3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Carbon Buildup on FIT Earthdream Engine Valves @ 52K--Input?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Carbon Buildup on FIT Earthdream Engine Valves @ 52K--Input?

I would like to get some advice/input regarding the attached photo of the butterfly valve on my 2015 FIT with 52K miles and know if anyone else with a 2015+ FIT has had this problem?

This photo was taken by the dealer's service advisor in the normal course of regular maintenance last week that has been done at the dealer since day 1. This FIT has only used Chevron fuel and Mobil 1 synthetic oil changes on schedule and air filter changes as needed.

He said that they are noticing carbon buildup on Honda Engines on various makes including FIT and Accord, some with substantial buildup on units that are only 1 or 2 years only and with less than 25K miles. He said that when they present the photos to new vehicle owners, they are not happy that the cost to remedy this is not covered by Warranty but the dealership does not know what else to do. They are documenting their findings for their records and Honda he says. He said that dealerships Toyota end has also inspected the valves on various models and has not seen this issue at all with their engines, just the Hondas.

The service advisor recommended cleaning the throttle body, fuel injectors, and de-carbonize the engine at a cost of 100’s of dollars.

I have not noticed a performance issue with my FIT and the service advisor says that performing the above work will not improve the engine performance at all--it will just keep the carbon from spreading which will require more extensive cleaning and engine warning light coming on in the future. No other benefit to cleaning the valves he says.

I would appreciate some input on:

1. Has anyone else here confronted this Carbon buildup on their 2015+ FIT (EarthDream Engine)?

2. What have you done about it?

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Photo of 2015 Honda FIT Engine Valve at 52K miles.

Last edited by FITEsq; 06-13-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer replaced a leaky valve cover gasket on my 2001 BMW 330i that I had bought new. The service manager mentioned that was the cleanest valves he had ever seen in a car with 110K miles. He associated that with my changing the oil/filter every 5K miles with Mobil 1. Yea, that was excessive at the time when the oil minder usually takes 15K miles before a recommended change. Also, the car was driven mostly on the highways. Are your driving mostly city miles, and are you changing the oil/filter regularly?

Last edited by wasserball; 06-13-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Are your driving mostly city miles, and are you changing the oil/filter regularly?
Mobil 1 every oil change since new when the maintenance minder says to change it--approximately every 7000-7500 miles on my car.
I drive mainly busy city stop and go, with occasional long highway trips.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
I'm a bit confused by the Dealer's determination that it's carbon buildup because this is the throttle body and no crankcase gases pass through it. The throttle body sees only clean air as having passed through your engine air filter. What I see in the photo is a typical butterfly valve on a 50K Mile vehicle and it's nothing to worry with. I'd just leave it be.

The good news is that if you wish to clean it some day, the job is easily worked with a spray can of Throttle Body Cleaner available at any auto parts store. Don't use brake cleaner or something else that "might work", as some throttle bodies are Teflon-lined and the wrong spray will strip away the coating and assure more rapid buildup of crud in the future. Also, resist moving the butterfly valve with your fingers as you spray, as with some vehicles this action will freak out the TB Position Sensor and a reset procedure will be required. Better to have the engine running with a friend at the wheel to goose the gas pedal to keep the engine running and sucking in air as you spray. Be sure that the "straw" on the spray can is firmly in place.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Winter is over and the heavy summer driving season has yet to begin. In this dull in between season the service departments are scratching for work to keep their people busy. Some scaremongering over carbon buildup should help stampede customers into pulling out their wallets and paying for some useless work to be done. I suppose they could have chosen the rust on the exhaust pipes thing and the horror of being gassed to death by carbon monoxide but perhaps the service departments are saving that one for next year.

Originally Posted by FITEsq
I have not noticed a performance issue with my FIT and the service advisor says that performing the above work will not improve the engine performance at all.........
This quote from your post says it all. You simply don't have a problem at the present time. There's been a lot of chatter about carbon buildup on DI engines. Strangely enough though, cases of an actual carbon problem affecting performance on Fits seem to be rarer than unicorns. The GK engines getting older, getting more miles on them hasn't changed anything - still more unicorns around than gunked up Fits.

