2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Another Swift Spring review

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Another Swift Spring review

This is autocross driving with stock suspension, that's honestly not much roll!

Lowered on Swift springs, it looks much better, the rear gap from factory was scary
2009 Honda Fit Sport (GE8)

Swift Springs review

I bought an automatic car because I have a manual “weekend” car. I told myself to keep it completely normal… Well that lasted less than a week when a C-pillar bar off my old Fit bolted right on to my new one. Sooner than later I thought the front end could use some strengthening and installed a Megan Racing front under brace. It made a really nice difference, solidifying the front end and so I told myself “This is it, keep the springs stock because you don’t want to lose ground clearance or ride comfort!” Until one day I looked at the wheel gap and just felt disgusted and disappointed in myself! That’s when the springs came.

I have come to love Swift springs, I first tried them on my first Fit when it had coilovers, I fitted one end with Swift springs when previously they had Eibach springs with similar spring rates. Immediately in less than a 5 minute test drive, I could tell that the Swift spring was much higher quality. The choppy ride I was used to was dramatically decreased, and overall the car was just much easier to control. My MR2 Spyder came with Tein springs when I bought it, the car rode atrociously and handling was nothing but under steer. After switching to Swift lowering springs, the car felt sporty but definitely bearable for extended drives and handling became nicely balanced and playful. I’ve even installed Swift springs on my mom’s ‘07 Lexus IS350, which yielded a smoother ride and better handling!

I vaguely remember riding in some GE Fits in the past on Swift springs and sadly I remember not liking them that much. The ride was a little busy, just enough to give me a headache because it constantly bounced gently going down the road. But I decided to bite the bullet anyway and try them out. I wanted something that would give a subtle drop while maintaining as much ride comfort as possible. The Fit is a fine performer from the factory and I didn’t need much more performance, maybe just a bit more control would be nice.

The Swifts are now in and I logged about 150 miles on them so far. Here are my impressions. That familiar bounce I talked about is alive and apparent here! It seems like most freeways have a line or something every few feet, and the distance between them line up almost perfectly with the wheelbase of the little Fit so that it keeps rocking back and forth and bobbing the car. The shocks feel like they’re doing their job, it’s the actual SoCal roads along with the reduced compliance that is rocking my poor car and giving me a headache! Yikes, hopefully after more miles the suspension will settle down and get a bit more compliant.

Like I mentioned earlier, I was content with the stock car’s performance. The handling was great and the ride I thought was a really nice compromise between comfort and sportiness. The thing that bothered me was the damn wheel gap! I thought that the stock suspension did not exhibit too much body roll and there was also not much brake dive either. Well now, the car has even less body roll and I can slam on the brakes and barely feel a thing! At highway speeds, the car is also a lot more solid and confident, that I am really happy about.

The ride quality has changed dramatically. I felt like the stock suspension was just a teeny bit “squishy” but in a pleasant way. It felt sporty with just enough cushion to let you relax - that is until you hit a pothole or large bump and the suspension bottomed out, causing me to shriek and shed a tear. The car would bottom out at least once every other drive and I found myself constantly avoiding bumps and keeping my eyes peeled because I really did not want to hit any big bumps.

Fast forward to now, the car almost never feels plush anymore. The suspension feels somewhat like a meaty German-tuned sport suspension that is just a bit firm, but always in control and eager. Bigger bumps and surface imperfections on the road are no doubt more felt, but there is one good thing. I have not felt the car bottom out yet in 150 miles of driving. And that is with me purposely hitting things on the road sometimes. Where the stock suspension relied on the bump stops when things got too ugly, the Swifts have yet to make contact, and I did not trim the stops either! The car does move over bumps with more action and movement, but those movements are a lot more controlled and supported.

Gone is the notion that this is a fairly comfortable (fun) small hatchback, it’s now an angry little slow hot hatch that has something to prove. No road is too boring, it will find ways to show itself. Honestly it’s a bit tiring, but I will give it some more time for things to stew. I just drove about 100 miles of mixed city and freeway driving, and I must admit that I am a little beat up from the busy ride, but I will say that the car feels a lot better in terms of dynamics and control. I will continue to stack on miles and hope that the springs will settle with the shocks and smooth out!

Old 11-24-2018, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Looks good dude.

We'll see if this review holds true for me as well, I just ordered a set of Swifts for my GE.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Oh no... so I hated the ride, but then traffic died down and I took a few turns and my mind was blown by how good it turns and now I can’t go back. Sigh lol its pretty amazing in the turns

Old 11-26-2018, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Hehehe.... I have a really bad idea (wallet wise) for you: Install a pair of RCA (a.k.a. extended) ball joints.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...t-install.html

Last edited by hotkey; 11-26-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
random question for ya.... what PN Swift Springs, did you end up installing?

Old 12-05-2018, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
I thought there was only one part number for the GE8? I'm pretty sure it's 4H021. By the way, thankfully after some time the ride got a little better! On most roads it's fine, but it does still get a little rough over ugly roads, oh well - the cost of trying to squeeze out some extra performance! High speed stability got a lot better. 75+mph used to make me a little nervous, but it's much better controlled at those speeds now.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:36 AM
I have used swift springs on a couple of Subaru’s and I really liked them a lot. They were a great comprise of stiffness/harshness and compliance. I don’t want to lose ground clearance or I would get a set for the fit. As it is I am waiting for my shocks to go and then get the new sport suspension for GK.