2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Review: Tein Street Basis Coilovers

Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Review: Tein Street Basis Coilovers

Got these installed by local shop Speedstar today (very professional shop! Highly recommended for anyone in the GTA area). I was initially going to purchase the Street Advance but they were on back order and I didn't feel like waiting / nor did I think I would need the damping adjustment for a street setup.

I had Eibach Pro-kits installed on stock shocks previously. Though I liked the way it looked when it was lowered, I did not enjoy the ride. I have my Teins set up so they are as low as my Pro-Kits before (I am not into the slammed look and I frequent parking lots with speed bumps / steep driveways therefore ground clearance is necessary). I absolutely LOVE how these ride. I have read some reviews saying these are too soft. However, in my opinion they are just PERFECT for street setup. They absorb imperfections of the road BETTER than the stock shock / stock spring set up. Though they do not corner completely FLAT but body-roll is reduced greatly. Handling is greatly improved for spirited driving.

Next summer I may consider taking it to the track after I get a set of new summer tires (currently on Falken 912 all seasons). I will take pictures tomorrow / next few days because it was pouring today. After my experience with these coilovers, I am never going to do lowering springs / stock shocks ever again. The ride can't compare at all.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by panda1314
I absolutely LOVE how these ride. I have read some reviews saying these are too soft. However, in my opinion they are just PERFECT for street setup. They absorb imperfections of the road BETTER than the stock shock / stock spring set up. Though they do not corner completely FLAT but body-roll is reduced greatly. Handling is greatly improved for spirited driving.
Hello,
if you want to reduce your body roll further,
may I recommend Spoon Front Sway Bar,...
here is another thread that currently discussing about Sway Bar:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1199244

Old 08-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for your review and good call not trying to slam it on the ground, those are made to be used exactly how you are using them

Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! Here are the pictures:

After reading reviews on the Spoon Front Sway Bar I am curious and tempted to get it. I will see how the car settles in a few days and handles after my alignment. I really don't want to throw anymore money to it since I got to do my brakes and I am saving up for another bike next spring. We will see what happens next =)

Old 01-25-2014, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Are these coilovers pretty much plug and play? Any special equipment to install?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Hey im also from the GTA. Just wondering what size rim you are running in the pics and are you fully lowered there?

I have black rpf1 in 16" and cant wait for the car to come out of storage in the spring

Old 12-20-2014, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
I have the Street Basis for 3.5 years now and it's still going strong. I assume it's plug n' play, a shop installed it for me along with camber kit without a problem.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:16 PM
I read that your not into slammed look but are there think coil overs able to go lower than your current height?

Old 06-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Im thinking getting some of these coils cant wait just installed a double din on my babi

Old 06-13-2018, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
get em, they're price right!

Old 09-08-2018, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Just installed these on mine a few weeks ago, replacing badly blown T1R GD coilovers.

The T1R's were pretty awful when I got them, as they were meant for a GD Fit, and I just kinda crammed them in. They're also 6k/6k so way too stiff for street driving with the GE. The fronts didn't have upper spring seats, so they clunked badly. The rears were missing the sleeve that goes in the bushings, but I was an idiot and didnt notice so I thought they were clunky because of that. Oh well.

The Tein Street Basis Z coilovers are crazy cheap for what you get. The ride even fully lowered up front is pretty comfortable, more so than stock! Body roll isn't completely flat, but damn, it's pretty good. Confidence inspiring. Suspension travel is decent, so I'm not slamming the bump stops on brick roads or anything, even all the way down. It's also really quiet! No clunks or pops.

Cons: all the way down is definitely NOT slammed, so if you're going for that look, buy something else.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:11 AM
Teins

Can I ask where can i get these from I seen ebay but the prices are different and how would I know if they are real. I can install them myself

Old 10-01-2018, 09:40 AM
thanks for the review.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
I just installed Street Advance Z's (GSB80-91AS2) on my gk5, biggest takeaway is RIDE COMFORT.... WOW! dare I say it .... they are MORE comfy than stock. MORE comfy than koni orange + tein s tech springs

in my case, I do corner flat (maybe because I have a rear sway?) .... when playing with the car on local twistys. perhaps a better test would be on a track or an auto x day.

Conclusion = for the money, these coilovers are def worth it

Old 10-20-2018, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I just installed Street Advance Z's (GSB80-91AS2) on my gk5, biggest takeaway is RIDE COMFORT.... WOW! dare I say it .... they are MORE comfy than stock. MORE comfy than koni orange + tein s tech springs

in my case, I do corner flat (maybe because I have a rear sway?) .... when playing with the car on local twistys. perhaps a better test would be on a track or an auto x day.

Conclusion = for the money, these coilovers are def worth it

where did you buy them from if u dont mind me asking and how much did it cost u guys? i have saved up for a set

Old 10-20-2018, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
ebay

check google shopping, it usually will pull up the cheapest seller

Old 12-12-2018, 08:45 PM
been looking just afraid getting some counterfeit ones at looking at the tein website why cant i just directly order from them?

Old 12-12-2018, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GE82010
been looking just afraid getting some counterfeit ones at looking at the tein website why cant i just directly order from them?
can you share 1 example, of a set of counterfeit ones?

Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
can you share 1 example, of a set of counterfeit ones?

okay well i read this on the tein website https://www.tein.com/counterfeit/index.html

now the ones i look some on ebay they dont show full picture i know some may be real but i messaged them just incase but also the spring needs to be stamped tein as well

Old 12-12-2018, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
so now you know what to look out for

moving forward.... always ask for ACTUAL pics of the item .... done deal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review: Tein Street Basis Coilovers