Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/)
-   -   '13 Fit A2 Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/89605-13-fit-a2-maintenance.html)

mandobaron 05-26-2015 09:21 AM

'13 Fit A2 Maintenance

I'm at 30K miles on my '13 Fit, and it's time for an A2 maintenance according to the maintenance minder, which seems to be an oil change, tire rotation, cabin and air filters, and a general once over of belts etc according to the manual.

Looks like the dealer and local garages want around $150 for the work. I did a little research and it seems like the air filter and cabin filter replacement is pretty easy to do yourself. I have zero car skills, but it still seems too easy to mess up, but perhaps I am over simplifying things. It seems like for $30 worth of filters I can do the work myself. Looking at Amazon, it seems like this is the way to go:

Air Filter - $11:

Cabin Filter - $13:

Does that all make sense to more experienced folks out there? Again, I have no car work experience...

In terms of making sure belts and such are all tight and in order, is that something I can do myself? The car runs like a dream and I haven't had any problems from a driving perspective.

I'll probably get the oil changed somewhere else. I learned to change my oil in the past, but its worth it (to me) to have somebody else deal with the mess and fuss for a couple bucks (usually around $60 for a full synthetic change and a new oil filter).

Thanks for all the help!
Baron

Rampo 05-26-2015 12:12 PM

The cabin air & engine air filters are very easy to replace. Just take your time and note how all the parts are oriented. Replace with the new parts in the same way the old parts came out. On the cabin air filter there should be an arrow and marking on the side of the filter showing "Air Flow".

The engine filter only goes in one way so just be aware of how the old one came out. Make sure everything is seated properly before snapping the 4 retaining clips shut. Whole job should be no more than 15 minutes

Carbuff2 05-27-2015 04:28 AM

Be aware that the cabin filter you linked does not seem to have an activated charcoal component as the factory ones do. The description just mentions that it can replace the filters with the carbon layer.

If you or your passengers suffer from allergies you may want to spring a few extra dollars for an OEM filter.

PS I wait until pollen season subsides before changing the cabin filter. That way, airflow during hot weather is increased...

Mister Coffee 05-30-2015 11:29 AM

@the OP: These items are easy. Air and cabin filters are drop-in (remove old one, drop in new one). Getting to the cabin filter may be annoying, but it is not difficult. Changing the engine filter will take literarily less than a minute. Oil and oil filter is easy if you have the tools, time and garage space.

Regarding belt condition: As far as I know, that is a common-sense visual inspection. If they look cracked or damaged, which they will not at 30k mi., you may have a concern.

Regarding belt tension: Do we or do we not have an automatic belt tensioner on the GE? Anyone know?

Oneoldphlaytis 05-30-2015 02:58 PM

(if i haven't messed this up)
engine air filter:

a couple on cabin filter:

should be worth about a thousand words..