Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/)
-   -   Shocks and springs for Honda Fit '09 sport (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/94766-shocks-springs-honda-fit-09-sport.html)

hydrocynus 12-10-2016 12:39 PM

Shocks and springs for Honda Fit '09 sport

Hello all,

I need to change the shocks rear and front and the springs for my Honda Fit 2009 sport trim.

What are the parts I need? Looks like KYB is the closest to OEM. I would not mind getting a stiffer shock at the back since I haul a trailer sometimes.

Thanks!!!

Hydro

Fast1one 12-10-2016 02:01 PM

I would recommend the Koni STR.T (orange). They are a modest upgrade that pair well with stock springs as well as lowering springs. Swift are great and don't slam the car. Swift springs use the oem bump stops as a secondary spring rate so don't cut them.

They'll take the edge off of high speed bumps while providing good low speed damping for performance.

hydrocynus 12-10-2016 11:46 PM

Thanks. Are these the 8050-1131 part?

Fast1one 12-11-2016 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by hydrocynus (Post 1359947)
Thanks. Are these the 8050-1131 part?

Yeah and the fronts are 8750-1102L and 8750-1102R. I would strongly suggest you do the fronts as Koni As well! They are only $8 more each than KYB!!!

As far as other parts, you need two new wave washers for the top mounts in the front. You can get them from Honda and they're cheap.

I would also replace the top mounts for the front if your car has some mileage. KYB sells replacement kits and you need two: SM5654

Finally, I would install one camber bolt per side to adjust camber because it is not adjustable from the factory. You can then get a performance alignment (you have to align everything anyway after the install) to dial in a little more negative camber up front which will improve grip. For a daily driver I would shoot for -1 degrees up front with stock toe. I would make sure the alignment shop does their due diligence and makes both sides symmetrical: Eibach 5.81260K (comes with two)

You can purchase all these except the wave washer from tire rack. They have excellent service.

hydrocynus 12-11-2016 10:51 PM

Looks like the price is going to be high. I can get KYB Excel-G OE Replacement, Twin-Tube Gas Shock Part # 348016 for 48 bucks each and KYB Excel-G OE Replacement, Twin-Tube Gas Strut Part # 338001 and 338002 for 98 each for a total of 278.96 plus taxes. Is it good enough?

Just looked at tire rack and they have this kit: 1125-1029. WOuld that work?

Fast1one 12-12-2016 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by hydrocynus (Post 1360005)
Looks like the price is going to be high. I can get KYB Excel-G OE Replacement, Twin-Tube Gas Shock Part # 348016 for 48 bucks each and KYB Excel-G OE Replacement, Twin-Tube Gas Strut Part # 338001 and 338002 for 98 each for a total of 278.96 plus taxes. Is it good enough?

Just looked at tire rack and they have this kit: 1125-1029. WOuld that work?

If you care about performance, $70 more total for a set of Koni shocks and struts that will ultimately handle better and ride better/more comfortable is cheap change, especially since they'll serve you for many miles down the road. But that is a personal choice that you will have to make.

Regarding 1125-1029: Not sure what that part number is. Could you clarify?

hydrocynus 12-12-2016 07:52 PM

1125-1029 is a KONI SRT kit that includes everything but it seems that it lowers the clearance by 40mm and I do not want that as I tow. I really appreciate all the help you provided me with. With some thinking, I decided to go with the KYB with the top mounts and the wave washers. Pep Boy was running a special on the KYB and an additional 35% off. I pretty much drive my fit like a grandpa going on the highway and set the speed limit at 75mph. Although the Koni are really nice I cannot at the moment justify the price even though, I am convinced from what you wrote and what I have been researching that they would be a better choice.

Now, if I may. Can you tell me whether I still need to install the Eibach 5.81260K? It seems that they are popular when installed with Eibach suspension or Koni suspension esp. when the car is lowered. If so, I will order them from amazon and will get them in two day shipped free.

Finally, do I need to change my coil springs at the rear and if so, what is the part number? Again, thank you so much. You are very knowledgeable.

Cheers,
Hydro.

mike410b 12-15-2016 03:24 PM

If you want to save some money, I have brand new in box Koni STR.T rear shocks for the Fit. I bought mine from another member a year or so ago unused as he was selling or had crashed his Fit before install & I'm getting ready to sell mine as well, also before getting around to installing them.

I'll give you a nice discount vs. Tire Rack.

hydrocynus 12-15-2016 05:38 PM

Thanks but I already ordered everything in KYB parts. I just need to get a couple of Honda wave washers and I am all set to install everything this week end, then do an alignment on Monday.