3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

A caution to those blacking out their rear reflectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation A caution to those blacking out their rear reflectors

If you live in the United States and have blacked out or are considering blacking out their rear reflectors, please be advised that doing so _may_ put you in violation of federal law (49 CFR § 393.11 - Lamps and reflective devices.)

This portion of the federal regulations state, in part, that all vehicles must have two red reflex reflectors on the rear of the vehicle, one on either side of the vehicle centerline.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.11

Old 02-07-2019, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bdcheung
If you live in the United States and have blacked out or are considering blacking out their rear reflectors, please be advised that doing so _may_ put you in violation of federal law (49 CFR § 393.11 - Lamps and reflective devices.)

This portion of the federal regulations state, in part, that all vehicles must have two red reflex reflectors on the rear of the vehicle, one on either side of the vehicle centerline.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.11
I believe a keyword in that law is "commercial vehicle." Although I am sure the DOT has something against hiding anything they have approved of.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member

If you are referring to the 2 red plastic pieces that run vertically along the hatch window, they aren't reflectors, even though they look reflective....the reflectors are built into the taillights. Those two pieces of shiny red trim are just that, shiny, hideous red trim, nothing more. If you're referring to the actual reflectors on the GK, well, yeah, that would be illegal. Am assuming you mean doing this (the vertical red pieces?)? Not illegal.....and looks a whole lot better. I post this with the disclaimer that this applies to at least the 2015 Fit in the US, dunno if on later models they actually made these reflectors, but they aren't on my car, and I PlastiDipped them black....black on black FIT and it looks loads better than the pseudo-CRV look. If the shape flowed into the rear light assembly better and if they actually lit up, that's be great....as is, they're useless. Stand behind one with a flashlight at night and check it out - they do NOT reflect.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
I believe a keyword in that law is "commercial vehicle." Although I am sure the DOT has something against hiding anything they have approved of.
I cited that specifically since it has the specs, but here's the bit where 393.11 applies to everyone: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.26

(a)Mounting.Reflex reflectors shall be mounted at the locations required by § 393.11. In the case of motor vehicles so constructed that requirement for a 381 mm (15-inch) minimum height above the road surface is not practical, the reflectors shall be mounted as close as practicable to the required mounting height range. All permanent reflex reflectors shall be securely mounted on a rigid part of the vehicle. Temporary reflectors on projecting loads must be securely mounted to the load and are not required to be permanently mounted to a part of the vehicle. Temporary reflex reflectors on vehicles transported in driveaway-towaway operations must be firmly attached.

(b)Specifications. All required reflex reflectors (except reflex reflectors on projecting loads, vehicles transported in a driveaway-towaway operation, converter dollies and pole trailers) on vehicles manufactured on or after December 25, 1968, shall meet the applicable requirements of FMVSS No. 108 in effect on the date of manufacture of the vehicle. Reflex reflectors on projecting loads, vehicles transported in a driveaway-towaway operation, and all reflex reflectors on converter dollies and pole trailers must conform to SAE J594 - Reflex Reflectors, December 2003.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
If you are referring to the 2 red plastic pieces that run vertically along the hatch window, they aren't reflectors, even though they look reflective....the reflectors are built into the taillights.
That's what I was referring to, yes. I'm at work and it's bright out, so when I came across the regulation, the "blackout the red things" popped into my head.

It being light out I really didn't have a way of checking on my GK5 whether they reflect.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Also, ^^^^^ this isn't my FIT ^^^^^, just a pic someone posted on here before

Old 02-09-2019, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Nonsense. Though it may technically violate safety laws, most insurance companies these days rarely see the car due to the sheer number of accidents.

Also if someone rear ends you, they were going to anyways regardless of anything you've aesthetically done to your car.

Reflectors do nothing useful during the day, and at night or dusk your lights should be on anyways and they are PLENTY bright.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:10 PM
The real issue to consider is whether the local and state police would catch you for this. Some states are more strict than others.
I doubt this flags anything with insurance in the case of a claim.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blkfit2015
The real issue to consider is whether the local and state police would catch you for this. Some states are more strict than others.
I doubt this flags anything with insurance in the case of a claim.
and some states require annual safety inspections where they verify the presence and function of required safety equipment. I know in VA they check for functioning brake and head lights among other checks. Not sure if they also check for reflex reflectors.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member

If you are referring to the 2 red plastic pieces that run vertically along the hatch window, they aren't reflectors, even though they look reflective....the reflectors are built into the taillights. Those two pieces of shiny red trim are just that, shiny, hideous red trim, nothing more. If you're referring to the actual reflectors on the GK, well, yeah, that would be illegal. Am assuming you mean doing this (the vertical red pieces?)? Not illegal.....and looks a whole lot better. I post this with the disclaimer that this applies to at least the 2015 Fit in the US, dunno if on later models they actually made these reflectors, but they aren't on my car, and I PlastiDipped them black....black on black FIT and it looks loads better than the pseudo-CRV look. If the shape flowed into the rear light assembly better and if they actually lit up, that's be great....as is, they're useless. Stand behind one with a flashlight at night and check it out - they do NOT reflect.
Beauty and hideous being in the eye of the eye of the beholder. They can be made functional (light up) at the cost of $200+ or just reflective with large swaths of reflective tape.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Beauty and hideous being in the eye of the eye of the beholder. They can be made functional (light up) at the cost of $200+ or just reflective with large swaths of reflective tape.
If they'd styled them a little better, like maybe curving the bottom to hit the taillights right at the top of the reverse light, it would visually flow....that horizontal edge of the non-reflectors just looks like an afterthought. If they lit up, I'd be fine with it...not into putting reflective tape on 'em, car already has reflectors...a $7 rattle can/a few coats of PlastiDip makes it look just right, especially since my FIT is black. I still think they're hideous. To each, their own...

Old 02-09-2019, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
..... or just reflective with large swaths of reflective tape.
I like this idea since I have a large roll of aluminum tape lying around, but this experiment will have to wait until summer.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
ProTip: If you're going to do that, get a couple small strips of black reflective vinyl from your local sign shop.

They'll look better since they're black, and yet they'll still be reflective. Win/win

Old 02-16-2019, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
If they'd styled them a little better, like maybe curving the bottom to hit the taillights right at the top of the reverse light, it would visually flow....that horizontal edge of the non-reflectors just looks like an afterthought. If they lit up, I'd be fine with it...not into putting reflective tape on 'em, car already has reflectors...a $7 rattle can/a few coats of PlastiDip makes it look just right, especially since my FIT is black. I still think they're hideous. To each, their own...
Well my 2015 Fit EX is like two previous Civics Marino Red. So black on black for you, red on red for md for me. To each his (her) own. None of the other body colors available would work as well as black/red.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:47 PM
Um your stock US spec taillights have reflectors in them. Hence why the 2018+ EX and EX-L have no bumper reflectors. The Sport includes a reflective red strip above the deffuser. The ones on the earlier cars are just added protections from Honda. But all US spec taillights have them in them built on. So deleting the bumper reflectors isn't going to cause any issues in an accident or with any law enforcement.