Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-exterior-modifications-jdm-styling-sub-forum/)
-   -   Change stock horn (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-exterior-modifications-jdm-styling-sub-forum/100208-change-stock-horn.html)

evilchargerfan 07-24-2019 12:17 PM

I have hella's on my subaru wrx. I guess the 118 figure is accurate. I will say, the hella's have a diff tone to them, very pronounced/sharp and very obnoxious. when you honk, people typically get startled (and it is glorious)

2Rismo2 07-24-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan (Post 1432914)
there are splash guards, to help

for the front horn, near radiator, i can see it being possible for the water to enter horn via the front bumper/grille area. if I could re do my install, I would trim the plastic under/surrounding the trumpet horn, and orient the opening to face DOWN so water shouldnt go up and collect inside

Interestingly enough both AJ and I had our sport horns go out that are near the wheel well and not the one behind the grill. Both horns were oriented downward per the instructions but only the panic horn one failed. I eventually just put the stock horn back in that location and kept the spot horn by the grill.

seattleguy 07-25-2019 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by ercdvs (Post 1432921)
As soon as its not as hot as the surface of the sun outside I will get back in there and check the wiring, etc. I did read a comment somewhere that the horns are much louder (as intended) in the front of the car vs me sitting in the drivers seat. Maybe I just need to blow them all out and check the slashguards

The accord sport horns are supposedly rated for 118 decibels, which is the same as the 115-118 i see for various hella grill style horns. I Just happen to start noticing more of a delay as the compressor makes enough air that i dont remember there before

I tried PIAA horns, rated at 115db, and didn't notice a big difference in volume over my stock 109db horn... I was expecting something really a lot louder. Perhaps the Accord horn would be worth trying?
The plug and play factor sure is nice, and I would think any horn delay would be undesirable as in the moment you'd want the horn to be highly responsive.

evilchargerfan 07-25-2019 09:22 AM

listening to youtubes of the accord horn vs the stock "meep meep" horn.... most def worth trying.

the hella trumpets are very similar to the accord horns, and at the time was cheaper. either one, is a good buy (imo)

R290 01-02-2020 05:45 PM

I was at the junk yard and I picked up some 05 Honda Pilot horns at $6.99 each.
They sound great. From MeeMeep to sounding like a full sized car.

These were plug and play, no wiring changes needed. You do have to adjust the bar on the back to have the horn point down.
The Pilot horns are a bit bigger than the older Accord horns too.

NWCH 01-05-2020 08:57 PM

I'm running red Hella Supertone horns on my car and I love them. Loud as hell and now people actually move out of my way. Best upgrade yet.

evilchargerfan 01-05-2020 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by NWCH (Post 1441393)
I'm running red Hella Supertone horns on my car and I love them. Loud as hell and now people actually move out of my way. Best upgrade yet.

did you wire up relays?

NWCH 01-05-2020 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan (Post 1441395)
did you wire up relays?

Yes you only need one relay and some minor added wiring. It came with the Hella kit.

BMWguy22 12-07-2021 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by NWCH (Post 1441399)
Yes you only need one relay and some minor added wiring. It came with the Hella kit.

Do you have the link for this kit?

NWCH 12-09-2021 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by BMWguy22 (Post 1465338)
Do you have the link for this kit?

They are all over ebay and all over the web for sale. Just look them up an buy one.

BMWguy22 12-09-2021 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by NWCH (Post 1465375)
They are all over ebay and all over the web for sale. Just look them up an buy one.

Yes, but per your quote below you indicate that it includes wiring, relays etc.

Originally Posted by NWCH View Post

This is why I asked you about the particular one YOU purchased.
Most kits do not include these items, only the horns

NWCH 12-10-2021 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by BMWguy22 (Post 1465381)
Yes, but per your quote below you indicate that it includes wiring, relays etc.

Originally Posted by NWCH View Post

This is why I asked you about the particular one YOU purchased.
Most kits do not include these items, only the horns

This was purchased over 4 years ago. I don't have a link for you. But all Hella kits come with the relay. The wiring is purchased by itself in a kit which are sold at all auto parts stores and online. I purchased the two together. Google, google, google.

KaleKemp 12-06-2023 08:40 AM

Nice choice with the Hella horns on your WRX! The 118dB rating definitely packs a punch. Those Hella horns do have a distinctive tone, right? They're like the rockstars of car horns, making heads turn with that sharp and attention-grabbing sound. If you're ever on the lookout for different horn options or maybe something that's still attention-grabbing but with a different vibe, you might want to check out bosshorn.com. They often have a variety of horns that might offer a unique sound profile while keeping that glorious attention-getting quality!