3 not ready to 2 not ready, then back to 5! Finally, I waited a few more days and only Evap had not run, so I got my inspection sticker, but I continued to check the readiness monitors. What I saw is that if temperature is under 30 there is a chance all monitors will reset on 1st start of day. If under 25, they will definitely all reset. The car has no other issues and has never ever had an MIL light. It runs fine, but getting a January sticker in MA if this car is left in an unheated area, is problematic.

The dealer is useless. Can't get beyond asking, "Why are you checking readiness?" and "How do you know your testing equipment isn't faulty? They claim they never heard of readiness resetting in any Honda car unless battery is disconnected or a test tool orders it.

This problem could have been there since day 1. Car would be fine in warm April weather when I used to get it inspected. Anyone else with this problem? Did you figure out a solution?

Old 01-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Are you leaving the torque "dongle" (idk what to call it lol) plugged in overnight? Maybe it is pulling more power than it's designed to overnight in the cold weather and killing power to the ECU faster than the capacitors are recharging?

Can you hot plug it to use it? Maybe don't use it for a while and then hot plug it and see if the monitors are all cleared, unplug it over night, check again in the morning.

Add on aftermarket equipment is always the first thing I look at, just a hunch.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Are you leaving the torque "dongle" (idk what to call it lol) plugged in overnight? Maybe it is pulling more power than it's designed to overnight in the cold weather and killing power to the ECU faster than the capacitors are recharging?

Can you hot plug it to use it? Maybe don't use it for a while and then hot plug it and see if the monitors are all cleared, unplug it over night, check again in the morning.

Add on aftermarket equipment is always the first thing I look at, just a hunch.
I have accidentally left the ELM327 in all night. When the temp is over 30, nothing resets, even if I just leave it in when starting. The ELM327 must draw very little power when engine is off. Today, I plugged ELM327 before 1st start in AM with car in run position with engine off and read only evap needed to be ready. Started car and immediately all non-continuous monitors were NOT ready. Temperature was 23 degrees and car started easily and fast. Nothing else reset such as radio code that happens with battery disconnect. Remember, this problem started before I monitored on regular basis, when I just wanted to know if ready for inspection and plugged ELM327 in momentarily.

The only aftermarket things on the car that draws power is an auto-dimming mirror with compass and temperature. It draws very small current and nothing while engine is starting. Car can sit 3 weeks and then starts fine. Also, before this problem, I had Ultragauge plugged into OBDII connector all the time. Is it possible that the Ultragauge loaded the control module circuit enough to cause this problem? I'll be sure to have nothing plugged into OBDII and see if problem continues.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by hspatz
before this problem, I had Ultragauge plugged into OBDII connector all the time. Is it possible that the Ultragauge loaded the control module circuit enough to cause this problem? I'll be sure to have nothing plugged into OBDII and see if problem continues.
I was thinking something like this, I think I misunderstood how the Torque program communicates I guess, I thought it plugged into the OBD port. I would be looking at anything plugged into the OBD port. I don't think it's a battery issue.

I once had a car that reset the monitors every time it was turned off, and it was a design issue with the ECU for one model year and the manufacturer even had a TSB about it... Made it a pain to smog for sure. Sort of unrelated and sort of not, just emphasizing it's probably not the battery or the charging system or anything like that. I think you are on the right track not having anything plugged into OBD for a while.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
I was thinking something like this, I think I misunderstood how the Torque program communicates I guess, I thought it plugged into the OBD port. I would be looking at anything plugged into the OBD port. I don't think it's a battery issue.
Torque is a program that works on an Android phone. The ELM327 device that communicates with the Torque program plugs into, and is powered by, the OBDII port.

I once had a car that reset the monitors every time it was turned off, and it was a design issue with the ECU for one model year and the manufacturer even had a TSB about it... Made it a pain to smog for sure. Sort of unrelated and sort of not, just emphasizing it's probably not the battery or the charging system or anything like that. I think you are on the right track not having anything plugged into OBD for a while.
This car requires multiple drive cycles to set the EVAP monitor, maybe others. It definitely should store the monitor information. I will make sure not to have anything plugged in during cold starts and will report if any change.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Ah, got ya. I was wondering how it communicated if not through OBD then

Yes, just leave everything unplugged from the OBD for like a week. The EVAP is always a pain, takes forever on every car I've had honestly. I'm sure you've seen some people have car issues even with the throttle controllers on here, CELs and stuff.

Good luck

Old 01-23-2015, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
No reset of readiness until today. It was 23 degrees here in the AM, coldest of last few days. I started car with no extra current draws and nothing plugged into OBDII port. It started fine--fast and easy. Car had only Evap to go yesterday when I stuck ELM device on port momentarily, then disconnected before shutting car off. After a minute of running today, stuck ELM327 device into OBDII and all readiness had reset.

Obviously has something to do with cold, but not plugging anything into port while starting.