Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   No oil or too much oil (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/103532-no-oil-too-much-oil.html)

Jcasenave92 11-02-2020 05:49 PM

No oil or too much oil

I'm due for an oil change in my 2015 honda Fit but haven't had the time. Everytime I check my oil nearing oil change time I get dipstick readings like this.(Image) Oil at top of the dipstick but none at the bottom. I previously added a quart assuming it's too low but now second guessing because of the oil at top of dipstick. Not sure if image is uploading but I think you guys get the point. Its the dipstick with the large orange plastic reader.

wasserball 11-02-2020 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jcasenave92 (Post 1452955)
I'm due for an oil change in my 2015 honda Fit but haven't had the time. Everytime I check my oil nearing oil change time I get dipstick readings like this.(Image) Oil at top of the dipstick but none at the bottom. I previously added a quart assuming it's too low but now second guessing because of the oil at top of dipstick. Not sure if image is uploading but I think you guys get the point. Its the dipstick with the large orange plastic reader.

You are low in oil because the bottom of the oil is not registering oil. The part of the stick that shows oil came from the side wall of the dipstick guide.

Fuelish 11-02-2020 08:54 PM

Image didn’t load here...would prefer an image to ensure everyone’s idea of top and bottom of the dipstick are the same...I hate the plastic tip, but haven’t needed to ad a drop to our ‘15 yet, just regular oil changes

NWCH 11-03-2020 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jcasenave92 (Post 1452955)

Read your owners manual if you are having trouble reading it. It will clarify what you should be looking at.

Fuelish 11-03-2020 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by NWCH (Post 1452984)
Read your owners manual if you are having trouble reading it. It will clarify what you should be looking at.

. But, seems the plastic end of the dipstick is the norm, anymore, I prefer a flat metal dipstick to the end...easier to read, for me, but...that’s just me, and am getting cranky in my old age :)

JingJangJoe 11-04-2020 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fuelish (Post 1452987)
. But, seems the plastic end of the dipstick is the norm, anymore, I prefer a flat metal dipstick to the end...easier to read, for me, but...that’s just me, and am getting cranky in my old age :)

i prefer the metal stick too.
It can be tricky to read the plastic thingy as 1 side has circular locators that skew the oil level reading.
it beats me why Honda doesn't stick with something simple and preferred to complicate things.
i thought it is a German thing

Jazu 11-04-2020 10:50 AM

Here's the manual's guidance for GK. I agree that even when you let the car rest and return to ambient temperatures, the liquid reading on the dipstick isn't consistent from one side to the other. This is the most frustrating dipstick design & use ever.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...6b137d576f.png

Jazu 11-04-2020 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JingJangJoe (Post 1452992)
i prefer the metal stick too.
It can be tricky to read the plastic thingy as 1 side has circular locators that skew the oil level reading.
it beats me why Honda doesn't stick with something simple and preferred to complicate things.
i thought it is a German thing

Cheaper to attach a plastic level to a standard metal dipstick strip across all of their models. Cheaper doesn't mean good for the consumer.

Mister Coffee 11-04-2020 11:34 AM

I've got nothing to add to this thread except to say that Honda oil dipsticks, in my experience, are hard to read unless you've got really dirty oil. I don't know why, and I don't recall having this readability issue with any other cars. If I can't see fluid on the dipstick, I use the tip of my finger to see if it is wet between the upper and lower marks. Sometimes, I will "print" the dipstick on a clean piece of paper towel to see where the wetness is.

wasserball 11-08-2020 10:45 AM

I suggest shining a light to the dip stick.

Fuelish 11-08-2020 01:58 PM

I suggest Honda just make a plain metal dipstick.....I've hated the diptstick on any modern car we've had with the plastic tip......surely it couldn't cost any more to make it one piece metal as opposed to attaching the plastic BS. Not a real issue, here, my '15 has 66,000+ miles on it, doesn't burn a drop .....yet :)