Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Car not responding (sometimes) to keyless entry (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/100613-car-not-responding-sometimes-keyless-entry.html)

Zute 05-17-2019 09:37 AM

Car not responding (sometimes) to keyless entry

Yes, I've replaced the keyless remote's battery many times and I'll try again. It hasn't helped in the past. I've also switched remotes.

I've had this issue off and on ever since my head unit was replaced (because sometimes the camera displayed a black screen static several) years ago. It is getting worse now so probably time to take it into the dealer. But I'm curious if anyone has had issues with their car refusing to unlock or start? The way I've been working around it is to dig the remote from my purse and manually unlock/lock the car doors. After that, the car will start. Since it doesn't happen reliably I'm afraid that I'll take it into the dealer and they'll try it and come back and say "Nothing wrong. Worked for us."

Thanks!

Razor_Burn 05-17-2019 12:14 PM

The keyless entry system can get real finicky if blocked by a cellphone or something with a lot of metal in it. I carry my keys in my pockets and will sometimes have to shuffle the stuff in my pockets around to ensure it gets a good signal when it won't open on the first try.

Zute 05-17-2019 01:59 PM

Interesting! I'll try just taking my cell phone out of my purse and see if that helps.

QuiGonQuinn 05-17-2019 07:49 PM

I even tried to get one of those silicone fob covers, and noticed that it caused a significant decrease in the performance of the smart key. So there are a lot of things that could be interfering with the signal. Maybe try keeping it in an outer pocket of your purse, or hanging off the strap on a keychain on the outside.

BrokenLimits 05-19-2019 04:05 PM

I have an RFID blocking wallet and if my key is "behind" it in my pocket it will not work. I just look like an idiot standing next to my car touching the handle over and over again.

Zute 05-20-2019 05:42 PM

Actually, just in the last day my car is telling me the battery is low. So I went to replace it and the entire key fell apart! Maybe I'll take it to the Honda dealer and see if they can reassemble it for me.

Zute 05-20-2019 06:29 PM

New remote (keyless entry)

Has anyone had to replace a remote keyless for their 2015? Can you program it yourself? Anywhere to get a good discount on one? I can't find my spare and my main key is falling apart. :(

SHAG 05-21-2019 08:43 PM

I've been having the NO Start problem for about a year. It happens maybe once a week sometimes not. I carry the FOB in right front pants pocket with a small knife. I have to push one of the buttons on the FOB for it to start.

Zute 05-21-2019 09:10 PM

That's exactly the symptom I am having, Shag.

Mercyhold 05-24-2019 01:22 AM

This is the time i'm glad i don't have keyless entry....

wasserball 05-24-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mercyhold (Post 1429253)
This is the time i'm glad i don't have keyless entry....

A little side bar here. I agree that it's one fancy thrill that I don't need or want. The old reliable crank the key in ignition to start the engine works well. Long live the LX.

Bassguitarist1985 05-24-2019 09:34 AM

Cell phones would not necessarily interfere since they operate far higher in the spectrum. Fobs operate in the 315mhz range, and cell phones are 1900mhz, or 1.9Ghz. Your TPMS sensors (not applicable for the GK but potentially for other generations) operate in the same frequency range as the fob, and if one of the batteries is getting low, it can start putting out trash signals that can interfere. Of course it is always possible for other devices nearby that dont operate in the same frequency range to cause RFI. Just make sure you have a clear line of sight, battery is new, and it should work fine.

Razor_Burn 05-24-2019 09:50 AM

No TPMS sensors on the 3rd Gen fits. They use the ABS sensors to compare the speed of each tire to determine if one has a lower pressure. For the cellphone aspect my initial comment was just referring to it as a large chunk of conductive material that can easily block the weak RF signals to/from the remote.

Honestly I thought the keyless entry was a waste when I first got my car, but I have since started to appreciate how convenient it can be. Although, I'm sure I'll eat my words if it ever goes on the fritz .

Brain Champagne 05-24-2019 09:19 PM

I thought that remote keyless entry was a worthless feature until I got it. Now I'm annoyed that my house doesn't have it.

SHAG 05-24-2019 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zute (Post 1429161)

I'm thinking that the little Sheetz swipey card thing that I have on the FOB Knife ring may have something to do with it because I didn't have an issue the first year of owning the car.

I will never buy another vehicle that has a key to stick in an ignition switch inside the car just like I'll never have a bike without heated grips!

SHAG 06-02-2019 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zute (Post 1429161)

I had the issue again this past week 3 mornings in a row. That seems to be the only time it happens is when starting in my garage first thing in the morning. Weird

Brain Champagne 06-03-2019 03:41 PM

When it doesn't work have you tried taking it out of your pocket but NOT pushing any buttons? Just trying the door? I've noticed that when my phone is in my pocket between the fob and the car, that's when it doesn't work.

SHAG 06-03-2019 10:21 PM

No! Instinct makes me just reach down with my other hand while still pressing the start button and squeeze FOB and it starts.. On the 3rd day though, The NO KEY light was flashing for about 3 miles and went out halfway to work