3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

‘18 Sport shifter boot

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:55 PM
‘18 Sport shifter boot

Hey guys,

New Fitfreak here... So I need to remove the shifter boot and I was hoping someone’s done this already. I’ve seen the post regarding install of the Acuity collar necessitating the removal of the whole center console, etc. But I think that’s maybe an EX, and here’s the thing - there’s a screwdriver sized notch right above the black trim surrounding the boot. It’s right at the front, center of the black piece, you can juuuust see it in this pic. I like to see some photos or better yet videos before I start popping parts off lol, I know someone’s gonna say “Stick a screwdriver in there!”.

So anyone removed their boot? Can you confirm for me that that notch will allow for the popping off that trim piece and boot with it? Any instruction is greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Sadly... you WILL have to remove the whole center console, but ita not hard at all.... you may even take more time changing the collar than removing the console itself...

Here is a write up on the issue....

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1307128

Old 07-27-2018, 11:08 PM
I may be wrong, but I think that notch is there to remove the cupholders...

Old 07-31-2018, 08:40 PM
I think I came up with a good solution to the lack of collar on the Sport, just in case anyone is interested. I didn’t want to take the console apart just to put a couple zip ties on the stick under the neck of the boot. So here’s what I thought of -

I have a nut threaded onto the stick under my shift knob (the heavy 1lb Blox 6sp in gunmetal, love it), and the nut is made from some non-stainless steel so it’ll stick to a magnet. So I ordered a strong ring shaped magnet that just fits over the stick and the outside diameter should just about sit flush with the boot - so I’m gonna glue the magnet ring to the plastic top of the boot and it will suck right up against the nut under the shift knob - no gap! And no collar installation required!

I like the Acuity collar, don’t get me wrong. But I just wasn’t in the mood to take out the console etc just to close a shift boot gap. So if my magnet rings works, I’ll post an update with pics. The ring magnet was $2, I think it’s 18mm od, 10mm id, and maybe 5mm thick. If I did my math right it should be almost perfect.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by UnFitParent
I think I came up with a good solution to the lack of collar on the Sport, just in case anyone is interested. I didn’t want to take the console apart just to put a couple zip ties on the stick under the neck of the boot. So here’s what I thought of -

I have a nut threaded onto the stick under my shift knob (the heavy 1lb Blox 6sp in gunmetal, love it), and the nut is made from some non-stainless steel so it’ll stick to a magnet. So I ordered a strong ring shaped magnet that just fits over the stick and the outside diameter should just about sit flush with the boot - so I’m gonna glue the magnet ring to the plastic top of the boot and it will suck right up against the nut under the shift knob - no gap! And no collar installation required!

I like the Acuity collar, don’t get me wrong. But I just wasn’t in the mood to take out the console etc just to close a shift boot gap. So if my magnet rings works, I’ll post an update with pics. The ring magnet was $2, I think it’s 18mm od, 10mm id, and maybe 5mm thick. If I did my math right it should be almost perfect.
great idea, excited to see the results!
The floppy shift boot was something that I noticed immediately when getting in the car

Old 05-03-2019, 08:15 PM
I was going to post this exact question today but apparently on the 6MT Fits there is no collar under the shifter for the boot to snap onto?

I bought a used 18 Sport and noticed the boot on day one. Today I did find that one of the push pins at the front of the shifter tunnel cover was missing so am not sure if the PO had it off for some reason or maybe the dealer had worked on it.

At any rate it seems odd that the top of the boot does not snap onto something under the shift knob.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Yep, the '18 Sports shift boot floats right under the shift knob. I swapped mine to a stainless ball and just moved the lock collar nut down further until i had about a millimeter of play.

Don't understand the reasoning, but could be for cost savings since the Fit is already cheap or it could be to reduce the stress and stretch of the boot being attached to the knob. For sure all of my previous manuals i've ever owned always seemed to have a tear right where the boot attached to the knob - oem and aftermarket.