3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Turbocharge with 2016 Civic Turbo Parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Thanks Kevin, I don't know why I couldn't upload them

The info is.... Top bolts fit but lower ones don't; inlets differ in size so I think it would be a matter of cutting the turbo flange and welding a custom made one.

Also the ecu cannot handle the electronic wastegate so I'm going to a mechanical.

Installing it as the last picture suggest would have the intake side pointing to the right of the engine.

Any suggestion is welcome

Old 10-23-2017, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
The inlet is also in a different orientation compared with the bolts.

At the point that you're talking about cutting the flange off of the OEM turbo, creating a new flange, and welding it onto the OEM turbo, wouldn't it be just as easy to make an adapter that goes from the stock housing to a standard T25/T3 flange?

That way you could pick any turbo you want and have future options.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
There might be some benefit using an OEM turbo just from having the similar exhaust shape- just from looking at photos, a lot of generic turbos seem like they have a small square or rectangular opening, so there would be a really abrupt transition if you just hang it off the L15 block with its larger oval shape. OEM turbo has a shape to its casting that smooths out the flow.

Wonder if it would be better to have an RV6 casting without the pipe attached to it, and instead have a turbo flange welded to the bottom?

Old 10-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Making an adapter would ad another couple inches, and the space between the back of the engine and the firewall is really short.

But Gafit comment got me thinking about the double work it would be needed for making another flange and cutting and welding so I went double checking stock flange vs turbo flange and it seems a better way to drill the hole pattern from the stock unit into the turbo one.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-02-2017, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
My burning question is what kind of electronics are available? To the best of my knowledge, there is not an aftermarket ECM that can control direct injection.

That leaves that motor of little use unless they release a stand alone ECU with it that can plug and play with other cars. Otherwise, it's only going to be usable to swap into a new, already direct injected Honda.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:06 PM
The GK5 is direct injection and the Ktuner software is available, however I'm not sure the software will adapt for turbo on the Gk5 but I know Ktuner can get it to work.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by axion_industries
The GK5 is direct injection and the Ktuner software is available, however I'm not sure the software will adapt for turbo on the Gk5 but I know Ktuner can get it to work.
If it did work, that would fall in line with exactly what I said. The motor will only be of interest for swaps into a late model Honda's that already have direct injection.

What is not possible, AFAIK, would be to swap that motor into any older Honda without a complete ECM, harness, etc from a donor car.

Makes for a limited market.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Honestly I would put the money into buying a L15 turbo 10th gen civic motor and trans much more potential and less worry of throwing a rod

Old 11-03-2017, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if it will come with a transmission, like shown in the picture in the link.
The motor will only be of interest for swaps into a late model Honda's that already have direct injection.
Not necessarily. The DI pump is mounted on the engine and is more or less self contained (minus the electronic controls of course), it just needs a fuel supply connected to it-- and all of the DI cars still have the same basic electric fuel pump/returnless fuel supply system that has been in use for nearly 2 decades.

If one can afford the engine, they can probably also afford a new harness and ECM to run the engine.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
If one can afford the engine, they can probably also afford a new harness and ECM to run the engine.
It's, sadly, not that simple. Do a search of late model DI swaps and you'll find that you need the entire canbus wiring harness from a donor car along with all sensors.

I believe Ford and GM offer solutions that include aftermarket style engine management systems to go along with their new crate motors. If that motor doesn't offer something similar, it's a paperweight for anyone with an older vehicle.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:34 PM
We will be doing the 10th gen swap at some point with Hasport, they are currenty putting on into a CR-Z

Old 11-03-2017, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by axion_industries
We will be doing the 10th gen swap at some point with Hasport, they are currenty putting on into a CR-Z
Believe they are also working on one for a GD. That is with a complete donor car though so they can swap all of the electronics.

My point is that buying that crate motor would be the simple part of the build. You would also basically need an entire working vehicle that has a DI ECM and all of the corresponding body modules, sensors, etc.

I'm just looking at it from my perspective. The swap would require an entire salvage new Honda to go along with that crate motor. Ouch!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
I took some pictures of inside the front bumper yesterday as I was changing some items back to stock. There is soooo much room there for an intercooler. You can even stack 2-3 intercoolers back to back there's so much room. And to both sides there looks to be a piece that can be removed for the intercooler piping to route around.

As for the turbo, you guys maybe overthinking this. 5psi! Get a Ktuner to control ignition timing and air/fuel ratio and be done with it. I mean, the compression ratio is high at 11.5:1 but you can safely run this compression ratio with 87 octane. I honestly can't see why you couldn't run 5psi of boost with 92-93 octane safely, given an adjustment or two with fueling and ignition. Even those may not be necessary.

These cars are already quick with minor modifications. And extra 5psi of intercooled boost would make it that much more fun. Mount a Civic turbo on the back side and it's just intake/exhaust piping after that. I'd have already done this but was busy customizing my V6 RAV4 with a supercharger and it took all my time and $$. Since I just purhcased a 2018 CVT Civic, it's a wrap for 'Misfit'.

Keep it simple!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:57 PM
I was thinking if you swapped over the 10th gen direct injection compressor and some other things it would work pretty smooth, just about Ktuner doing updates to run boost with the Ktuner and Gk5

Old 06-10-2018, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
2019 Honda Fit Turbo

Hey guys,

I posted in the General Forum about the 2019 Honda Fit turbo that will be coming out next year (Early Spring seems to be the timeline).

2019 Honda Fit

I plan on trading in my 2018 Turbo Civic and coming back to my old family when this happens. **Hugs**