2nd Generation GE8 Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

My Mongol Rally build with a 2010 Jazz

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:20 AM
My Mongol Rally build with a 2010 Jazz

Hello Fit Freaks,

I finally joined the Jazz club after being a member here for a few months to see how you guys like yours. I'm planning on doing the Mongol Rally this year in it. If you haven't heard of it it's a car rally from Prague to Mongolia (actually ends across the border in Russia now). I am going solo but with 1000 other people doing the rally will most likely link up with some teams to convoy. I will also be driving back via Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, France. So in all will probably be close to a 15K mile trip this summer.

My Ride:
2010 Honda Jazz SE with 60K miles

Future Mods:
Tinted Windows
New Speakers
Adding Rear Speakers (seriously Honda....why skimp on no rear speakers)
Larger Tires
Possible lift (spacer or Insight Springs)
Camping Platform
Roof Rack
Acquiring some recovery gear and spare parts (Starter, Alternator, Shocks, Springs) what else should I bring?

If you have any advice of suggestions for me feel free to comment.

Last edited by Davis2001r6; 11-20-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I would not bring a starter and alternator. They will last a longer than this before needing any service what so ever. Make sure all preventive maintenance is done before the trip and you should be OK.

I'd get a skid plate and a push bar/brush bar to protect the radiator and install off road lights.

I'd bring a compressor and a tire plug kit. Get tire chains too. They could be useful in muddy terrain.

You could get a trailer hitch. It could be useful as a jack/towing point and you can even mount a rack on it or use it as a step to access stuff on the roof rack.

Bring a couple of basic tools and some stuff "just in case" like:
Rope
Tape
Pliers
A bit of electrical wire
Fuel tank epoxy putty (in case you tank has a puncture from a rock or something)

Old 11-20-2018, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
In addition to some of the stuff already mentioned.

I see the reason for the starter and alternator since you could end up in some very isolated areas, but also agree they are low on the list.

I would assume that you could end up in a convoy that you really enjoy and stopping for something small may not work out well. So I think about the following. (Reminder: I know very little about this trip you are planning, but I will likely read like crazy this afternoon because it sounds awesome!)

Small basic socket set, plus extensions
Small wrench set
Spare headlamp and turn signal bulbs
New accessory belt, and keep your old one for a spare
Don't leave with a battery that is more than two years old
Consider a full sized spare along with the tire plug kit
Small electric tire pump
Consider a small floor jack to go along with the factory jack. Will you be changing your oil on this 15,000 mile trip?
Will other drivers be using any handheld radios. Priceless if a convoy forms.
I really liked the tire chain advice. The kit for the fit is small, lightweight, and cheap.

I'm crazy jealous... I'll keep thinking...

Last edited by CyclingFit; 02-07-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
It took me 30 seconds of research to realize that you can easily get mixed into a convoy of experienced drivers and you may get so far into the middle of nowhere that you feel obligated to do whatever they do, to stay with them, or maybe even survive the night... I run air helper springs in the back of my fit and I can say with confidence, my car would be loaded for anything and everything after seeing the following clip.

For those about to give advice, check out this teaser clip.. https://www.theadventurists.com/mongol-rally/

Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by carotman
I would not bring a starter and alternator. They will last a longer than this before needing any service what so ever. Make sure all preventive maintenance is done before the trip and you should be OK.

I'd get a skid plate and a push bar/brush bar to protect the radiator and install off road lights.

I'd bring a compressor and a tire plug kit. Get tire chains too. They could be useful in muddy terrain.

You could get a trailer hitch. It could be useful as a jack/towing point and you can even mount a rack on it or use it as a step to access stuff on the roof rack.

Bring a couple of basic tools and some stuff "just in case" like:
Rope
Tape
Pliers
A bit of electrical wire
Fuel tank epoxy putty (in case you tank has a puncture from a rock or something)
Used starter/alternator can be had for nearly 60 GBP for the two, easy piece of mind and small items.I haven't seen too many brush bar options for the Jazz. I'll be looking to fab up a skip plate or get one done in around Turkey. Compressor is definitely on my list, as is a patch kit. I haven't thought about the epoxy putty, but that's a great idea.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
In addition to some of the stuff already mentioned.

I see the reason for the starter and alternator since you could end up in some very isolated areas, but also agree they are low on the list.

I would assume that you could end up in a convoy that you really enjoy and stopping for something small may not work out well. So I think about the following. (Reminder: I know very little about trip you are planning, but I will likely read like crazy, this afternoon, because it sounds awesome!)

Small basic socket set, plus extensions
Small wrench set
Spare headlamp and turn signal bulbs
New accessory belt, and keep your old one for a spare
Don't leave with a battery that is more than two years old
Consider a full sized spare along with the tire plug kit
Small electric tire pump
Consider a small floor jack to go along with the factory jack. Will you be changing your oil on this 15,000 mile trip?
Will other drivers be using any handheld radios. Priceless if a convoy forms.
I really liked the tire chain advice. The kit for the fit is small, lightweight, and cheap.

I'm crazy jealous... I'll keep thinking...
I changed the battery tonight so it should be good. I'll definitely be getting a fullsize spare. I'll be replacing my tires before I head off with 196/65/15's I think. Also a higher load range to hopefully give me better puncture resistance. Good idea on the bulbs and belt as well.

