Pioneer 6000-NEX w Apple Carplay Installed in my GE8

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Pioneer 6000-NEX w Apple Carplay Installed in my GE8

Here is my latest mod, finally got a chance to snap photos and make a review about it.

Pioneer 60000-NEX with Apple Carplay upgradeability

AVIC-6000NEX - <b>NEW!</b> - In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6.1” WVGA Touchscreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA

The unit has the capability to be upgraded to Apple's Carplay once it becomes available (most likely later in the year) but has a full Apple Ipod integration and can play music as well through your Bluetooth connection.

What I ended up purchasing consisted of the following:

Pioneer 6000-NEX head unit
Metra Double-Din Kit
Metra 70-1729 wiring harness
Metra 40 HD-10 Honda specific Antenna adaptor

Final installed pics with the home screen options

Navigation screen

AV options menu, as you can see there are a ton of inputs you can add

Full phone integration including Siri hands-free

Dial screen with the phone integration

The real reason why I wanted this unit, is the fact that it provides real-time traffic updates and reroutes

It also has HD radio already installed in the unit without having to buy any adaptor

Bluetooth audio allows you to stream your audio files but I am now just using a dedicated Ipod for everything since I have noticed it is a better quality audio

Full Ipod integration including playlists, artist and album info

This is where I ended up mounting the bluetooth wired mic, I will end up replacing this install for one that is more flush

I ended up removing the OEM USB mount and instead snaked the Pioneer USB through that location. I also ended up mounting the Navigation Antenna so that it could be a cleaner overall install.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Looks great, and nice write-up!

-Dustin

Old 10-02-2014, 01:30 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Looks great, and nice write-up!

-Dustin
Thanks Dustin!

After using this unit for a few weeks I realized that Ipod older than a few years old don't work well with this unit so I ended up buying a new one

Attached Thumbnails Pioneer 6000-NEX w Apple Carplay Installed in my GE8-45bcdb07-5e65-4e7a-bbd5-175259ae981c.jpg  
Old 10-03-2014, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
When I still had my Kenwood DNX9980HD installed, I eventually found that I could leave the GPS antenna in an opening right above the center vents (you'll see it if you pop the radio and trim out). I shoved the antenna in the opening and let the wire run down between the two vents... there's just enough room once you put the radio and trim back in to avoid squeezing the wire.

Originally, I had the antenna in the upper glove box too, coming straight out of the radio trim where you'd shove a flat tip to pop the trim out, though the antenna just wasn't mounted to any surface... and I have found since, that it has much better pickup above the vents. My sat signals got consistently better and I am assuming because it's not too close to the pillars and that it has one layer less plastic blocking it.

But now, I switched the unit to a DNN991HD and it has wi-fi dongle I needed to deal with... so I shoved that in there too! Picks up my home wi-fi about as well as can be expected (since its on the other side of the house).

The other nice thing is... I don't have to use the adhesive or anything to mount it... it just fits in there. Not snug, but not loose enough for it to go anywhere.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Pioneer officially launched the Firmware upgrade for Apple Carplay yesterday.

I will upgrade my unit soon and give everyone an initial review soon.

Originally Posted by Goobers
When I still had my Kenwood DNX9980HD installed, I eventually found that I could leave the GPS antenna in an opening right above the center vents (you'll see it if you pop the radio and trim out). I shoved the antenna in the opening and let the wire run down between the two vents... there's just enough room once you put the radio and trim back in to avoid squeezing the wire.

Originally, I had the antenna in the upper glove box too, coming straight out of the radio trim where you'd shove a flat tip to pop the trim out, though the antenna just wasn't mounted to any surface... and I have found since, that it has much better pickup above the vents. My sat signals got consistently better and I am assuming because it's not too close to the pillars and that it has one layer less plastic blocking it.

But now, I switched the unit to a DNN991HD and it has wi-fi dongle I needed to deal with... so I shoved that in there too! Picks up my home wi-fi about as well as can be expected (since its on the other side of the house).

The other nice thing is... I don't have to use the adhesive or anything to mount it... it just fits in there. Not snug, but not loose enough for it to go anywhere.
Good input!

If I had trouble picking up the signal where the antenna is currently located I was going to move it but it has full bars for me so I didn't bother. The cool thing about Pioneer is that they provide you with an adhesive mount that is also magnetic so it really keeps the antenna from moving around.

I have seen several OEM Navi units really bury their antennas deep within the dash and users have experienced no issues so I guess it really depends on the antenna.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
I suppose, technically, I had full signal too... in that it displays full bars.

But what did change was the accuracy. From 17 feet even on a clear day, to 10 feet even with today's cloudy sky. Not sure if 10 is the max or if there's a way to bring it into single digits.

Anyway... I guess I was just being picky.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:34 AM
i've got a 5000nex that i put in my '13 base model. did the carplay update the first day it came out - it's pretty nice but i don't know that i'll be using it all that much. haven't mounted the microphone yet so it's got limited functionality for me as far as messages/phone, but i prefer the pioneer music interface and the pioneer nav is much better on these, in my opinion. i really like the speed limit displays and such. these units are fantastic, imo!

my nav antenna is just in the dash stuck to a piece of metal. seems to work well. might move it here in a week or two when i pull the head unit out. going to be finishing up my audio install, might post a build log or at least link to one on an audio website when i get it posted up.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 PM
are you able to keep the preinstalled microphone in the car if I have the handsfree already? I don't want to install a second microphone if I have one already.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by frostedfrank
are you able to keep the preinstalled microphone in the car if I have the handsfree already? I don't want to install a second microphone if I have one already.

