2nd Generation GE8 Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

marmaladedad's 2011 Honda Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Thank you gents for the input and increasing the post-count/replies for my thread. It makes it appear that there is more substance than in actuality. Much like any Kardashian.

I am hoping for "stellar" performance from the tail lights, although the other day it seemed three of the LEDs lit up a fraction slower than the rest. Ominous sign of things to come? Possibly. Not as bad as the TPMS light that stays lit continuously. And there are a lot of rattles coming from various areas. Granted, the car is seven years old and currently at 164k.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Made an attempt at replacing the door speakers with some Rockford Fosgates (I picked these on Crutchfield, then noticed several FF members also use/used the same ones). The same Kenwood powered sub (KSC11) that other FF members have will be installed soon - I ran out of daylight/patience. I managed to only break a few plastic trim pieces but collected about ten mosquito bites...per leg. No extra screws leftover either. That is a win in my book.

Door card/cover off (visible in bottom right)

Speaker opening with bracket provided by CF

Orange and blue wires for - and +

Brown and white wires for - and +

RF mounted

Rear door panel, window garnish. You can see a small whitish line near the base of the nipple. That is the plastic ready to break off.

Clean hole, no broken nipple inside.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:46 AM
After it was all tidied up, I can say unequivocally that the sound is....present. I am glad that I managed to not mess it up (but really, it is not that hard for plug-and-play). Like some owners, I only wanted an inexpensive, simple upgrade to the audio system. My non-audiophile ears sense a little bit more of a tinny noise on the highs. I am generally happy with it so far, but am eagerly looking forward to the subwoofer addition. I have spliced in my speaker-wire-connections for the powered subwoofer; I still need to run the power, turn-on-signal, and ground it.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:52 PM
not sure if i missed it in your post, but did you just replace the fronts or all four? and are you running the factory deck or aftermarket?

they look good, i was considering these (if they are in the $50/pair range) but wasnt sure if to chance buying them or shoot for the next model up. I dont hate the factory speakers, but they are overpowered by my 12'' sub in the trunk. I was thinking about getting either a 10'' sub, the pioneer shallow mount, or even a SAS tube, as my box is a bit large, but not sure if i want to give up the lows that it hits. so i guess ill figure out my sub situation before i tinker with the door speakers.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by eulogy
not sure if i missed it in your post, but did you just replace the fronts or all four? and are you running the factory deck or aftermarket?

they look good, i was considering these (if they are in the $50/pair range) but wasnt sure if to chance buying them or shoot for the next model up. I dont hate the factory speakers, but they are overpowered by my 12'' sub in the trunk. I was thinking about getting either a 10'' sub, the pioneer shallow mount, or even a SAS tube, as my box is a bit large, but not sure if i want to give up the lows that it hits. so i guess ill figure out my sub situation before i tinker with the door speakers.
I replaced all four speakers - first the fronts, a few days later the rears. The rears did not make a big impact. If I were to do it again, I would probably skip replacing them. I am running them off the stock HU. I have no plans to replace that, but then again I started off with zero plans to modify this car. I blame everyone else here on FF.

I cannot say about the sub because I have yet to install it (work, kids, etc, but mostly being lazy), but I imagine that the most significant difference will come from the sub.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Still have not installed that sub. Main thing holding me back is to run the wire for power through the firewall, but I am too busy (lazy!) to do it.

I did, however, throw on some cheesy interior LED light kit for the heck of it. The colors can be changed, they can cycle through the various colors, and finally they can (supposedly) react to music. I did not try the last option because having it cycle through colors is pretty distracting. I already have trouble writing coherent texts while driving.

The fuse panel - originally I thought about going with the spot for fog lights since I do not have any, but that is always "on." So I went with the traditional accessory fuse location.

Before the install:

Screwed in (yes, really) to the seats

Picture of it during daylight

Picture of the LED at night (same blue...my camera that also makes phone calls makes it appear purple)

Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 AM
Interesting. Did the kit come with the fuse adapter?, or is that DiY/from-the-internet?

