3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Installed those TRS Morimoto LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
I installed these before taking my family to Disneyland. I didn't take off the bumper thanks to your pictures I see where the tabs are. What I did was remove the screw securing the flip under the bumper where you excess the bulb if you want to replace it. I reach my right hand inside and pushed the tab and slowly pry with my other hands from the outside. It took me a total of 15mins to change. I had the LED cree h8 in my fogs before this TRS and notice the output wasn't so bright so I bought these thinking it was going to be brighter. Well after driving 8hrs from San Francisco to LA at 3am turing off and on my fog lights. The LED cree and TRS brightness is about the same, The TRS is just a little brighter but not for $70 more =(. I think the reason why the fogs isn't bright is because it sits so far in the bumper. anyways here is the link for the LED cree. Im gonna post mine on craigslist for $50.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-New-40W-4800-Lm-Cree-LED-Headlight-Kit-Bulb-9005-9006-H8-H11-H4-H7-/131224044422?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8d900386&vxp=mtr

Old 09-23-2014, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Bump - how are you liking the fogs after driving around w/ them? I'm going to order after seeing the coupon code listed above. Would you recommend adding washers to the bottom two screws to aim the fogs higher?

There is only two screw holding the foglight in place, one on the top left and one on the bottom right side. These fog is height adjustable with a Philip screw driver from the bottom.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:12 PM
do you just swap those out with the original bulbs? no need for ballast or anything?

Old 09-23-2014, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by payluder
I installed these before taking my family to Disneyland. I didn't take off the bumper thanks to your pictures I see where the tabs are. What I did was remove the screw securing the flip under the bumper where you excess the bulb if you want to replace it. I reach my right hand inside and pushed the tab and slowly pry with my other hands from the outside. It took me a total of 15mins to change. I had the LED cree h8 in my fogs before this TRS and notice the output wasn't so bright so I bought these thinking it was going to be brighter. Well after driving 8hrs from San Francisco to LA at 3am turing off and on my fog lights. The LED cree and TRS brightness is about the same, The TRS is just a little brighter but not for $70 more =(. I think the reason why the fogs isn't bright is because it sits so far in the bumper. anyways here is the link for the LED cree. Im gonna post mine on craigslist for $50.
2014 New 40W 4800 LM CREE LED Headlight Kit Bulb 9005 9006 H8 H11 H4 H7 | eBay
this is very surprising to hear. w/ my stock fogs + PNP HIDs, they point almost straight down and don't do much. they illuminate to the sides slightly, but that's about it. per the TRS website, the LED fog emits 1200 lumens per fog. for 35watt PNP HID kit, it emits 3200-3400 lumens per bulb.

I just ordered a set of TRS fogs, but I may end up giving these to my brother..

Old 09-23-2014, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
this is very surprising to hear. w/ my stock fogs + PNP HIDs, they point almost straight down and don't do much. they illuminate to the sides slightly, but that's about it. per the TRS website, the LED fog emits 1200 lumens per fog. for 35watt PNP HID kit, it emits 3200-3400 lumens per bulb.

I just ordered a set of TRS fogs, but I may end up giving these to my brother..
Well i have the 55w HID and when I turn the foglight on I don't notice much of a difference except for the sides. Don't get me wrong these fogs are well made and looks nice but isn't very effective on our cars because of where the foglight seats.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Well i have the 55w HID and when I turn the foglight on I don't notice much of a difference except for the sides. Don't get me wrong these fogs are well made and looks nice but isn't very effective on our cars because of where the foglight seats.
have you tried aiming them higher so they project farther?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:04 PM
You'll have to aim them, and don't expect to be able to see much difference if you already have PNP hid in your stock halogen headlight housings.

Put on the regular halogen bulbs in the halogen headlight housings, then compare the TRS to the Cree fog light bulbs. Its a night and day difference. I would know because I spent about $150 trying three different "Cree led" bulbs from amazon and eBay and they all suck compared to the TRS. Heck I even have the same exact Cree bulb u listed here. It was so embarrassing to have on, I purposely parked in front of a house, unplugged my halogen housing bulbs and had only the Cree fog light bulbs on, only to see they illuminate the house and the second floor in front of me. Fog lights are not supposed to do that. Go to hidplanet and you'll see a bunch of other people telling you those Cree aftermarket bulbs arent any good without proper projectors designed for LEDs.

I also learned today you can stick a flat plastic trim separator tool in one side of the fog lights, then slowly pry the other side with your fingers and also pry from the shroud hole to pop the shrouds off without going under the flap or removing the bumper.

Last edited by noripwr; 09-23-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by noripwr
You'll have to aim them, and don't expect to be able to see much difference if you already have PNP hid in your stock halogen headlight housings.

Put on the regular halogen bulbs in the halogen headlight housings, then compare the TRS to the Cree fog light bulbs. Its a night and day difference. I would know because I spent about $150 trying three different "Cree led" bulbs from amazon and eBay and they all suck compared to the TRS. Heck I even have the same exact Cree bulb u listed here. It was so embarrassing to have on, I purposely parked in front of a house, unplugged my halogen housing bulbs and had only the Cree fog light bulbs on, only to see they illuminate the house and the second floor in front of me. Fog lights are not supposed to do that. Go to hidplanet and you'll see a bunch of other people telling you those Cree aftermarket bulbs arent any good without proper projectors designed for LEDs.

I also learned today you can stick a flat plastic trim separator tool in one side of the fog lights, then slowly pry the other side with your fingers and also pry from the shroud hole to pop the shrouds off without going under the flap or removing the bumper.