Do you have any info on the Air Helper Springs?

Old 11-20-2018, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Davis2001r6
Do you have any info on the Air Helper Springs?
Sorry to typo's - I am at work and typing quickly.

It appears I have had them for a little over two years. I am surprised because I thought it had been three years. I first had them on my 2015 and moved them over to my 2018 (2018 has a better air valve mounting since it was my second time around). I think everything in this post would apply to an older generation too. I don't think it is mentioned in my post but a little bit of spray on car polish or water and dish soap on the airbag/spring and the install happens FAST. You have to squeeze them into the coils. When you are not using them you leave them at about 5 psi. I use a low pressure bicycle pump to set the pressure and it takes less than 10 pumps. This is by far one of my most favorite things I have ever done to a vehicle, and actually the fourth vehicle I have had air helpers on.

"American math" because of PSI... at 3 inch diameter, it is about 7 square inches per side of the car. Or 14 square inches total. Example to multiply that by 20 psi and we get 280 additional pounds over the rear tires without the car sagging any. I think the max pressure is 35psi (490 additional pounds directly over the rear wheels)

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...pring-kit.html

Last edited by CyclingFit; 02-07-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Is there any chance you need to extend the fuel range or plan to have fuel if something happened to the tank and you needed to repair? I am thinking an extra few gallons could be a life saver, but also needs stored safely.

Jeep buddies have been using these for years: https://rotopax.com/1-5-gallon-fuelp...category_id=31

Old 11-20-2018, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Will you commit to the sand and mud stuff if the opportunity is in front of you, or will you try to stay on the roads?

https://www.tred4x4.com.au/collections/all

Old 11-20-2018, 06:07 PM
Will you commit to the sand and mud stuff if the opportunity is in front of you, or will you try to stay on the roads?

https://www.tred4x4.com.au/collections/all
To rich for my blood, I was thinking these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Red-A...s/152843090332

If I'm with a group I'll end up doing more stupid stuff, solo I'll play it safer. Those airbags are pretty interesting to me. As I'm solo I don't know if I'll have too much of a load to need them. I passed on your post to a friend who's going to have a car full.

Last edited by Davis2001r6; 11-20-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:16 PM

Made a mockup of the sleeping/storage platform. I won't be able to turn it into reality until a few week though.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
In case it hasn't been mentioned:
Adjust valves and replace fuel filter, spark plugs and oil beforehand. Carry as much good fuel as you can, maybe 1 or 2 jerrycans.
Wood, or metal, plank and small shovel to get yourself out of mud or sand. The plank also allows the use of a jack on soft surfaces.
And maybe 1-2 liters of motor oil, just in case. And an extra air filter for the return trip.

Last edited by hotkey; 11-20-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:42 PM
I have a set of recovery boards picked out. Fuel filter I need to learn to do. The others I had planned on. Still considering my fuel options. That’s nearly the only thing I’ll need on the roof rack.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Davis2001r6
I have a set of recovery boards picked out. Fuel filter I need to learn to do. The others I had planned on. Still considering my fuel options. That’s nearly the only thing I’ll need on the roof rack.
Did you get a chance to check out the link to RotoPax that I shared above? Talk about cool stuff... You can even get one for fresh water or first aid, and a double mount. I am also fairly confident that RotoPax would be made to a quality level that would let you carry them inside the car instead of the roof. Maybe a little salty on price though.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 02-07-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:38 PM
Did you get a chance to check out the link to RotoPax that I shared above? Talk about cool stuff... You can even get one for fresh water or first aid, and a double mount. I am also fairly confident that RotoPax would be made to a quality level that would let you carry them inside the car in stead of the roof. Maybe a little salty on price though.
Yes I saw, I’m pretty familiar with rotopax from stalking expedition portal. It’s really just more than I’m willing to spend.

Sadly ill be selling the Jazz as soon as I get back to the UK (assuming it and me are both alive at that point). So I don’t really want to invest in it.

For fuel fan I was thinking 2-3 of these. They are the smaller size (10L) but didn’t want a full size can up top. Not really sold on cans inside the car, but I’ll probably only fill them once I’m in the Stans.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F142325441312

Old 12-02-2018, 01:24 PM

Tinted my windows today. 20% for rear and small hatch windows, 35% for rear doors, 50% front doors, limo for sunstrip. Cost me £78 including buying a tint tool kit. I’m happy with it for being my first tint job.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Well I finished building the shelf/table and sleeping/storage platform. I'm undecided on paint/stain right now, more for protecting the wood that aesthetics. I also ordered some automotive carpet on ebay so it will blend in and hopefully not attract attention.

The table can be pulled out as a shelf to cook on or slide in for an inside table if the shelf is full.

I can still get the spare tire out with this installed.

Each side is about 11" deep.

The hinged portion nearest the front will just fold back so you move the seats back for driving. From the floor to seat it's 65" of flat area.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
I'm beyond jealous. Definitely following this and good luck! Can't wait to see progress!!

Old 12-17-2018, 12:34 AM
J20
I'd get springs that lift it up a bit. And bigger shocks/sport . Koni oranges are bigger and more robust then stock. Springs off a versa work well in the back.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:05 PM
Thats hot. I like the look of it.

Quick Reply: My Mongol Rally build with a 2010 Jazz