Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/)
-   -   When to replace brake pads? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/48075-when-replace-brake-pads.html)

TWGE08 09-08-2009 06:24 PM

When to replace brake pads?

Ok I have 31k miles with 80% fwy driving and I am wondering if I need to change my break pads already? How many miles are people getting off their stock pads? I know it varies between drivers and the condition but I just want to get a ballpark number.

kenchan 09-09-2009 05:02 PM

as you mentioned, it's hard to give you a ballpark number.

does our brakes have a peek hole in the front? I haven't taken a close look but see if you can see the pads (inside and outside pads) and if you have more than 3mm you're fine. if you're at 2mm you might want to think about getting new pads pretty soon.

TWGE08 09-09-2009 05:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I was planing on changing my oil and rotating my tires this weekend and I wanted to see if new brake pads were necessary before actually taking the wheels off so I could do everything at once. But it looks like I'll have to check my stock pads this weekend and order the pads if needed.

JDMxGE8 11-29-2009 07:23 PM

I'm close to the 30,000 mile mark and feel like I should get new brake pads pretty soon. I'm starting to feel a little shaking when I brake. I want to get new front rotors too.

spreadhead 11-29-2009 07:39 PM

It all depends on your braking habits. I'm at 70K miles, my brakes have well over 50% life left.

punkrock240sx 12-16-2009 07:56 PM

i have little bit over 30k miles on ma fit and start making noise....so what im gonna do is buy slotted rotor with new pads and replace it...

Selden 12-16-2009 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by JDMxGE8 (Post 781040)
I'm close to the 30,000 mile mark and feel like I should get new brake pads pretty soon. I'm starting to feel a little shaking when I brake. I want to get new front rotors too.

Vibration felt through the steering wheel is usually caused by a warped rotor, although it's also possible for bits of brake pad material to become embedded in the rotor surface, forming hot spots. If the rotor isn't warped, a thorough cleaning using 3M Scotchbright pad may help. If you change pads formulation, cleaning is also recommended so that the new pads can bed in properly.

Otherwise, replace only if the pads are at or near minimum thickness, or you aren't satisfied with their performance. At 5000 miles, I have no complaints.

mikejet 02-03-2010 03:32 PM

I had to replace my pads at just under 15k. Stupid canyon runs.

FITProject 03-04-2010 07:34 PM

Depends on how you drive and the weight of the vehicle. One of my co-workers with a mid-90's stick shift Corolla has put well over 50k miles on a set of pads. On the other end of the spectrum, I regularly see people come into work for a 15k service and the front pads are at 3mm or less. Our Q7 SUV eats brakes and with any highway and stop and go driving will blow through a set of pads in under 16000 miles. We've also seen teenage or college students blow through front pads (down to the wear indicators, which come on at 2mm outter) in around 11k miles.

It's all how you drive, measure the brakes when you rotate and just keep track. 3mm is a safe time to change pads, and if you have gone more than 30k miles on one set of pads, its probably a good idea to replace the rotors as well - just as insurance against warpage.

jdmstop 03-07-2010 03:18 AM

Sometimes you will hear brake pad wear indicator going off, its good idea to always get the rotors resurfaced and change out the brake fluids

jdmstop 03-07-2010 03:19 AM

on a second thought, stock brakes sucks!!

z06dustin 03-31-2010 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Selden (Post 788470)
Vibration felt through the steering wheel is usually caused by a warped rotor, although it's also possible for bits of brake pad material to become embedded in the rotor surface, forming hot spots.

this is incorrect, but it's a common myth.

good read:
StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

skytanker2003 04-05-2010 11:20 AM

No one's mentioned this, but do the stock brake pads not have a wear layer that will squeak once you get to the last bit of brake pad? I was pretty sure this was the telltale sign of a much needed brake change...at least that was the case of my Civics!