2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

buying tires for stock GE8 sport - which one to choose

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 PM
buying tires for stock GE8 sport - which one to choose

hey guys,

i am almost bald on my tires, and really need to pull the trigger for some new ones.

checking on tiretrack i really liked the Yokahamas AVID and there are several places that have them in town and i would have them installed and balanced for just over 500.00. the warranty is 75,000 miles on these.
link for yokohama

on the other hand, and for just over 400.00 i can get the bridgestone potenzas installed and ballanced. the warranty on these is only for 50,000 miles.
link to bridgestone

so my questions is what some of you think i should go for. the difference is 100 bucks for 25,000 miles...

thank you very much and i am looking forward to your input.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
I mentioned this before in an old post: I definitely would not base tire purchase on warranty. Where I live, we do not have that luxury as all tires are wear items.

Base it instead on the tire maker's intended purpose and performance against attributes (dry handling, wet handling, dry braking, wet braking, noise, cornering response, ride comfort) so you have an idea of what to expect from each brand and model, and against user reviews so you know if the tire is as good as it's cracked up to be or not. All tires are a compromise of each of these attributes - they can't be good at all things.

A cursory check of Tire Rack's user reviews show the Bridgestones are hard-riding and noisy at speed (that's kind of expected from the void ratio of the tread in the photos), and that the Yokohamas are, while quieter, not great handlers in adverse conditions.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
You are going to get opinions all of over the place on tires. It's the I bought a Ford syndrome so Fords have to be the best and all others are junk. One guy here was promoting a poor wear rating Korean tire because it was cheap. I forget the brand but according to him everything else was unsafe.

You are going about it correctly. Look at the specs and the reviews and make your own decision. If you have special need like winter traction then factor that into your decision.

You are driving a light weight economy car so many of the options like high performance and cornering are probably a not a major concern.
My top concerns were economy, ride, and noise in that order.

BTW, I bought the Yokohama AVID from Tire Rack.