Save your money until the day when you actually have a real problem with your Fit.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
I think it depends how long you plan to keep your Fit, and of course just how "many" hundreds of dollars we're talking about.

It could be worth several hundred dollars to do the cleaning every 30k miles or so, if you hope to keep the car until it hits 100k. If it's more disposable - I mean, it's not really extreme to sell a car at 50k people do that all the time - then perhaps you don't care.

It doesn't look like you have any kind of super bad case btw. Not at the throttle. I would kind of shrug and go, OK I could clean this now or in 20k miles it doesn't look like a "has to be done today" thing. But if I had access to it today .. I would clean it so I can stop thinking about it.

Sounds at least like your dealer is playing straight with you. Including pictures, saying they're documenting it, comparing with Toyota engines (I assume they also have a Toyota dealer).

If it helps - all the techs are going to be doing is - spraying and wiping the throttle body, running the engine while spraying it in to clean the manifold (this is the "decarbonizing the engine), and adding a tank of fuel injector cleaner. They are not taking the engine apart beyond where they've got. There is no need if it runs fine IMO. The cleaner will also add octane which will temporarily make your car feel faster (maybe) and get you going "wow they were right it does feel better".

Old 06-13-2019, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Curious, what regular maintenance was being performed at 52K that necessitated a peek inside the valves?

Sounds like they went looking for a problem and found one. We've told the manufacturer about this problem, but they don't seem to care, so we're offering this special service just for you. It'll cost a lot and won't improve performance at all, but it might help someday. Yeah, where do I sign up?

Old 06-13-2019, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
I would like to get some advice/input regarding the attached photo of the butterfly valve on my 2015 FIT with 52K miles and know if anyone else with a 2015+ FIT has had this problem?

This photo was taken by the dealer's service advisor in the normal course of regular maintenance last week that has been done at the dealer since day 1. This FIT has only used Chevron fuel and Mobil 1 synthetic oil changes on schedule and air filter changes as needed.

He said that they are noticing carbon buildup on Honda Engines on various makes including FIT and Accord, some with substantial buildup on units that are only 1 or 2 years only and with less than 25K miles. He said that when they present the photos to new vehicle owners, they are not happy that the cost to remedy this is not covered by Warranty but the dealership does not know what else to do. They are documenting their findings for their records and Honda he says. He said that dealerships Toyota end has also inspected the valves on various models and has not seen this issue at all with their engines, just the Hondas.

The service advisor recommended cleaning the throttle body, fuel injectors, and de-carbonize the engine at a cost of 100’s of dollars.

I have not noticed a performance issue with my FIT and the service advisor says that performing the above work will not improve the engine performance at all--it will just keep the carbon from spreading which will require more extensive cleaning and engine warning light coming on in the future. No other benefit to cleaning the valves he says.

I would appreciate some input on:

1. Has anyone else here confronted this Carbon buildup on their 2015+ FIT (EarthDream Engine)?

2. What have you done about it?

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Photo of 2015 Honda FIT Engine Valve at 52K miles.

The photo shows dirt build up. Which is normal. Just use a Carb or Throttle body cleaner and spray.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
I'm a bit confused by the Dealer's determination that it's carbon buildup because this is the throttle body and no crankcase gases pass through it. The throttle body sees only clean air as having passed through your engine air filter.

is there not a crank case hose/breather pipe .... that goes to the intake, past the filter but pre throttle body?

(per the T REV thread)

Old 06-14-2019, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member

Breather pipe.
There is a check valve located at the valve cover side. The check valve allows filtered air to flow into the valve cover but not the other way. So your throttle butterfly should not be oily

Last edited by JingJangJoe; 06-14-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
is there not a crank case hose/breather pipe .... that goes to the intake, past the filter but pre throttle body?

(per the T REV thread)
No it goes post throttle body if you're talking about from the PCV right?

