3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Honda Fit US Press Release and Detroit Show Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM
2015 Honda Fit US Press Release and Detroit Show Pics

Honda finally showed off the 2015 USDM Honda Fit at Detroit today!

Honda has finally brought over some of the premium features that the JDM model has always had, such as a sunroof and leather seats. It will also have Bluetooth and rear backup camera standard.
It also has a (much better than GE Fit) longer front end vs. the JDM model. Pics attached and press release below!

Honda Introduces All-New 2015 Fit at North American International Auto Show

01/13/2014 - DETROIT

More powerful, refined and fuel-efficient Fit set to launch this spring
All-new U.S. model showcases dynamic styling and upgraded interior packed with class-leading features and technology
Earth Dreams™ Technology engine and transmissions deliver heightened fun-to-drive performance and class-leading fuel efficiency
Honda unveiled the all-new 2015 Fit at the North American International Auto Show today. Set to go on sale in the U.S. this spring, the new Fit is completely redesigned from the ground up to deliver an unparalleled combination of style, interior space, fun-to-drive performance and fuel efficiency plus leading-edge safety and vehicle connectivity.

"The Honda Fit is a small car with big aspirations. Faster, more fuel-efficient and more fun, it's a subcompact with larger-than-life-capabilities," said John Mendel, executive vice president of automobile sales for American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "It's simply the best Fit to date and, we believe, a new benchmark in the small-car category."

Modern Styling with Class-Leading Packaging

The 2015 Fit debuts with a sleek, modern and sporty exterior style. A more aggressive front fascia showcases a new grille and headlight design. A strong character line runs along the side of the Fit, emphasizing the vehicle's aerodynamic profile. Larger 16-inch tires outfitted with a new 5-spoke wheel design give the Fit a planted and sporty stance. In the back, rear reflectors and LED taillights run along the hatch with a chrome tailgate garnish and rear diffuser, all contributing to the Fit's more substantial and dynamic appearance.

Retaining a similar exterior footprint to the current model, the new Fit is slightly shorter (-1.6 in.) and wider (+0.3 in.) with a longer wheelbase (+1.2 in.), resulting in improved handling and maneuverability. Inside, the Fit builds on its already class-leading interior space, airy cabin and large greenhouse thanks to an all-new efficient platform that incorporates a unique center-mounted fuel-tank layout. The new Fit also delivers a significant increase in passenger volume (+4.9 cu ft) and rear legroom (+4.8 in.) compared to the previous model. With the Honda-exclusive Magic Seat® offering multiple configurable seating positions, the Fit provides an unrivaled 52.7 cubic feet of cargo space when the second row seats are folded flat. With an overall height of 60 inches, the Fit allows for easy loading of items into the rear cargo and ingress/egress for passengers.

Enhanced Interior and Technology Features

The 2015 Fit will deliver above-class interior refinement and features while offering value at every trim level. All 2015 Fit models will be equipped with class-leading standard features including Bluetooth® connectivity, a multi-angle rearview camera, and Expanded View Driver's Mirror. For customers looking for premium features in the subcompact segment, Fit will be available with smart entry with push-button start, heated side mirrors, a moonroof, heated front seats, Honda's exclusive LaneWatch™ display and a 7-inch Display Audio1 touchscreen interface with HondaLink™ smartphone connectivity. Soft touch and premium materials are used throughout and, for the first time, the Fit will be offered with available leather-trimmed seating.

Improved Performance, Efficiency and Safety

The 2015 Fit marks the U.S. debut of an all-new direct-injected 1.5-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine. Generating 130 horsepower2 at 6500 rpm and 114 lb.-ft. of torque2 at 4600 rpm, engine output is increased by 13 horsepower and 8 lb.-ft. compared to the outgoing engine, while reducing weight and improving efficiency. Paired to two new transmissions, a slick-shifting 6-speed manual or a sporty and fuel-efficient Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with available paddle shifters, the Fit powertrain offers superior acceleration and passing performance and is anticipated to have class-leading3 EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 33 city/41 highway/36 combined4 (CVT-equipped models).

Complementing the new powertrain is a revised chassis that provides for improved handling, ride comfort and NVH. A more rigid body, new rear dampers and revised suspension geometry notably enhance the 2015 Fit's ride quality and fun-to-drive handling characteristics.