Old 10-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by knope
Interesting. Did the kit come with the fuse adapter?, or is that DiY/from-the-internet?
I purchased the fuse-adapter separately from Amazon. Silly me, the first time around I purchased the standard fuse adapters, but our cars require the low-profile version.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Laying in to my horn the past few days because of crazy drivers and no one seems to react. I had initially installed Hella Supertones when I first bought the Fit, and yesterday I switched out my Hella Supertones for the Hella trumpet-style horns. Since I already had it all wired up from the Supertone-installation, it really was a quick swap. I forgot to take pictures though. Given the area I drive in/through, I had a few opportunities to test out the horns - definitely woke up a few inattentive drivers.

Perhaps it was coincidence. I also like the sound these make.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
you went from hella super tones to the trumpet style ones?

by any chance.... got a sound clip .... in a before/after format? =)

Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
you went from hella super tones to the trumpet style ones?

by any chance.... got a sound clip .... in a before/after format? =)
Ahh, unfortunately I did not. But, I am going to install a set of the trumpet style horns on my FIL's CRV. I will grab a sound byte of the Supertones and trumpets (and the annoying meep meep of the stock horns).

I believe you can find those videos on You Tube as well. I know College Hills Honda has videos and sells the horn-upgrade for CRVs (and other Hondas).

Old 10-15-2018, 11:08 PM
Hella Supertones

Hella Trumpet horns

Old 10-15-2018, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
i feel like the super tones .... hurt people more

Old 10-15-2018, 11:11 PM
I wired them up to the upper horn of the CRV and did not remove the lower horn. Thus, you will still hear a slight "meep" noise in the video. But, generally speaking this should give you an idea of the difference in the sound. Also, the Supertones are pointed upwards in the video, leading to a slightly louder sound than the trumpets (which are facing towards the front).

They are both really loud. I think my washer and dryer got scared. The washer definitely peed a little.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:26 PM
i feel like the super tones .... hurt people more
That was my initial thought too. I had a set of Supertones on my motorcycles back when I used to ride (now, only non-motorized two-wheeled traffic-creating mode of transportation). The horn was obnoxious and loud - exactly what I needed. Oddly enough, they did not cut the mustard in my Fit in LA-traffic. It almost seems like the stock "meep" sound on steroids. The trumpets definitely grab attention. I find any excuse to use them now. I am almost considering pneumatic air-horns, but so far I am pleasantly pleased.

....which was what I initially felt after two days of stock-Fit ownership.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:32 PM
PSA - it is a great feeling when your kids are involved with car modifications and testing out the equipment with you. However, it would behoove one to review the hand signals for "honk the horn" versus "stop and come out of the car."

Apparently my hand signals were misconstrued.

Ears are still ringing from when I leaned over the engine bay to disconnect the wires.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:33 PM
One thing I did not try, and I am wishing I had thought of it earlier, was to test out a Supertone + trumpet horn. Best of both worlds? Maybe. Maybe not.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
* chuckle *

I bet the kids got a kick out of that

Would it be possible to run all 4 hours at once? I wonder what kind of relay work/wiring would need to be involved?

Old 10-16-2018, 01:49 PM
Would it be possible to run all 4 hours at once? I wonder what kind of relay work/wiring would need to be involved?
I have no personal experience with it, but I have read online (so, taken with a grain of salt) that the stock horn wiring can heat up and melt if it is tasked with too much. I know Hella supplies a relay in the Supertones, but I have never used one in any of my vehicles. And so far, knock on wood, no melting of any wires.

The CRV has two horns, each in a separate location. I suppose if I could set up a pair of horns on one wire, then the other wire could handle another two. This is merely a cursory glance - I do not know if the wires are spliced together somewhere up the line.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:51 PM
I forgot there was this video too...

He does a test of the Supertones vs the trumpets both inside the car and outside.

Quick Reply: marmaladedad's 2011 Honda Fit