Old 06-14-2019, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
No it goes post throttle body if you're talking about from the PCV right?
no, not pcv. jingjang does correctly illustrate the item in question, the pipe that connects crank case to the intake. per his green circle, that pipe sits after maf, but before tb

Originally Posted by JingJangJoe

Breather pipe.
There is a check valve located at the valve cover side. The check valve allows filtered air to flow into the valve cover but not the other way. So your throttle butterfly should not be oily

more info about that check valve please

Old 06-14-2019, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you to everyone that posted responses here—such a knowledgeable group of folks on this forum—very impressive. This discussion may help to determine what may be causing the valve condition in the photo I posted.

This morning I had the opportunity to discuss this matter with a representative of Honda. We were on the phone for more than 30 minutes some of the time with another representative coming on the line to ask questions. While it won’t help to determine the cause yet. I wanted to share with the group here what Honda’s preliminary position is:

They were able to see all the service records for my vehicle the Honda representative said as it was all performed at the Honda Dealer except this last one that had not been transmitted yet. I guess they have access to this data?

This is what I told Honda on the phone:

I am aggrieved that the Dealership told me this week that I need to spend $350 to clean the throttle body, fuel injectors, and de-carbonize the engine at 52K miles and this will need to be done regularly. The service advisor said this must all be done in order to prevent the valves from sticking, failure of the injectors, the engine warning light from coming on, and a more extensive and expensive cleaning of the engine later on. While they were not immediately able to see the valve photo I posted here for everyone on Fitfreak during my conversation--I described it to them. I told Honda that the Dealership told me that build up of Carbon is something they were alerted to on Honda’s FIT, HRV, and Accord Engines built since 2015. The service advisor told me that they were first alerted to this issue on Accords that were only 1-2 years old that had Engine Warning lights coming on attributable to excessive carbon on the valves. That they have seen this carbon build up on 2018 Accords. It was this that caused the Dealership to become proactive and examine more engines recently.

I told Honda that the Dealership told me that this service is not covered by Honda’s warranty (Honda engine warranty is 60K miles) and that the advisor said that when they present the cost of de-carbonizing the engine to new car owners—some that only had the car for a year or two—all are upset.

Because my conversation with Honda was so long I am going to just outline their responses for clarity without any commentary from me:
  1. Honda sells cars to dealerships but does not own any dealerships or repair facilities.
  2. Honda publishes a manual that new car dealers are required to give to new car owners that specifies the exact maintenance that must be done on the vehicle.
  3. Honda also equips all 2015+ model FITS with a maintenance minder that also alerts the owner when to perform maintenance and what maintenance to perform.
  4. Cleaning the throttle body, fuel injectors, and de-carbonizing the engine is Not anywhere in Honda’s manual or part of the maintenance minder for a Honda FIT at anytime in the life of vehicle.
  5. There is no recall or technical service bulletin on the 2015 Honda FIT engine or engine components at this time.
  6. Failure to perform the engine service recommended by the dealership will Not void Honda’s engine warranty as it is not a required maintenance service at any time.
  7. Performing the engine service recommended by the dealership could void the Warranty if it was not performed properly so Honda does not recommend doing this type of service.
  8. Honda does not understand why the dealership is recommending this engine service if there is no documented mechanical or performance issue with the vehicle.
  9. If I want to contact the Dealership service manager when she returns and the Dealership wants to document for Honda a mechanical or performance issue effecting the engine that de-carbonization can fix, Honda would be willing to willing to pay for the service under the Warranty.
  10. The HondaCare warranty on my 2015 FIT (8 years/120K miles) may also cover this de-carbonization service as they will be responsible for the engine after the 60K Honda warranty expires, but the dealership will still need to document specifics why this service is required now.
  11. They will submit this case to Honda’s engine engineering department for review.
  12. If they feel this is an issue affecting the fleet, then there may be a recall or technical service bulletin issued to dealers in the future.
---

>>I will meet with the service manager when she returns to the dealership in July. Can someone here help me in how to explain to her how this may be caused by a mechanical issue with the engine, the engine design, or engine associated parts like the injectors or emissions hoses that are causing the condition you saw in my Valve Photo so that she could submit this as a Warranty claim to Honda?

Last edited by FITEsq; 06-14-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Um, question....warranty claim for what? If your Fit isn't suffering any performance deficits, exactly what are you claiming? You're well out of warranty at 52K, so what is at stake here?

Honestly, if the dealership hadn't gotten picture-happy, would this even be an issue?

