3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Fit Si and Fit R

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Fit Si and Fit R

I know this is probably the wrong place for this...but this is where I normally post.... I think Honda really has dropped the ball on the Fit's

I drive the 15 fit ex, I have it Ktuned, HPS cold air intake, maxbore throttle body and exhaust. The Ktuned fit put down 122.7 hp at wheels which is close to the 99 civic si, which was a great stock car. I think Honda could add just a few touches and make a Fit Si and charge 20k for it.

On the same not I think that with the civic type R coming out, that they again are missing a huge market with not making a Fit type R, the Ktuned 1.5 turbo motor is putting out 204 hp to the wheels, the fit is about 600 lbs lighter than the civic type r, I think honda would do a type R fit for around 25,000 which is 10,000 less than the civic type r and do a lot with it.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
That sounds like a great idea from the car enthusiast point of view, but why would a corporate accountant or marketing guy want to release a product that undercuts their more profitable model? This is the same reasoning that led to Porsche not offering an LSD or the hot engine in the Cayman for so long.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:18 PM
I just wish we could have gotten the RS model and the Mugen kits etc. over here in the States. But it just seems like the US-model Fit was a total afterthought from Honda... like not even the option for disc brakes or anything.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
I agree completely, the factory turbo motor would have been perfect. I'm looking hard at a rear disc conversion, but the one I saw was $1k, not sure if it's worth it. Actually, performance wise I'm sure it's not worth it, but just on principle the idea of having drums on a car in the 21st century is ridiculous.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
You guys have a great platform to work with 'right now'. Our dohc engine is awesome. Why wait on Honda corporate?

I feel like my Fit is pretty much a 'Si' from tinkering with it. Could invest a little more in cornering and/or braking but as-is, it 'fits' the bill perfectly. No complaints here.

Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Abarth, Cooper S, Civic Si (N/A or Turbo), your little rides with some tinkering can hang neck and neck with them. Just saying!

I agree, a Fit Si would be cool. Perhaps one with the turbo that the Civic Si has but keep the lighter weight. Aaahhhhh! Harnessing it with FWD may be a pain though.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 07-02-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:56 AM
In the UK, the Fit (Jazz as it is sold here), has 14" vented discs on the front and 13" solid discs on the rear.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member
I spent some time when I first found this forum searching for dyno charts and trying to learn where people are finding extra power, and I ended up with something like fifteen tabs worth of old threads open and not much actual data. Now, my next paycheck is going to get me one of the RV6 downpipes, and I'm hoping to actually get the car on a dyno before/after to see hard numbers, but I haven't seen many people other than you really trying to work the stock engine. I think I saw a thread where you had custom cams made?

Don't misunderstand, I'm happy with my car, and down the road I plan to get a set of konis on swift or megan springs, harder bushings, and some lighter wheels with sport tires. Maybe some steel braided brake lines, too. Would you be willing to sum up where there's power to be had? Before kids I used to drive a supercharged NSX to work, but there were definitely compromises made to get the extra power. Not sure I want to go that far with a family car, even if I still had the disposable income for a serious engine build.

Edit-JockoT, any idea how much Honda UK would charge for the parts to do a rear disc conversion?

Old 07-02-2017, 06:54 AM
There are no kits for conversion available here as there is no market for them with discs being stock. Replacement discs and pads cost about £100 with a pair of calipers for a similar amount.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry, that was a half formed thought too early in the morning. What I was wondering was, what kind of parts would be needed aside from calipers and discs to swap from US market parts, brackets and such, or if it's something that would need a different wheel hub, or if the whole rear suspension beam is different?

If it requires swapping the whole beam over to get the mounting points for calipers, then it's probably not worth the cost of the parts.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
I guess I can answer part of my own questions here, from the gotuning kit-

Go Tuning Unlimited

They don't give part numbers, but the list of items included to use the JDM (and I assume it's the same parts for the UK) rear discs includes brackets rather than the whole rear axle. Are there any particular online part suppliers in the UK known for good pricing?

Old 07-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Give this mob a shout. https://www.lingshondaparts.com/
I have never used them myself but ClubJazz members, here in the UK, speak highly of them.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Honda should just drop in the L15B7 from the Civic 1.5T (not the Si, the larger CR-V turbo the Si has a hint more lag than the typical Civic's... 170 BHP is fine for our weight), revise the transmission and gearing to accommodate for the added power/torque as well as pop in an LSD, and produce an HFP/HPD suspension that would compliment the car...

215/40R17s would be nice to have on some 17x7.5s. Maybe a 30 to 35lb wheel/tire combo... something decently light for spirited drives but not absurd to the point of breaking tires loose at every wet red light start (I do that enough with 150+ WHP/120+ WTQ... it gets old. -.-).