Have you tried to aim the trs higher? I am afraid to aim too high and blind people. I rather not cause a accident.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
from the pics above, the TRS fogs look to have a sharp cut-off so you won't blind people (unless you aim it straight for their face). this is the main reason why i wanted to switch because they look to have a much more even spread. with OEM fogs + PNP HIDs, they are two big hotspots on the ground

Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Have you tried to aim the trs higher? I am afraid to aim too high and blind people. I rather not cause a accident.
I've aimed them higher. At first I left them as stock thinking they looked pretty good against the garage fridge and the cut off. Then I googled how to properly aim fog lights and they're much better. The spread is much better than the Cree bulbs I have. Stupid thing about the Cree bulbs is I can't return them. I can't tell you how embarrassed I was with the Cree fogs when I tried them out at night and all the joggers were giving me the stare down - which is why I went with TRS. The Crees "look" bright but they're not properly aimed and really need to be in projector housings. I've gone through a couple of those Crees and I kept swapping them out because they weren't acceptable. My gf kept shaking her head each week I put on and tried out new bulbs and after these TRS fogs she's been amazed I've kept them in for so long. I have a gut feeling she was annoyed everytime I kept telling her to turn off and on the fog lights so I could check the spread of the Cree bulbs when I was aiming the fogs.

Edit:

I also realized from the ebay link you posted and also a crucial element to the LED bulbs is that the Crees are supposedly pulling "20W" while the TRS bulbs use THREE 3 watt LEDs for a total of 9W. That's 40 W of power for the Crees with two fog light bulbs on versus 18 W of power for the TRS. Here's another on/off pic in the morning.

Name:  l3GJ7Gq.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  120.5 KB

Name:  nLnkxP9.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  113.9 KB

If you have HIDs in your stock headlights aimed too low, it'll drown out the spreads of foglights, but if you aim the foglights too high, it defeats the purpose of foglights. I had the foglights aimed higher than in those pictures, and it looked really cool having good spread and making my halogens look like HIDs because when I drove next to Porsches and Benz on the pasadena freeways at night, my Fit headlights literally looked as good as theirs and with coverage as good as theirs. But I've aimed them lower since then because foglight spread & distance shouldn't be reaching that far down the road to begin with.

Last edited by noripwr; 09-24-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Nice, man. Im excited to get mine.

How do you aim them? Can you share, please

Old 09-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Nice, man. Im excited to get mine.

How do you aim them? Can you share, please

I should've taken a pic of them while I was facing the neighbor's white wood fence. It really showed off the fogs well, but then I'd be blocking the street.

When I googled how to aim them, I ended up having to use the underground parking garage at work because they had the most leveled ground (my driveway isn't level) so I did it from work. Basically I parked about 3-4 feet from the wall, turned on my lights, then tape measured the floor to the center of my fogs. Took the height, and measured from floor to the height on the wall and placed tape there. I then aimed the fogs cutoff to the tape.

After that I reversed to the parking spot behind me which is about 20 feet from the wall. Then I turned on the fogs again and checked the cut off to make sure it didn't bleed into my halogen headlights (kinda like in one of the pics I posted here). I also checked the SUVs parked in front of me to make sure the fog lights weren't reflecting off their license plate since the projection of the fog lights shouldn't go that high. If anything, it should only be reflecting off their mufflers.

The TRS LEDs also cause a bit of glare, not really glare to oncoming drivers, but I noticed there's glare for pedestrians walking outside. I'm not sure if this is meant to highlight pedestrians walking on the sidewalks at night but I didn't want to annoy them, so I covered the top 1/4 portion of the LEDs with some lamin-x smoked covers to reduce the glare to pedestrians. hmm... kinda like the JDM LED foglights for our GKs.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting, didn't know Japan got LED fogs stock. They get all the good stuff in Japan

Thanks for the info, i'll do the same. Does the TRS fogs have a screw you can turn to aim them up/down?

Old 09-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Interesting, didn't know Japan got LED fogs stock. They get all the good stuff in Japan

Thanks for the info, i'll do the same. Does the TRS fogs have a screw you can turn to aim them up/down?

Yea they have a screw to aim them up/down. And yea Japan has a set of oem LED fogs (not standard, optional equipment) that go for about $200 before shipping through rakuten.

They also get leather door arm rests optional, which blows my mind why Honda didn't include those for the Ex-L trim.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Let me try and take some pictures at night. With my hids on my fogs doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe if I aim them much higher. Do you know which way to turn to aim them higher?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Let me try and take some pictures at night. With my hids on my fogs doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe if I aim them much higher. Do you know which way to turn to aim them higher?
I don't know if you can get them brighter. How do you have your HIDs aimed? If they're aimed too low, the fogs aren't going to help since the ground in front of you is already lit up by the HIDs. I don't think 1400 or so lumens can ever compete against the 3800 or so that HIDs produce. Cuz of that, u might wanna check your HIDs first.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Hi noripwr thanks for the reply. I installed both the hid and the trs fogs without any adjustments so it's at stock level now I guess.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Hi noripwr thanks for the reply. I installed both the hid and the trs fogs without any adjustments so it's at stock level now I guess.
Yea you might wanna check your HIDs or leave them the way it is if you like it. When I put in the PNP HIDs into the stock housings before adjusting, they were aimed way too low. If you don't wanna be too technical, u can park next to another car with a wall in front of u, reverse about a car and a half length, then see if the HID beam pattern hits their side mirror. It shouldn't but you should be able to see some of your HID light a littlw below their door handle. Like I said, its not technical, but its a quick way to aim the lights when u have to for whatever reasons.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:51 PM
the cut off looks amazing the it's a bit pricey if you already have fog and replacing them
i'm more looking forward to someone replacing the high/low beam with projectors.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:16 PM
Will those TRS morimoto LED foglights fit on 2018 Fit?

Quick Reply: Installed those TRS Morimoto LEDs