Thanks!
Good question, I honestly don't know. If the microphone is compatible with the system you can use it but you have to wire it to the system

Old 03-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Update to this system, was able to figure out a flush mount for my microphone after doing some digging

Ended up using an LED light mounting plate and just snaking the cable through there

Before:

After:

Also, took some shots to show the current state of Apple CarPlay. Soon there will be a software release that will allow you to not have to plug in a lightning cable which will make my setup alot more user-friendly so that I won't have to constantly plug in my phone.

Home Screen

Maps (no pinch and zoom)

Text message screen, everything is hidden and you have to ask Siri to send the message for you

Music, downside is no album artwork

Calling screen

Old 03-27-2015, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=Waiz;1299507]Update to this system, was able to figure out a flush mount for my microphone after doing some digging

Ended up using an LED light mounting plate and just snaking the cable through there

[QUOTE]

How well does the microphone work in that location? The reason I ask is because I tried mounting the microphone that came with my JVC head unit on the side of the steering wheel and no one could hear me when I spoke. I ended up having to mount it to the bottom of my rear view mirror and snaked the wire up through the rubber molding around the door jamb and above the edge of the head liner.

-Dustin

Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Administrator
[QUOTE=Bama3Dr;1299509][QUOTE=Waiz;1299507]Update to this system, was able to figure out a flush mount for my microphone after doing some digging

How well does the microphone work in that location? The reason I ask is because I tried mounting the microphone that came with my JVC head unit on the side of the steering wheel and no one could hear me when I spoke. I ended up having to mount it to the bottom of my rear view mirror and snaked the wire up through the rubber molding around the door jamb and above the edge of the head liner.

-Dustin
I don't use the mic very often other than to ask Siri for something. I would say 1 out of 10 times she doesn't understand me with it in it's current location with either the flush mount or this new mount.

You just have to speak a little louder and she normally understands me. Tried it out a few times calling people and they didn't have trouble hearing me as long as I spoke up a bit.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
It may just be my JVC brand unit then. Even with the microphone in it's current spot I still have to speak up for people to hear me clearly. That's mostly when I'm on the highway or interstate with a lot of road noise though. The sensitivity is already set at max in the menu.

-Dustin

Old 03-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
It may just be my JVC brand unit then. Even with the microphone in it's current spot I still have to speak up for people to hear me clearly. That's mostly when I'm on the highway or interstate with a lot of road noise though. The sensitivity is already set at max in the menu.

-Dustin
If you're having trouble in your current location Dustin I think it's the mic itself. Maybe do some digging and see if you can add a different mic?

My Fit is very loud with my current exhaust setup and Siri still understands me while driving so I'm sure Pioneer uses a better mic than JVC.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Hi,
Since I already have the microphone integrated in the car. With steering wheel control for pickup/hang u.

Any chance to be able to use them instead of installing a whole new microphone and having useless steering buttons?

Also, my Air bag light is next to the hazard light switch, I'm guessing after installing the radio it has to be moved to the bottom?

Thanks

Old 03-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by frostedfrank
Hi,
Since I already have the microphone integrated in the car. With steering wheel control for pickup/hang u.

Any chance to be able to use them instead of installing a whole new microphone and having useless steering buttons?

Also, my Air bag light is next to the hazard light switch, I'm guessing after installing the radio it has to be moved to the bottom?

Thanks
I don't know if your microphone works, you would have to ask Pioneer about that, otherwise the kit comes with it's own microphone.

When you purchase the Metra or any double-din adaptor for the GE8 it has a airbag relocation light section that you can relocate the OEM to.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:17 AM
This is the most gorgeous aftermarket Nav setup I have seen so far.... My Fit unfortunately came with a stock radio so I have been looking at options ever since, and this looks like a high contender. Though I'd probably have to take it to a shop once it's ordered because I'm not ballsy enough to mess with wiring and such and I'd f**k it up somehow and with snaking the cables lol >.>

Did you make the piece for the Mic to sit flush next to the Cig lighter or was that something you ordered? As well as did the DDIN Metra kit fit perfectly with the Pioneer or did you have to trim it down?

Old 04-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by ChronicTortuga
This is the most gorgeous aftermarket Nav setup I have seen so far.... My Fit unfortunately came with a stock radio so I have been looking at options ever since, and this looks like a high contender. Though I'd probably have to take it to a shop once it's ordered because I'm not ballsy enough to mess with wiring and such and I'd f**k it up somehow and with snaking the cables lol >.>

Did you make the piece for the Mic to sit flush next to the Cig lighter or was that something you ordered? As well as did the DDIN Metra kit fit perfectly with the Pioneer or did you have to trim it down?
You will not find a better system for the money, only thing is if you want the 7000NEX which has the buttons on the bottom and a slightly larger screen. I prefer them on the side since it is easier access for me.

The Mic piece is something I found, I didn't have to make it but the hole I drilled and the mounting location is custom. You can order the Metra double-din piece and the Honda specific wiring harness all from Crutchfield and take it to a competent installer. I was lucky since I have a good friend who is an installer so we installed it together in my work parking lot during my lunch break

Of all the stereos I have installed in my cars this is the easiest to install so just find a competent installer and don't pay more than $200 max is my suggestion

Old 12-13-2015, 03:09 PM
KAB
LED Mount

Hey there-

Where did you find that mount? I have been looking for one without success.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Administrator
Mount is from Metra, they sell it on Crutchfield

Quick Reply: Pioneer 6000-NEX w Apple Carplay Installed in my GE8