2016 CR-Z/2017 Civic hatch front calipers with 282mm discs would be sweet... 260mm Rear discs would be nice but not necessary though define compound changes to make due. Definitely doable with parts that are currently being used in the Honda catalog... they just need to put the effort into doing it.

Forgive the rambling but this is just reminding me of how BMW did a similar tactic with the 1M using a good bit of off the self parts from the E9X M3... And that turned out to be a FUN car.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:12 PM
I need to brake down and get to the dyno.... I have the HPS cold air, ktuner, axle back exhaust and maxboore throttle body. I would like to get numbers before and after the rv6. I am hoping to get around 130 at wheels, Ktuner has like 122.7 with factory in ktuner. Hps has the cold air added 5 horse power. If we can get 130 at wheels we should be same as 99 civic si when you add an weight to horsepower

Old 07-03-2017, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
99 Si

Originally Posted by action213
If we can get 130 at wheels we should be same as 99 civic si when you add an weight to horsepower
No ifs! You can. I have been on forums to look at what people have ran with 99 Sis. My CVT is right there with them. In the 1/4 mile. I did all the math before (At work now). Like you said, it's just hp/weight.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 07-03-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think many ppl buy the new GK fit to mod so it can hang with cars above its weight class. With the lack of aftermarket support from ECU Tuners, and the additional complexity of DI engines, I would just drive the car for what it is. The tuning scene of this car is definitely not like the B16/B18 days.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Westie
I don't think many ppl buy the new GK fit to mod so it can hang with cars above its weight class. With the lack of aftermarket support from ECU Tuners, and the additional complexity of DI engines, I would just drive the car for what it is. The tuning scene of this car is definitely not like the B16/B18 days.
Bingo

I get trying to tune or improve something that was handed down from a parent as a first car. I don't get buying the wrong car new and trying to make it into something else? Probably because I'm not a fanboy and don't have any brand preference. Everyone makes a decent car nowadays. On the low end, the Fiesta ST is way better than the Fit as a subcompact performance car. Add some money and a whole host of hot cars with a strong aftermarket become available. Focus ST, VW GTI, Subaru WRX, Mazda 3, an so on. Even the Civic is probably a better starting point.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Some people just enjoy tinkering, and take some pleasure in making a car more in line with their preferences. If you were talking about racing, where it makes a very real difference how fast you are in terms of beating your opponent, then sure, starting with a car that places you at a big disadvantage is a terrible idea. But what if you just like your car, and might like it a bit more if the steering were a bit sharper, or the brake pedal was a bit less spongy?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
I bought Foxy to tinker with. The GK is a great platform to learn modern cars on. It's simple, economic, and fun...particularly for the price. Have I spent too much money on a Fit over time? Yes. Do I care? Not so much. It's all been worth it. It's my car exactly how I want it.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Here's my rule for car/bike modifications. Whatever the purchase price was, if you spend more than 10% of that on upgrades, you probably should have bought a different car. I kind of cheat on my own rule by declaring a replacement of a stock part that is worn out is not an upgrade, like shocks or brake pads or similar.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
Some people just enjoy tinkering, and take some pleasure in making a car more in line with their preferences. If you were talking about racing, where it makes a very real difference how fast you are in terms of beating your opponent, then sure, starting with a car that places you at a big disadvantage is a terrible idea. But what if you just like your car, and might like it a bit more if the steering were a bit sharper, or the brake pedal was a bit less spongy?
HPD has had great success rallying their CVT Fit. I bracket raced mine twice and won first place.......at a Honda Day event to boot....against a full drag slicked, gutted race Honda Civic. And posted here about it. I'm not even into Hondas. I am a diehard Subaru nut but I like my Honda Fit a lot. It 'fits' the bill nicely.

Originally Posted by Rob H
Bingo
On the low end, the Fiesta ST is way better than the Fit as a subcompact performance car. Add some money and a whole host of hot cars with a strong aftermarket become available. Focus ST, VW GTI, Subaru WRX, Mazda 3, an so on. Even the Civic is probably a better starting point.
???? Really? The Fit is the best car in its class. I actually purchased it over the Fiesta ST. And my Fit is just as fast as it and WAY more reliable. With just an intake and exhaust. BTW: I traded in my Mazda3 for my Fit.

I am not even defending the Fit. Could care less actually. It's unfortunate that it is bad and sucks for some people. I am still not used to having zero torque. I do enjoy driving the CVT though as it's different. It's slow from the factory but doesn't take much to get it going. I just enjoy making slow cars quicker.

Originally Posted by Westie
You are so right with this. This forum only has three pages since the 2015 Fit came out. People (at least here) just aren't interested. Places like China seem to love this Fit though. So be it!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 07-09-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Fit Si and Fit R