GE8 Sport speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
GE8 Sport speaker question

Hey guys. About a year ago I replaced my stock deck with a JVC Double din and added an amp/sub combo to the trunk at the same time. The sound quality is good, but the itch to upgrade the front speakers has me wondering something. I tend to listen to a lot of podcasts and am looking at getting better quality highs to better hear people speaking.

My 2 options:
1: Replace the stock component setup with another higher quality set and hope that the tweeters are better than stock.

2: Keep the stock tweeter and replace the door woofer with a 2-way 6.5" speaker. The goal to be getting more highs without too much loss in mid-bass.

I plan on installing a dynomat kit in each door when this is done.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

The speakers I am looking at are these:
JBL Stage 602

or

JBL Stage 600C

Old 02-12-2017, 06:02 PM
I have heard talk before that the stock tweeters are pretty bright to make up for the muddy highs of the door speakers. Lots of people here seem to upgrade to Polk components (db651 I think?) and are really happy. Otherwise I might just do the door speakers to get more high-end fill from the front of the car and leave the speakers alone.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Guess I fall into this topic as well. Is it possible to just replace the door speakers without updating/changing the dash tweeters?

The fronts just lack decent "range".

Old 05-25-2017, 06:47 PM
Most stock stereo systems that use tweeters have the tweeters wired in parallel with the woofers.

You can run new door speakers without changing the tweeters, but the overall sound may be too bright since the majority of aftermarket coaxial speakers are at least 2-way, meaning they'll also come with a tweeter mounted to the middle of the woofer. That means you'd be essentially running two tweeters per side.

For podcasts, this would be alright, but for music, it may be too bright depending on your preferences. However, it would be easy to turn off the stock tweeters since all you have to do is pop the tweeter out of the dash and unclip the little wiring harness, so you can choose between having the stock tweeters running or not very easily.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nitewing911
Most stock stereo systems that use tweeters have the tweeters wired in parallel with the woofers.

You can run new door speakers without changing the tweeters, but the overall sound may be too bright since the majority of aftermarket coaxial speakers are at least 2-way, meaning they'll also come with a tweeter mounted to the middle of the woofer. That means you'd be essentially running two tweeters per side.

For podcasts, this would be alright, but for music, it may be too bright depending on your preferences. However, it would be easy to turn off the stock tweeters since all you have to do is pop the tweeter out of the dash and unclip the little wiring harness, so you can choose between having the stock tweeters running or not very easily.
That is good to know. So it seems that getting new 2 or 3 way front door speakers might make the dash tweeters excessive? I don't really want to go the component route. Have an aftermarket headunit and just want to put in better speakers in the front doors to compliment the subs.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by shinjari
That is good to know. So it seems that getting new 2 or 3 way front door speakers might make the dash tweeters excessive? I don't really want to go the component route. Have an aftermarket headunit and just want to put in better speakers in the front doors to compliment the subs.
Whatever speakers you decide to get, you can experiment with the dash tweeters and listen to how things sound with the dash tweeters connected or disconnected. Either way you'll get more clarity with aftermarket speakers that will compliment your low end bass. Depending on how loud you run your subs, you may find that running the dash tweeters sounds good, since it may help your highs to cut through. One thing about door speakers is that it lowers the sound floor since everything is coming up from your feet. Tweeters up top help elevate the sound floor closer to head level. If the dash tweeters add too much top end, you simply disconnect them.

I'd suggest going with a 2-way coaxial with at least a .75" tweeter. I've found the bigger the tweeter, the better, and the 3-way speakers just don't have the room for a good size tweeter. If you're going to run the speakers off head unit power, Infinity or JBL are good choices since their coaxial speakers run at 3 ohms instead of 4, squeezing out a bit more juice from the head unit.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Now I'm confused...not by your comments but by the interwebs. The vehicle configuration features at SonicElectronics says the speakers are 6.5" and Crutchfield says 6.75".

Guess Crutchfields adapter brackets claim they allow both 6.5 or 6.75. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_003HSB...-Brackets.html

Last edited by shinjari; 05-29-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by shinjari
Now I'm confused...not by your comments but by the interwebs. The vehicle configuration features at SonicElectronics says the speakers are 6.5" and Crutchfield says 6.75".

Guess Crutchfields adapter brackets claim they allow both 6.5 or 6.75. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_003HSB...-Brackets.html
Because 6.5" and 6.75" speakers don't have too big a difference, you'll find speakers available for our cars in both sizes depending on the manufacturer. I personally trust Crutchfield's configuration data more than Sonic, so you can use Crutchfield as a starting point and possibly shop elsewhere for better pricing.