Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/)
-   -   2010 fit sport steering wheel fail (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/91498-2010-fit-sport-steering-wheel-fail.html)

1toughfit 10-28-2015 04:41 PM

2010 fit sport steering wheel fail

In need of help...

I have 2010 fit sport,
It has125k miles

I was making a turn at 20 mph on exit ramp and the steering wheel failed and I was unable to turn back on center. Fit went off road and I was able to stop 4 ft away from the tree. Steering warning light showed up and after few minutes, light was off and steering wheel was working fine.

So, I drove to the nearest shopping mall and kept making turns in empty parking lot to test it. The same thing happened 4 times.
I called honda dealership, service rep told me to check battery (I installed new one about 2 months ago) and alternator.
I went to my friend's shop (5 miles away) with emergency light on, and tested both, and both are good.

Anyone having similar issue? It is really scary to drive it....I heard that Mini is having recall for electric steering wheel fail....any recall on this?

Since there is nothing connecting steering wheel and axle, if electric steering wheel fails, it can cause serious accident. ...

ampete04 10-28-2015 09:51 PM

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...g-failure.html

ezone 10-28-2015 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1toughfit (Post 1324798)

Since there is nothing connecting steering wheel and axle, if electric steering wheel fails, it can cause serious accident. ...

There is ALWAYS mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the front wheels.

You are NEVER without a means to steer the car.

The power assist may diminish or go away in the event of a failure, but you can always steer.
You may need to muscle up as it will be 100% manual steering if it loses power assist.

Same goes for power brakes if the engine were to stall while you are moving. You WILL have brakes and can stop the car, but the power assist will be gone after about two pumps of the pedal and you will have to use leg muscle to push the brake pedal.

electric steering wheel
It's Electric Power Steering: EPS.

As far as the EPS light and problem, if your mechanic can't read fault codes from the EPS system, take it to your Honda dealership.

HTH

1toughfit 10-29-2015 09:03 AM

Thank you all for reply.

I've had car that did not have old power steering, but it was not hard to turn conpare to EPS without power....

I talked with Honda USA, and dealership and Made appointment.

1toughfit 11-04-2015 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1toughfit (Post 1324851)
Thank you all for reply.

I've had car that did not have old power steering, but it was not hard to turn conpare to EPS without power....

I talked with Honda USA, and dealership and Made appointment.

Conicelli honda Dealer in Conshohocken, couldn't find/duplicate the problem and told me to come back when it fails...
When i check my blackbox, mechanic abused my car, redlining every stop sign and signals...
...what a piss of shxt dealer...

ezone 11-04-2015 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1toughfit (Post 1325347)
When i check my blackbox, mechanic abused my car, redlining every stop sign and signals...
...what a piss of shxt dealer...

Be upset at the individual who did it, not the dealership as a whole.

One or two events of full throttle acceleration and letting the trans shift at redline is not really considered abuse IMHO .........when performed by a competent professional who is really looking for issues and evaluating engine/trans/vehicle performance, you might be surprised by how much info we can glean by doing this.

However, doing this repeatedly after every stop could be considered "less than professional" and maybe even reckless driving, IMHO.

If you have hard evidence of real abuse, I would think the General Manager, Dealer Principal, and/or the owner of the dealership would be interested in seeing it.

When i check my blackbox,
Got a link to your 'black box'? I'm curious.

1toughfit 11-04-2015 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 1325355)
Be upset at the individual who did it, not the dealership as a whole.

One or two events of full throttle acceleration and letting the trans shift at redline is not really considered abuse IMHO .........when performed by a competent professional who is really looking for issues and evaluating engine/trans/vehicle performance, you might be surprised by how much info we can glean by doing this.

However, doing this repeatedly after every stop could be considered "less than professional" and maybe even reckless driving, IMHO.

If you have hard evidence of real abuse, I would think the General Manager, Dealer Principal, and/or the owner of the dealership would be interested in seeing it.
Got a link to your 'black box'? I'm curious.

I will upload it on YouTube by this weekend

darthfit 11-23-2015 03:41 PM

My 2010 fit sport will be reaching 125K soon... I'll watch out for that.

What's "black box"?

Thanks.

dwtaylorpdx 11-23-2015 04:58 PM

The complete rack assembly is < 600 bucks almost everywhere, don't let the dealer ***k you on the labor, there are several who have reported 2500 dollar quite on this work.. Even more than my BMW 330xi cost for anew rack.

1toughfit 11-23-2015 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by darthfit (Post 1327420)
My 2010 fit sport will be reaching 125K soon... I'll watch out for that.

What's "black box"?

Thanks.

Its a in-dash-cam. Whenever I turn on the car, it turns on also and records speed, sound, position with video. It can also record for short time after I lock the car...