Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   How to turn Traction Control (TCS+VSA) completely off on GK (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/100093-how-turn-traction-control-tcs-vsa-completely-off-gk.html)

maxjd 02-25-2019 02:47 PM

How to turn Traction Control (TCS+VSA) completely off on GK

Hello, I'm strongly considering getting a GK fit, however to me, being able to completely disable traction control is highly important, as I want to be able to mess around in snowy parking lots, and potentially track/autocross it. After checking the manual for the GK online, I noticed when it says disable VSA it says that "traction control becomes less effective", vs in the GE fit manual it says "traction control will also be turned off". After further research it seems that the new civic's, except type R, say the same in their manuals. I found a video online saying how to completely disable traction control on a 10th gen civic:
(
). I was wondering if anybody has done this or could try this. I love everything about this car except this worries me. I'm looking at getting a manual if that makes a difference.

Thanks

ashchuckton 02-25-2019 02:55 PM

I'd guess pulling the ABS fuse would kill it. Not sure how your car would react to that, maybe throw a hissy fit & give you codes to clear. Proceed at your own risk.

nisco 02-25-2019 08:27 PM

I do it every time I drive my GK.
Very similar to the procedure in the Civic X video you posted.

Procedure:
1. Turn car on
2. With e-brake disengaged, foot on brake, turn TCS OFF then ON
3. Take foot off brake, engage e-brake, turn TCS OFF then ON
4. With e-brake still engaged, foot on brake, turn TCS OFF.
5. Now your TCS light will be flashing at you.
6.???
7. Profit!

​​​​​​​The TCS light will be flashing the entire time you have it fully disengaged. In order to turn it off just hit the TCS button again, or it'll automatically turn off when you turn the car off.

maxjd 02-25-2019 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by nisco (Post 1424329)
Very similar to the procedure in the Civic X video you posted.

Procedure:
1. Turn car on
6.???
7. Profit!

The TCS light will be flashing the entire time you have it fully disengaged. In order to turn it off just hit the TCS button again, or it'll automatically turn off when you turn the car off.

Thanks man, I was concerned I'd have to settle for a second Gen fit, as being the sole driver of my car is very important to me. I'm looking into a Hondata ECU and whether that will be able to completely disable traction control permenantly while keeping ABS. I will post my findings here when I get them.

Action Jackson 02-25-2019 10:14 PM

Hold down the VSA button. Hear a beep and see the symbol on the dash. They're off. ABS still works.

maxjd 02-25-2019 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 1424343)
Hold down the VSA button. Hear a beep and see the symbol on the dash. It's off. ABS still works.

Apparently that turns VSA off, and limits the functionality of TCS but TCS is still on.

nisco 02-25-2019 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by maxjd (Post 1424344)
Apparently that turns VSA off, and limits the functionality of TCS but TCS is still on.

That is correct.

Action Jackson 02-26-2019 11:32 PM

My mind is blown!

TnTkr 05-28-2020 06:26 AM

I can confirm that this does the trick on my 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic, except that at #4 you need to switch VSA both off and then on.

So the procedure to disable both traction control and stability control fully is as follows:

1. Turn car on (you may or may not start the engine, both seems to work)
2. With parking brake disengaged, foot on brake, switch VSA OFF and ON
3. Take foot off brake, engage parking brake, switch VSA OFF and ON
4. With parking brake still engaged, foot on brake, switch VSA OFF and ON

Now the VSA light will light up and VSA OFF light starts blinking and keeps that way all the time indicating the VSA is FULLY OFF. In order to turn the lights off and VSA ON press the VSA button again, or it'll automatically return to default mode (VSA ON) when you turn the car off.

It also appears that if the VSA has been fully disabled as described above and then enabled by pressing the VSA button, it cannot be fully disabled again until the car is turned off.

Now I'm just waiting for winter :cool:

knope 05-29-2020 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 1424343)
Hold down the VSA button. Hear a beep and see the symbol on the dash. They're off. ABS still works.

yeah this seems good enough for my needs...

Originally Posted by nisco (Post 1424329)
Procedure:
1. Turn car on
6.???
7. Profit!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...6046542233.png

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 1424429)
My mind is blown!

mine as well.

