2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

'11 GE8 Sport SSM with factory upgrade alloys

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM
'11 GE8 Sport SSM with factory upgrade alloys

Hey, new guy here! Going on week two with my new-to-me GE8. I used to own an '88 CRX, but had to give it up when kids happened. The Fit totally reminds me of a 4-door, slightly taller CRX, and I'm loving it!

However I've been reading all up and down this place (while looking for fun mods) and haven't run across anyone rocking the factory upgraded rims. I assume it's mainly because they're insanely expensive at $1200, or is there another reason? Fortunately for me, this certified pre-owned started life as a dealer margin-winner, as it's loaded with all the crazy dealer-installed options like a cargo tray, (stupid) pinstripe, clear door edge film, and these wheels.

I've been thinking about powder coating them bronze, or maybe black with a polished lip.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 PM
I didnt get them because I think they are ugly as F*CK.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Take two steps back and squint really hard. They look just like TE37s, I promise.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 PM

I wish....Personally I just don't like that each spoke is concave.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Can't go wrong with 7-spokes, for the most part. I'd maybe have bought them... IF they were offered in 17x7. And white

Looks good on your SSM though, good job!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andvari101
Hey, new guy here! Going on week two with my new-to-me GE8. I used to own an '88 CRX, but had to give it up when kids happened. The Fit totally reminds me of a 4-door, slightly taller CRX, and I'm loving it!

However I've been reading all up and down this place (while looking for fun mods) and haven't run across anyone rocking the factory upgraded rims. I assume it's mainly because they're insanely expensive at $1200, or is there another reason? Fortunately for me, this certified pre-owned started life as a dealer margin-winner, as it's loaded with all the crazy dealer-installed options like a cargo tray, (stupid) pinstripe, clear door edge film, and these wheels.

I've been thinking about powder coating them bronze, or maybe black with a polished lip.

do it...... bronze them puppies up!

Originally Posted by krunk13

I wish....Personally I just don't like that each spoke is concave.
what????????? concave is the ish.. i would love those.. but you have ur taste u know.. no problem with that...

Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 PM
lol no I love the Volks. I just dont like the "upgraded" wheels that honda offers for the Fit.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
I didnt get them because I think they are ugly as F*CK.

At $1200 there's a lot of way cooler wheels with better sizes you could get, I think that's why you don't see them very often. It's awesome you got them thrown in with the car though.

There's a thread on here about removing that pinstripe if you want to search for it. It'd be best to do it as soon as possible before the paint starts fading.

Congrats on the car and welcome to FF.net

Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
There's no lip to polish. Remove all of the silly vinyl on the car and enjoy those rare wheels.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
There's a thread on here about removing that pinstripe if you want to search for it. It'd be best to do it as soon as possible before the paint starts fading.
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
Remove all of the silly vinyl on the car
Totally agreed. My plan for the weekend was to remove it and get it washed and waxed. If I'm feeling extra frisky I may bake the headlights, open em up, and spray them black too.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:15 PM
"Discovered" plasti-dip last weekend. Seemed like a super cheap way to figure out what looks good before committing to a permanent change. Bought a few cans and took off a little earlier from work on Friday to get it done.

Took the wheels off to get them clean and noticed an Enkei stamp on the back.

Did four or five coats of the matte black, finished up around midnight. Woke up this morning to rain, so hopefully that doesn't impact the curing.

I'll probably roll on these for awhile, then strip it off, redo the black and spray a bronze on top to see what that looks like.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Now they look cheap

Old 09-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Well, that was the main reason to use plasti-dip before powder coating... incase I made an error in color judgement. To be honest, I think I may have done it wrong. The wheels are much more textured than the body parts I tried this on. The black plasti-dip is also lighter than I had hoped, so maybe a blacker black would look better? Or perhaps a coat of gloss to make it more of a satin finish.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Old 09-16-2012, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
The wheels are not that bad. Easier to clean than the stock sport wheels.

Maybe put them back to original or gloss black powered coated.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, the only reason why i usually dont like factory wheels is they only look good from the side. like a 2 dimensional look. if you look at the wheels diagnally from the front or back, they have weak offsets, narrow, and no commitment in either straight or concave spokes. it's a general shape for general public for general warranty coverage.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
i couldn't put a finger on what's wrong with the stock 12 rims, but you sir, are completely right.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
i couldn't put a finger on what's wrong with the stock 12 rims, but you sir, are completely right.
i think you can add spacers and run wider 205/50/16 tires to make them look better. the factory wheel's aren't terrible, it's just too general.

some states require chains to go up mountains and the factory wheels are intentionally made with weak offsets to accomodate proper clearance.

also lighter weight and cost.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think you can add spacers and run wider 205/50/16 tires to make them look better. the factory wheel's aren't terrible, it's just too general.

some states require chains to go up mountains and the factory wheels are intentionally made with weak offsets to accomodate proper clearance.

also lighter weight and cost.
I'm planning to lower it on Swifts sometime before year's end, and hopefully add spacers at that time. I saw some posts here that the 5mm on stock are fine, and maybe even 10mm if you buy high quality stuff.

When the current set of rubber is done, I was looking at S-Drives in the 205/50 size.

I agree that the factory wheels aren't as fun as a lot of aftermarket choices, but I'd rather spend the $600-$1,000 on something more entertaining like audio or intake/exhaust first. I've also never ran with anything other than knock offs and cheapos like Rota and Konig, and I'd be scared to death about curbing a set of Volks or SSR.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andvari101
I'm planning to lower it on Swifts sometime before year's end, and hopefully add spacers at that time. I saw some posts here that the 5mm on stock are fine, and maybe even 10mm if you buy high quality stuff.

When the current set of rubber is done, I was looking at S-Drives in the 205/50 size.

I agree that the factory wheels aren't as fun as a lot of aftermarket choices, but I'd rather spend the $600-$1,000 on something more entertaining like audio or intake/exhaust first. I've also never ran with anything other than knock offs and cheapos like Rota and Konig, and I'd be scared to death about curbing a set of Volks or SSR.
swifts are great! i run them on my car.

5mm can be okay if you have at least 10mm of thread, but 10mm spacers are dangerous without longer studs.

Quick Reply: '11 GE8 Sport SSM with factory upgrade alloys