Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-interior-modifications-sub-forum/)
-   -   Gentex auto-dimming mirror - can it be installed in a 2015? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-interior-modifications-sub-forum/83178-gentex-auto-dimming-mirror-can-installed-2015-a.html)

chrisjones 06-26-2014 04:13 PM

Gentex auto-dimming mirror - can it be installed in a 2015?

I've traded in a 2011 Sonata for my new 2015 Fit, and obviously when you buy a new car, you're going to miss SOMETHING from your old one. The Sonata had a very nice auto-dimming rear-view mirror with garage door openers built in to keep me from having to clip the bulky portable opener to the visor as I'm now doing again.

I've discovered that this very mirror is available as an aftermarket purchase:

Yeah, a bit pricey at $208, but I *love* the auto-dimming and the integrated door opener. Either I suck at searching for this or it simply hasn't been posted yet, but I cannot find whether this mirror will install directly on the existing 2015 Fit mirror bracket (what's left after unscrewing the factory mirror) or if the adapter that's required for some mirrors is needed:

...Or if it neither fits nor is there an adapter available.

I sure don't want to kick out $208 and find that it can't be installed at all.

If this works, I'm planning on paying a local independent shop to install it for me. The electrical is easy enough, as is mounting it, but I'm not comfortable with routing the wires in a completely hidden way. At the very least, it looks like something needs to be removed along the door frame to tuck it away.

VAnative 06-28-2014 08:18 AM

With the caveat that I haven't done this before (I'm looking to do the same thing), I found out that Gentex has a reseller called Mito that sells in the retail market. They sell an adapter, Gentex# 50-901160M

Honda/Subaru Mount Adapter for Gentex Mirror

This mount is made to convert any factory Cam Lock style mirror to fit the Gentex or Intraphex rearview mirrors, most popular with Honda and Subaru vehicles.

It's $14.50 on their website - Welcome to MITO-Auto.

I found the same thing (I think) on Amazon for $22.92 -

I find it a little strange - even though this is an inexpensive car, I thought most cars these days would have a built-in garage door opener, as they prevent someone stealing your battery-powered one and cleans up the interior.

VAnative 06-28-2014 08:29 AM

Found this link on the forums for an older generation Fit, but should be virtually identical in installation instructions for the 2015.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-homelink.html

chrisjones 06-30-2014 09:00 AM

Update

All,

I've contacted Mito, the reseller who Gentex refers via their website for information. According to the reply, the bracket in the current Fit should be standard so that the mirror will install as-is without needing the adapter which is necessary for some other Honda models. That's good. I can't say that I have 100% confidence that the Mito rep has checked this out for the 2015 model or if he's just assuming that it will be the same as 2013 and earlier, but I'd guess it isn't likely that they've changed this from earlier models. No reason to do that. So between what Mito says and what VAnative has found as installation instructions, I'm assuming I can just order the mirror by itself and get it installed. For reference, here is the full e-mail exchange with the Mito guy:

================

Yes, the Honda Fit should have the basic mirror button on the windshield where ours will fit directly on

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:28 PM
To: Sales@Mitocorp.com
Subject: MITO Corporation: GENTEX GENK40A

This is an enquiry email via Welcome to MITO-Auto from:
__________ <_______@gmail.com>

Do you know whether a Gentex GENK40A mirror can be installed in a 2015 Honda Fit? Mostly concerned with whether the existing mirror bracket works with this mirror as-is or whether it needs an adapter, or if it just doesn't work at all. Need to know this before I buy. Thanks!

snufy 10-13-2014 04:06 PM

Garage door opener

Cant say about the mirror although I have just ordered just a auto dimming mirror from ebay.
But I did purchase a homelink module and with a little solder and a little wire and a button I installed under dash and bingo no more bulky remote.
I had the wire and solder and stuff, Im thinking for the button and module was under 30 bucks total and a little time.
Figure I can take module with me if I change cars and was super easy.
Heres a pic of the button.. lights up at night around center button, I think it looks nice

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3947/...afcc79fc_s.jpg

CIOWN 10-15-2014 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by snufy (Post 1270902)
Cant say about the mirror although I have just ordered just a auto dimming mirror from ebay.

Can you post the eBay item number on the Auto Dimming Mirror you ordered.

LarryS 06-17-2016 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by snufy (Post 1270902)
But I did purchase a homelink module and with a little solder and a little wire and a button I installed under dash and bingo no more bulky remote.
I had the wire and solder and stuff, Im thinking for the button and module was under 30 bucks total and a little time.
Figure I can take module with me if I change cars and was super easy.
Heres a pic of the button.. lights up at night around center button, I think it looks nice

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3947/...afcc79fc_s.jpg

Did you ever install the autodimming mirror in your 2015 FIT? Any bumps along the way & where did you pick up power? Thanks.

spets 09-19-2016 09:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just installed my Gentex with homelink in my 2015. Actually mirror install onto the windshield was plug and play; undo the torx screw and sldie old mirror off, install new mirror.

As for wiring, I ran the wires tucked under the headliner and then down the door edge, under the seal.

Since I have homelink along with auto dimming I had to find both a battery on wire and an ignition wire. For ignition, I used add-a-fuse with the accessory fuse slot (#37), for the battery, I just picked an open fuse spot in the fuse block.

Attachment 10156

Attachment 10157