TnTkr 05-29-2020 01:00 AM

For sure many or even most Fit/Jazz drivers are happy with all the assistance systems on, or happy with more tolerable setting achieved by using VSA OFF button. But there are certainly people like me who want and/or need to get these completely off, to prevent any interference to driving. Some people want to have fun on track or backroads, some others need to get all in when pushing uphill through snow or slush, where any means to slow down any wheel or engine may lead to not getting there.

Actually I just verified that procedure works and that having the VSA completely disabled really makes the difference. I drove a ramp turning out of the highway accelerating 2nd gear with full throttle. With VSA OFF just from button, the car made a significant slowdown when the inner wheel begun to loose traction. With the VSA completely disabled with above described method the inner wheel started to spin for a while, but the acceleration remained smooth.

Bad thing is you need to do the procedure every time you start the car, which increases the time to get driving like 70's diesels with slow glow plugs.

knope 05-29-2020 05:26 PM

That's all well and good. Some day I'll give the VSA konami code a shot.

Fuelish 05-29-2020 09:28 PM

I can verify that the method described works, can't remember if I read it here first or elsewhere on the wild wild www. I turn it all off on occasion for some twisty backroad drives, but anymore, I drive back and forth from work, the grocery store, the gas station...not to mention I'm on FMLA for a scheduled hip replacement on Monday, so...no drivin at all for a bit :( My wife better be nice ;)

bill bosco 06-06-2020 03:52 PM

just tried it , i like it alot , definitely runs stronger , especially through curves . why does honda do these things , have a fix and then hide it ?
something to do with the foreign market maybe ?

Limmie 06-12-2020 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by bill bosco (Post 1446819)
why does honda do these things , have a fix and then hide it ?
something to do with the foreign market maybe ?

Probably because people like doing stupid things. Some teenage kid will read this thread and disable all the features even where they are really very good to have, then kill himself and the parents will sue Honda for even letting this be a hard-to-access feature. For that reason I would say you may be correct in saying it is for the "foreign market" -- the USA being that foreign market where people are always looking for somebody else to blame (and sue) for the stupid things they do.

robs 06-13-2020 10:06 PM

I autocrossed one year. Was a PITA doing it every time before you got to the line. If you didn't, the nanny would slow you down quite a bit, and once on the coarse.. no hope of turning it off :)

squareback 06-13-2020 10:12 PM

What’s really happening when you do this is that you’re putting the car in diagnostic mode. Without the nannies on, a technician can do diagnostic work on the car. That’s why it’s not published anywhere for the average owner to see. Does the car drive better this way? I think so, but 99% of Fit drivers couldn’t care less about this and would rather just get in and go wherever they’re headed. Other new Hondas have this same feature. I can confirm that a new Civic Si becomes a superstar with this procedure done. 👍

TnTkr 06-14-2020 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by robs (Post 1447046)
I autocrossed one year. Was a PITA doing it every time before you got to the line. If you didn't, the nanny would slow you down quite a bit, and once on the coarse.. no hope of turning it off :)

Yes, the ritual really annoys. I still seriously consider adding a switch to one of the ABS sensor cables to get rid of all disturbing features depending of wheel speed sensor (VSA, TCS, CTBA, ABS) with one switch that can be used anytime.

Rob H 06-14-2020 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by robs (Post 1447046)

You only have to do it once until you shut the car off. I used the civic method when I autocross mine. I really didn't see it as a big deal. You have to start the car in grid and let it warm up anyway. Or at least you should before taking it to redlne in 2nd gear.

Rob H 06-14-2020 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by TnTkr (Post 1447061)
Yes, the ritual really annoys. I still seriously consider adding a switch to one of the ABS sensor cables to get rid of all disturbing features depending of wheel speed sensor (VSA, TCS, CTBA, ABS) with one switch that can be used anytime.

I had a wheel sensor wire break. It turns everything off. It also was showing the steering warning light on the dash. The steering feels different and not as responsive. Not exactly sure what is inoperable with it? Personally, I like the ABS for autocross. I've used the Civic method, seems perfect.