2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Excessive Toe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:11 AM
Excessive Toe?

I have a 2011 Fit Sport, all stock. Yesterday I bumped a curb in a parking lot with my rear passenger wheel, prob not even going 5mph. Took a look at the wheel, there was a rub mark on the tire itself, and a minor scratch on the very edge of the rim that I think is due to this.

The car drove straight afterwards, both on the freeway and at low speeds. I took it in anyway for peace of mind. Image below. But basically he said it's way out of spec and I will need an axle beam replacement. I've tried reading up on the spec for 09-14 Fits, and saw some mention of Fits having toe out pretty often anyway, and it's nothing to worry about.

The front driver toe is also out of spec, but he didn't adjust it (and subsequently didn't charge me for checking my alignment).

I'm wondering do I really need to worry about the rear toe being out of spec? Is it really out of spec? I've found some postings that show I'm actually still in spec, but other posts show I'm quite out of spec. I'm a pretty casual driver and I just use this car as a commuter. No racing, and not even fast driving aside from regular freeway speeds. He's quoting me $1000 to fix the axle rod beam

Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
I kinda doubt anything was badly tweaked BUT did you take a look under the car and look to check if the rear axle shifted or anything?

Even if the rear beam is replaced, there's no guarantee that rear toe will be in spec. Loosening the mounting bolts and shifting the beam MIGHT help adjust toe but that's some to do at your own risk. It would have been ideal if Honda put adjustment lots in the chassis to make room for SOME adjustment or at least allow the rear beam to get shimmed for alignment adjustment... but it didn't happen.

I'd have your alignment tech match up camber and toe on the front axle and keep an eye on the rear tires' wear. Might need to rotate tires a little more frequently due to being out of spec of course.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
If your tire wear isn't out of wack its fine..

The Honda isn't the only car with a beam axle, and it used to be common to use a frame rack to just bend the beam until the car was in alignment. These days its all about assembly swapping to get max profit.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
everything hootie said.

rear doesn't seem terrible, but get that front sorted out.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
If the rear tires are not wearing on one side, forget doing the the rear.
Earlier fits did have the possibility of adding shims but on 2nd gen Honda welded them in place. My daughter had a rear beam bent. She removed it and took it to a place that does fab work for GM in Michigan and they bent it back to specs. It took her about a hour to remove and replace it and 15 minutes for the fab shop to straighten it. The big time consumer was driving it to Michigan and back.

If the rear numbers really bother you, you can try loosening the axle beam mounting and force the left wheel to the rear and the right wheel forward. Then re-tighten it again. I would leave it alone.

On the front, Toe is the relationship of one wheel to the other. So the real number you are worried about the the .06 one in the middle of the print out. It is withing spec so leave it alone. Yes, one of the fronts is negative a little and the other is positive a little, but you are never going to get them perfect. With the important .06 number in spec, I would also leave it alone.