If you play devil's advocate here - about all that's getting done at this point is that your throttle body buildup, whatever it is, is documented. I'd sit on any problems until they arise, then you can go back to Honda and the dealership.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
condition you saw in my Valve Photo
What photo of the valve? That's a TB picture.

There is no issue and the dealer is just trying to sell you unnecessary stuff IMO. Just tell them no thanks and move on. The car is not having any issues.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
more info about that check valve please
Part number 7

Last edited by JingJangJoe; 06-14-2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 06-15-2019, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Fujisawa: "I think it depends how long you plan to keep your Fit, and of course just how "many" hundreds of dollars we're talking about."

I love this FIT and was planning on keeping it forever (or until the engine blows). I have spent a lot of $$ customizing it with a solid 2 inch completely hidden under the bumper cover with just the receiver peaking out, a full time video recording system (important if you live in Los Angeles), and some other electronics. It's a great car I have taken on road trips from LA to Portland, LA to Vegas, Arizona with incredible performance at great speeds and cargo capacity.

I always said at the office--if I won a powerball or mega, I would probably buy a second car, but never get rid of the FIT.

They wanted $350 to do the work.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Curious, what regular maintenance was being performed at 52K that necessitated a peek inside the valves?
Exactly Bargainguy. That is what concerns me so much.

When I went for service that morning I expected a Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil Change as I usually get, and since I still have not replaced the brakes at 52K, maybe it was time to do the fronts, and maybe a brake fluid exchange at the same time. At the last maintenance they told me that I was 3 mms and have time for brakes.

So last week the service advisor said the fronts are at 2 mms and left it up to me whether I want to replace the brakes now, or wait another 7K to the next maintenance. He said they checked all the drive belt, fluids, and hoses and filters and everything is okay but that I should probably replace the cabin air filter on my own soon.

But he then said:"Before you commit to spending money on brakes today, there is something more pressing that you should take care of on your car that we have been seeing on other FITS, HRV, and Accords--some as early as in the 1st or 2nd year of ownership."

He goes on to say that it was sensors on Accord Engines that have been triggering Engine warning lights and they have found that it was attributable to carbon buildup due to these types of engines. So they examined other Honda engines from 2014 to 2018 and found the same situation.

I really did not understand what this man was talking about and how this is already an issue on my 52K mile FIT. I did not have this problem on my 2009 FIT.

I told him, listen, just lets do the brakes and the brake exchange today because I know it will need soon and I have time to hang out today.

Like a doctor who discovered a cancerous tumor on your forehead that needs to come off, he took the tone of listen, you really need to have this work done on your fuel system before it infects the entire engine and costs you a lot more $$$...I am telling what we are seeing on these Earthdreams engines.

I just told him again, do the brakes, I will think about the carbon removal for $350.00 another time.

Then about 2 hours later, he calls me in his office, says brakes are done, and says that while they under the hood doing the brake fluid exchange, he instructed the tech to take a photo what he described at the butterfly valve and send it to his phone so he can show me because he feels I was not believing what he is telling me about these engines. He showed it to me, and I said send it my phone so I can study this. So he did that while I was standing there. That is the photo I posted here.

If I did not have such a strong relationship with this service advisor since 2009 on my other FIT, and service manager for the past 2 years, I would have blown this off.

But this man is telling me that this is problem that needs to be dealt with.

So I raised the issue on this forum to get additional information and input?

Last edited by FITEsq; 06-15-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Um, question....warranty claim for what? If your Fit isn't suffering any performance deficits, exactly what are you claiming? You're well out of warranty at 52K, so what is at stake here?.
Bargainguy: Honda's Engine Warranty is 60K miles and this FIT has an extended Honda Warranty on the Engine (and other parts) (Hondacare) to 120K (8 Years).

It was Honda that brought up that because I have 2 overlapping warranties that I can address this with the Service Manager to see if there is something going on with this Engine that would trigger a warranty claim.

I was looking for input on how I would present this to her? as some of the Other members here apparently have great technical knowledge about this car and engine.

Quick Reply: Carbon Buildup on FIT Earthdream Engine Valves @ 52K--Input?