Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-interior-modifications-sub-forum/)
-   -   Sound Deadening (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-interior-modifications-sub-forum/100539-sound-deadening.html)

azopelnut 05-06-2019 10:47 AM

Sound Deadening

I love my 2015 Fit EX but I would like it if the cabin noise was a bit quieter. What materials has anyone had success with and what areas on the car have had the best results in dampening the noise?

Action Jackson 05-06-2019 09:21 PM

What did your search come up with?

azopelnut 05-07-2019 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 1428200)
What did your search come up with?

No response

fujisawa 05-07-2019 09:05 PM

Searchy mcsearchface ("sound deadening")

I know plenty about this topic and will happily discuss if there are questions after reading some of the info out there. Plenty of people find the Fit's lack of grace disturbing.

azopelnut 05-09-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by fujisawa (Post 1428275)
Searchy mcsearchface ("sound deadening")

I know plenty about this topic and will happily discuss if there are questions after reading some of the info out there. Plenty of people find the Fit's lack of grace disturbing.

Thanks for your offer. I was wondering specifically on the 3rd gen Fit like mine if there are critical areas that would have the greatest improvement in sound deadening. In other older cars I have owned I went the "el cheapo" route and used the off the shelf rolled material from Home Depot but I know that is not as effective as the material specifically made for sound deadening like Dynamat etc.

fujisawa 05-09-2019 12:49 PM

True, but there are non brand options like noico I used. There will definitely be some materials cost, especially if you use rubber sheeting anywhere. I have used noico and foam or fabric sound mats.

Personally I think under the dash and under the rear seat hinge is the most effective place to start.

seditious3 05-09-2019 02:02 PM

I have a '16 EX I got 2 months ago. It's quieter than I thought - my sister's '09 is very loud. In 2 weeks I'm doing a complete sound deadening/soundproofiing, and putting in an amp, speakers, and subwoofer. I'm stripping the entire car to the bare metal, using CLD (dynamat, but not that brand), a thin layer of closed-cell polyethethlyne foam, and then mass-loaded vinyl on top. Probably only CLD on the roof - evidently the headliner is a major pain in the ass to take down. The rest of the car is essentially a tinker toy.

fujisawa 05-09-2019 03:48 PM

How seditious is doing it is the proper way, in case anybody is wondering. Like many things, there is a best way and there are many less good ways available to get to the end state. It's a not-trivial amount of work to strip the interior, but I've done some pieces individually and I can conclude nothing about it is unachievable for a DIYer.

seditious3 05-10-2019 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by fujisawa (Post 1428429)
How seditious is doing it is the proper way, in case anybody is wondering. Like many things, there is a best way and there are many less good ways available to get to the end state. It's a not-trivial amount of work to strip the interior, but I've done some pieces individually and I can conclude nothing about it is unachievable for a DIYer.

I'm giving myself 2 full days, with help, to do it. I have all the proper tools. I think (hope) I should be fine.

fujisawa 05-10-2019 07:23 PM

I'm sure you'll be fine 😊 One guy here did it and his biggest complaint was he hadn't thought about where to put all the stuff he took out of the car :D

glasswave 10-01-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by seditious3 (Post 1428421)
I'm doing a complete sound deadening/soundproofiing, and putting in an amp, speakers, and subwoofer. I'm stripping the entire car to the bare metal, using CLD (dynamat, but not that brand), a thin layer of closed-cell polyethethlyne foam, and then mass-loaded vinyl on top. Probably only CLD on the roof - evidently the headliner is a major pain in the ass to take down. The rest of the car is essentially a tinker toy.

I am doing much the same. Amp, 2 component speakers, door mounted sub then deadening. I was going to skip the headliner. I was told that unless you are getting lots of rain noise that the headliner does not help much. It has been suggested that I spray the fender wells from the outside with a spray on deadener.

A couple of questions, if I may.
  1. How thick is of closed cell foam (CCF) are you go to use to decouple the MLV? I have read 1/8" is sufficient, but those who sell a combined CCF and MLV tend to use 1/4 CCF bonded to 1/8" MLV (1 lb/ft).
  2. How do you plan to attach the CCF and MLV to the floor? The doors? Glue? Industrial Velcro tape?
  3. Are you using a CCF bonded to MLV product or are you putting them in separate?
  4. Are you doing full coverage CLD? Sound Deadening show down recommends just 25% coverage, Second skin reccommends 65% coverage.
  5. Do you know how hard spraying deadening coating to the fender wells would be to do?

Thanks.

evilchargerfan 10-01-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by glasswave (Post 1436837)
  1. Do you know how hard spraying deadening coating to the fender wells would be to do?

may wanna spend a few mins, and read up on what Rick did

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-campaign.html

take away = just make sure the foam is not the type that expands, ALOT. it can potentially do harm and/or misalign stuff

glasswave 10-01-2019 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan (Post 1436845)
may wanna spend a few mins, and read up on what Rick did

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-campaign.html

take away = just make sure the foam is not the type that expands, ALOT. it can potentially do harm and/or misalign stuff

Thanks,

If I do it, I'd be using a non expanding product like:

Second Skin Spectrum™ Spray On Deadener

My impulse is to just use CLD tiles, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl.

evilchargerfan 10-01-2019 02:33 PM

that product looks promising.

fujisawa 10-01-2019 10:32 PM

Product says spray on

Comes in a tub

:?

glasswave 10-17-2019 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by fujisawa (Post 1436878)
Product says spray on

Comes in a tub

:?

You need to have a sprayer to apply it. Or it can be brushed on.

Here's an aerosol packaged product, if that is what you need.