Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-exterior-modifications-jdm-styling-sub-forum/)
-   -   Weird Noise After Installing Curt Tow Hitch (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-exterior-modifications-jdm-styling-sub-forum/94410-weird-noise-after-installing-curt-tow-hitch.html)

Peterjens 10-13-2016 01:50 PM

Weird Noise After Installing Curt Tow Hitch

I installed a Curt Tow Hitch after reading posts here. After the install, I now hear a "tinny" sound coming from the engine area when driving at a crawl speed of around 5 mph or less. The sound doesn't have a rhythm, i.e., pattern. I was wondering if it has something to do with the muffler as it was unsupported for a time during the install.

I am at 15% (Minder) so I haven't taken the 2015 EX CVT in yet. The stealership wants me to charge me $133 for analysis.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Bassguitarist1985 10-13-2016 02:23 PM

In the engine bay, no idea. The heat shield of the muffler will rattle if the hitch isn't installed properly. I don't trust CVT's to tow anything period. At least with the 6MT you got actual metal gears between the motor and wheels.

Peterjens 10-13-2016 06:52 PM

I installed the tow hitch just to transport landscape clippings to the refuse area with the HOA trailer. Nothing major - real light use.
I'm talking ferns and flower petals. I made sure the muffler guards in the back end weren't touching the hitch (as advised by previous posters).

In a perfect world I would have a floor jack and lift up the front end and engage the Drive to isolate the noise. Just hoping it had happened to someone else. I know it is something pertaining to the hitch installation because the noise was not present pre-installation.

Bassguitarist1985 10-13-2016 11:02 PM

Yeah i got nothing. Hitch on the rear of the car and noise in the front, dont make sense to me.

DrewE 10-14-2016 07:38 PM

If it's an exhaust heat shield, it probably would rattle when you rev the engine slightly in neutral/park. If so, you might be able to locate it with another person by having one rev the engine and the other figure out where the sound is coming from. I would suggest trying that when everything is cool, particularly if you're about to poke around the exhaust system. It also wouldn't be a terrible idea to chock the wheels.

Chopper 10-14-2016 09:45 PM

I put mine on about a month ago, I would check the rubber grommets on the rear muffler, make sure they are seated, I siliconed mined so they slide on better, give the whole exhaust a good pull push, I put mine up on jack stands on the rear for the install.

Jazu 05-25-2020 05:37 PM

Did you ever figure out why your car rattled after installing the Curt Hitch?

rla217@ 05-26-2020 09:12 PM

Maybe it is the mufler heat shield, and the exhaust pipe is just transmitting the sound to the engine bay, like a telephone wire.