3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Another Oil / Blow-by Catch Can Install - Long Edition :)

Old 11-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
psa - how to use the "ignore list":
  1. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/prof...?do=ignorelist
  2. enter name of a member
  3. click "okay"

/they lived happily ever after
(EDITED OUT).............. Guess what people.. it’s OK to have a different opinion. This is the Internet, that’s how this works. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don’t think 72 mL of oil over 7000 miles is anything to write home about. If it helps, great if it doesn’t, great. I was simply stating that there are no studies to confirm or deny any of it.
You’re so concerned about oil in your intake - what about the aftermarket parts and exhaust, ect that you’re putting on the car, changing bearings and engine mounts -Putting unintended strain on different parts,and other things that weren’t intended to be changed. All in all none of it really matters .. does it.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 11-07-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language
Old 11-07-2018, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MikeyGrz
............., Who can’t handle anyone’s opinion unless they are stroking you.
Quoted for posterity.

Ah, the response of those who can't admit they are wrong.

Name calling (including less-than-creative innuendo), and the equivalent of "Well, that's just...like...your opinion, man".

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 11-07-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:37 PM
I am not wrong in saying that there really is no definitive proof that installing one of these catch cans will reduce carbon deposits in your intake. Posting long-winded answers meant to keep you from replying isn’t a good answer. Posting conspiracy theories about engine design isn’t proof either. I have no problem admitting if I am wrong, however your claims are 100% baseless. All I asked for was the proof, besides you just modifying for the sake of modifying.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 11-07-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
OK. At this point, it's obvious you're just trolling.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member

Guess what people.. it’s OK to have a different opinion. ....(CyclingFit removed extra baggage)
MikeyGrz, I think what has happened is that some of us have installed catch-cans because of our non scientific research. Although, I would venture to say that many of us have developed our opinions from the process of elimination while noting issues that have really only become common during the transition to direct fuel injection. It took me nearly four years before I made the commitment to perform one of the cheapest car mods I have ever completed. I took in many of the things you have brought up and considered them. I am sure others have put in the same amount of consideration before deciding to filter the air flow on an important environmental component located on the most expensive part of the car.

I feel the breakdown in all of this happened when, and possibly on accident, your opening contribution came across as a statement and not an opinion that was open for discussion. I think people really enjoy discussing (debating) opinions. What has happened now is statements vs statements and nobody is ready to go back to discussing.

Me personally - I understand the emission system and I understand the components I installed. I know they do not pose a risk because of the materials they are made from and the way that they are installed. I do know that a hydrocarbon based substance has been known to accumulate on the intake valves of direct injected vehicles. I personally believe that the build up of this substance can cause future engine power and fuel economy issues. I doubt that anything catastrophic would ever come from it in less than 200,000 miles. We all have ambient air, EGR and PCV running through our engines. Me personally, I have a quality dry air filter in place on the air side. I have a device that can assist in removing oil in the PCV side, and I choose to only run quality gasoline, which may help with EGR. In my opinion I am doing my best with all three inputs into my engine and that is my only goal.

Just another 2 cents, take it if you want and no problem if you don't.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
MikeyGrz, I think what has happened is that some of us have installed catch-cans because of our non scientific research. Although, I would venture to say that many of us have developed our opinions from the process of elimination while noting issues that have really only become common during the transition to direct fuel injection. It took me nearly four years before I made the commitment to perform one of the cheapest car mods I have ever completed. I took in many of the things you have brought up and considered them. I am sure others have put in the same amount of consideration before deciding to filter the air flow on an important environmental component located on the most expensive part of the car.

I feel the breakdown in all of this happened when, and possibly on accident, your opening contribution came across as a statement and not an opinion that was open for discussion. I think people really enjoy discussing (debating) opinions. What has happened now is statements vs statements and nobody is ready to go back to discussing.

Me personally - I understand the emission system and I understand the components I installed. I know they do not pose a risk because of the materials they are made from and the way that they are installed. I do know that a hydrocarbon based substance has been known to accumulate on the intake valves of direct injected vehicles. I personally believe that the build up of this substance can cause future engine power and fuel economy issues. I doubt that anything catastrophic would ever come from it in less than 200,000 miles. We all have ambient air, EGR and PCV running through our engines. Me personally, I have a quality dry air filter in place on the air side. I have a device that can assist in removing oil in the PCV side, and I choose to only run quality gasoline, which may help with EGR. In my opinion I am doing my best with all three inputs into my engine and that is my only goal.

Just another 2 cents, take it if you want and no problem if you don't.
since my car is out of warranty I am tempted to try this, on my 2015. I don’t really want to, LOL because I feel like it’s not really doing anything, but now I just have to see for myself. I understand how the systems work, being a master technician and all LOL. I am not a big fan of unjustified statements and modifications, however I am going to give it a try.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
since my car is out of warranty I am tempted to try this, on my 2015. I don’t really want to, LOL because I feel like it’s not really doing anything, but now I just have to see for myself. I understand how the systems work, being a master technician and all LOL. I am not a big fan of unjustified statements and modifications, however I am going to give it a try.
I promise you will remove oil, it's just a matter of whether you feel you like it's enough oil to have caused a long term problem.

About 40 minutes ago I googled "college institute study on oil pcv direct injection engines" It seems there has been quite a bit of research but it's hard to get hold of. I have a request to one of the researchers to see their study, but it will be up to them to release it to me. I found that digging to the end of one of the semi-related articles had a references page that seemed loaded with college grad school type engineering studies. Once plugging that into google I found out I had to request the authors work... Not sure how quickly they will get back or even how quickly it will be before I can read any of it... It's out there, it's just not easy to get.

Thanks for taking the time.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM
We have an engineering department at school (I returned for a BS degree in Computer Science) That department has a rally racing team, I spoke with one of them about this and other mods. , I’ll let you know if and when they reply. I’ll post the reply when it comes to me.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
picked up a new oil catch can. it appears to be a copy cat of the mishimoto oil catch can. BONUS = it looks more pretty than the Rick Approved can, and is much cheaper. will be installing this one the second it arrives at my door step. I look forward to the filter this can has that my other can does not, as this should furthermore reduce anymore fumes/vapors from sneaking out of the can, and into my intake manifold. as always.... I shall report back!

at the time of posting, $21 ish
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for comparison, the much more expensive mishimoto

That's because it is a Mishimoto can. there is a review on amazon, and I can't find it now for the life of me, that someone else bought one of the unbranded ones and it had the Mishumoto tag on it! maybe its a "fake" but who knows. lol

Old 11-07-2018, 10:25 PM
"Mishimoto Clone", steel braided hose, steel fittings and drain

Installation almost complete. still waiting for my hose separators to replace the zipties and possibly make a hose support bracket off the radiator, to keep the hoses from drooping onto the radiator hose.

so i have had my oil catch can installed for a little over 300 miles now. cracked it open to check its contents and found about 4ml of fluid in it. mostly fuel smelling, with a hint of oil smell. my actual oil is dirty, but the catch can contents are a medium brown, id say 50% oil and 50% fuel/water. also had tiny metal specks in it, more like dust if anything... which may have come from the motor, the can's aluminum, or maybe i had some steel dust inside my steel braided hoses (thought i rinsed them out well) left from me cutting them with my dremel.

i was going to wait until january to change the oil since im at 40% on the mm...im debating if to ride it a bit more or just change it to see if the metal specs flush out. i did drive a bit with my oil about a quarter of a quart low, so maybe its engine metal from starvation. Ill measure the contents when i do the oil change, as well as post pics.

If anyone else is seeing tiny metal specks, post a reply/pic so I know if Im all alone. lol. theyre almost impossible to see without direct sunlight or a high powered light. i searched several different forums, and the issue/concern is everywhere. the general consensus is to note the size. if you see shavings, then you have a problem..if its silver dust...it *probably* ok.

and evilcharger, im sure what you are going to get is what i got, the mishimoto can without the logos. mishimoto has a new can design out, so we are getting the surplus/ backdoor special from the chinese manufacturer.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Wondering why would you need a catch can for a standard EFI NA engine? The intake valves are sprayed with fuel, unlike a DI engine. Just wondering if this is a fix to a problem that doesn’t actually occur? Trying to understand, not criticizing the decision.

Last edited by Alfa38; 11-08-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alfa38
Wondering why would you need a catch can for a standard EFI NA engine? The intake valves are sprayed with fuel, unlike a DI engine. Just wondering if this is a fix to a problem that doesn’t actually occur? Trying to understand, not criticizing the decision.
I do understand what you are saying. The stretch could probably be made that port-injection still does not clean perfectly. Also less stuff gathering in the intake manifold is always nice. Good question.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by Alfa38
I am in the middle assembling several (stolen) photos from across the internet regarding the intake/catch can phenomenon, specifically on the GE8 Fit. It started for my own understanding, but I plan to make a thread and share my findings.
In the photo below, if you take note of the intake tract, immediately to the left of it is a small hole which allows the PCV gunk to ooz into the intake through a channel (there are actually 4 holes total, 1 for each tract). take note of the buildup...which is not all from the PCV, but also the EGR's exhaust.

In the second pic, notice how clean the upper portion of the intake tracts are in comparison to the bottom. Both pics are the same piece.

Yes, there is fuel "sprayed" on the backside of the intake valve....along with Intake Air, PCV gunk, and EGR exhaust.

Adding a catch can to my car is experimental. I was curious to see what I could gather, with hopes of prolonging my motors life while retaining maximum horsepower and fuel efficiency. If its more trouble than its worth or causes a problem somehow, Ill report and remove it. But As CyclingFit stated, less stuff gathering in the intake should be a good thing.

Stay tuned for a more detailed GE8 motor innards picture thread.

GE8 Intake

Last edited by eulogy; 11-10-2018 at 01:44 AM. Reason: flipped pic rightside up and added second pic for ref
Old 11-11-2018, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
I’m shocked...

2,300 miles and I’m amazed. Check out the vids to learn more. It’s late now and I’m covered at work tomorrow, so I may get to add some typing tomorrow evening...

Edit: I believe that I am a worse case scenario and that has helped create this massive catch. I'm also biased and believe my setup is pretty well thought out.
>> I live about two miles from work and often drive home at lunch. This means I have 4 trips of less than 10 minutes each day.
>> If I run errands, the grocery and the hardware type stores are all within 5-10 minutes of my house.
>> Over the last 2 months I have been moving stuff out of our old home and into storage 2 blocks away.
>> I then moved stuff from storage to our new home, only about 2 blocks away.

The amount of trips in the 2 -10 minute range is really sad and very much unlike this cars normal lifestyle. But I believe this has boosted my numbers into a really ugly zone.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-12-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added details
Old 11-11-2018, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Another video explaining...

Old 11-11-2018, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Video 3 of 3 showing a little more of my system

Old 11-12-2018, 07:07 AM
Great video, I’d like to try the set up like you have it, is there any way You could post where you got the fittings and can from? I apologize if you covered this already.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Great video, I’d like to try the set up like you have it, is there any way You could post where you got the fittings and can from? I apologize if you covered this already.
Hey MikeyGrz - I want to say "buy the can at your own risk..." LOL. There is a link to Amazon in my very first post. I have noticed a price range of $20 to $50 for this China made can that everyone seems to be selling. Some show up with the hole in the top, some do not. Mine had a hole and I ordered it without. Luckily it was there since that is the direction I went.

The thread adapters https://www.threadtoolsupply.com/alu...m16-38npt.html

I have mentioned my desire to find M16x1.5mm to 3/8 hose barb - 90 degree. I spent hours finding these a few months ago and now I cannot find them. Only a couple manufacturers make them. I think they would give an even lower profile look and I know one of the companies was for sure selling the fittings only in black, which would look great if you are like me and don't want the system to stand out. I remember they are over $20 each!!! And even if I did get them, I am not sure I could clock them at the exact angles they need to be at. Most likely with a plastic drain plug washer they could be clocked... (set at the correct angle)

edit: There is so much running through my head... LOL. I know they make reducer bushings that would give a lower profile look, but they require a smaller pipe thread size. I am running the 3/8npt because the inside diameter can give me the piece of mind that I am not creating any restrictions, espeically after pushing air through multiple 90 degree bends.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-12-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not if this will have value here .... but.... I'll share anyways. here's a 7500 mile uoa at 37500 miles on the odo

next sample will use the same oil brand/weight but will be rated for 15k, and the same oil filter brand but also rated for 15k ... depending on the maint minder .... next uoa will either be 10k or 15k

if anything blows up in the process ... you guys will be the 1st to know. please keep my long oil change interval'd engine .... in your thoughts on prayers

Old 11-16-2018, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
PSA:

those of you who running the mishimoto clone, the bottom can leak! I took my apart, cleaned/degreased and used loctite blue on the threads and will let it dry over night.

(mostly wiped off, but you can still see some traces of the oil leaking past the threads)

side note, new catch can appears to be amazing. I feel the baffle on this one will catch more than my previous catch can + steel wood media. not even 1 full week of driving, and I've already collected a good 5 ml (commute to work is a 35 mile daily affair, and the weekend had no big road trips)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Oil / Blow-by Catch Can Install - Long Edition :)