The 2015 Fit benefits from the most extensive use of ultra-high strength steel in the model's history, providing increased body stiffness while reducing platform (underbody and chassis) weight by 57 pounds versus the outgoing model. Equipped with the next generation of the Honda Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, the Fit is anticipated to earn top safety scores from NHTSA and IIHS, including a NCAP 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score and a TOP SAFETY PICK rating with a GOOD rating in all IIHS test modes, including the rigorous small overlap barrier test.

North America Production

The 2015 Fit will be manufactured for the first time in North America at the new Celaya, Mexico plant. With an annual capacity of 200,000 units, the facility will begin mass production of the 2015 Fit next month, adding production of an all-new small Honda SUV later in the year. With introduction of the new manufacturing facility in Mexico, Honda's North American automobile production facilities will have a total annual capacity of 1.92 million units, and will have the capability to manufacture vehicles in all product segments, from subcompacts to light truck models. With the added production, approximately 98 percent of all Honda-brand vehicles sold in the United States will be sourced from Honda plants in North America.

About Honda

Honda offers a complete lineup of cars and trucks through a network of more than 1,000 dealerships in the United States. Honda has more than 30 years of experience producing automobiles in the region, which began with the Accord in Marysville, Ohio, in November 1982. Having produced more than 25 million vehicles in North America through 2012 using domestic and globally sourced parts, Honda currently operates 14 major manufacturing facilities in North America, producing a wide range of Honda automobiles, all-terrain vehicles, power equipment products, engines and transmissions.

For high-resolution photography of the 2015 Fit, visit Honda Media Newsroom. For customers interested in receiving more information on the 2015 Fit, please visit 2015 Honda Fit - Official Site to sign up email updates.

1The Display Audio Interface is used for direct connection to and streaming from some current [Apple/Android] smartphones. For safety reasons, always launch HondaLink applications or perform any other operation on your phone only when the vehicle is safely parked. State or local laws may limit use of texting feature, and Assist functions may be terminated without notice. Your wireless carrier's rate plans apply. Please see your Honda dealer and HondaLink terms and conditions for details.

2 Preliminary estimate provided by Honda. Final specification is subject to change.

3 Among subcompact class vehicles equipped with standard engine and automatic transmission.

4 Preliminary mileage ratings determined by Honda. Final EPA mileage ratings not available at the time of printing. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle

Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
why is it stilll a 4 lug

Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by subieguy83
why is it stilll a 4 lug
5 lug = more expensive to manufacture = more expensive for you and i

Old 01-13-2014, 09:47 PM
- more horsepower, more mpg
- 6mt
- exterior size didn't grow and bloat

Honda, thank you for not ruining this car. I was counting on you to ruin it.

Last edited by bighopes; 01-13-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
one gen too late for me i guess. i wont be buying another Fit after im done with my '12. not that i hate the car, im just not going to be driving these hatches any more after this one cause i wont have to.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bighopes
- more horsepower, more mpg
- 6mt
- exterior size didn't grow and bloat

Honda, thank you for not ruining this car. I was counting on you to ruin it.
Honda kept the weight down by switching to high-strength steel, which means they don't need so much steel structural components. And Honda claims the new Fit can even survive the very latest IIHS small overlap barrier test, a test that much more expensive cars have not done well recent tests.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
Of course, I read everything I could find on line on the new Fit. One article said that they thought the new Fit might be heavier cuz of safety equipment (?). Hmmm, thought if that is so, then acceleration might stay the same as current Fit. New Fit has 13 HP more, not that much more. Honda seems to have a history of this. First Gen 105 HP, 2nd Gen 117 HP and now the new one at 130 HP. The Ford Fiesta ST has that turbo motor that makes 198 HP. Boy I would love to see a Fit version of that!

Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Appears to be about 5 cubic feet less cargo room while just about 2 inches shorter. The side profile really does not do anything for me.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Appears to be about 5 cubic feet less cargo room while just about 2 inches shorter. The side profile really does not do anything for me.
actually is 5cm longer than the GE with a fair bit more storage space.

edit: from what I can find 363 litres Vs 337 litres

not sure if that shot of the yellow one is warped or not.

this is a side profile of mine.

Name:  xVN1GKj.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  991.5 KB

Last edited by Japan Tragic; 01-14-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Japan Tragic

looks great, GJ!

damn, that green thing on the ground is an invitation for curbed lips...

Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Japan Tragic

I was reading this:

Goes on sale this spring

Following a teaser released in December, Honda has unveiled the 2015 U.S.-spec Fit at NAIAS today in Detroit.
Honda introduced the new Jazz/Fit back in July last year and now they are ready to showcase the U.S.-spec model which will be produced starting next month at a new plant in Celaya, Mexico which will have an annual capacity of 200,000 cars. At the same factory Honda will start making a small SUV later this year, most likely the Vezel.
Despite being 1.6 inches shorter than its predecessor, the new Fit manages to adopt a 1.2-inch stretched wheelbase so it is more spacious inside the cabin as the rear legroom has been boosted by 4.8 inches while passenger volume is up by 4.9 cu. ft thanks not only to the elongated wheelbase but also to a rearranged cabin layout. Riding on five-spoke 16-inch alloy wheels, the 2015 Fit is 0.3 inches wider and by folding the second row of seats cargo capacity stands at a generous 52.7 cubic feet.
Power will be provided by a newly developed 1.5-liter 4-cylinder DOHC i-VTEC gasoline engine outputting 130 bhp (97 kW) at 6,500 rpm and a peak torque of 114 lb-ft (154 Nm) at 4,600 rpm, making it 13 bhp (10 kW) and 8 lb-ft (11 Nm) more powerful than the engine it replaces. Power is sent to the front axle through a 6-speed manual gearbox or a CVT with paddle shifters. With the latter, the 2015 Fit will return an EPA-estimated 33 mpg city / 41 mpg highway / 36 mpg combined.
Aside from being more powerful and economical than its predecessor, the 2015 Honda Fit has managed to lose 57 lbs (26 kg) and promises to bring improved handling, NVH and ride comfort thanks to a more rigid body, updated suspension geometry and new rear dampers.
The 2015 Honda Fit is scheduled to go on sale this spring.

Source: Honda

added

Every new Fit will be fitted with a rear-view camera and Bluetooth connectivity as standard equipment. Options include heated front seats and side mirrors, pushbutton start with smart entry, a moonroof, and Honda's well-received LaneWatch display showing any vehicles in the car's blind spot. Also offered is a 7-inch touchscreen display audio system, with smartphone connectivity via the HondaLink feature. Leather seats are offered as an option in the Fit for the first time this year as well.

Last edited by cjecpa; 01-14-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Despite being 1.6 inches shorter than its predecessor, the new Fit manages to adopt a 1.2-inch stretched wheelbase so it is more spacious inside the cabin as the rear legroom has been boosted by 4.8 inches while passenger volume is up by 4.9 cu. ft thanks not only to the elongated wheelbase but also to a rearranged cabin layout. Riding on five-spoke 16-inch alloy wheels, the 2015 Fit is 0.3 inches wider and by folding the second row of seats cargo capacity stands at a generous 52.7 cubic feet.
Source: Honda
would be weird for them to put up incorrect info, but when I bought the car it had to be small, the Japan GK5 is same width and about 5cm longer than the Japan GE8 and the extra size was almost a deal breaker.

edit: I notice they say its .3 inches wider, this is misleading as the cars body is the same width, its .3 inch wider cabin space. to stay a "5 number" car in japan it has to be under 1.7 meters wide or it attracts additional tax.

GE8 3920mm length
GK5 3995mm length
both 1695mm wide

parked side by side the GK5 looks noticably taller aswell. (mine is quite low and roof line is still similar to a stock hieght GE8)

Last edited by Japan Tragic; 01-14-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Was looking at the side view photo of JT's Fit. For some reason, it kinda reminds me of the 1930's & '40's "aero cars". Back then, car styling was influenced by airplanes. You can see photos of trains and cars that have a certain look to them, like the car is moving fast down the road even when it's sitting still. Chrysler had a car, called the Aeroflow??? around 1939 and it has that look to it. Looking at the Fit - it's lowered and the wheel wells cover the top part of the tires. Plus black wheels give it a "look" as well. The side profile makes it look kinda streamlined; ie: the angle of the windshield. I dunno, that's what's came to mind as I was looking at the photo. Plus JT's Fit looks shorter in the front, I guess cuz it doesn't have that big bumper.
Hmmmmm - the Fit Aeroflow......

Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM
is 6 speed transmission swapable?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
I would think the 6 speed would be swappable. This is basically the same block, right? I know the engine is now DOHC vs SOHC, but still same size. Boy I would love to have that 6 speed instead of the 5 speed. Bring the rpm's down when on the road.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
To me, the main problems with the new fit are the following:

Style - im not a fan of this round design. Looks like they just had to come up with something different but it doesn't seem to have much artistic work reflected in this bubble shape.

Direct injection engine - those things have unproven long term reliability. The injectors are subjected to combustion pressures and build up. The fuel pump have to provide much more pressure, and might have earlier failure rate than regular pumps. BMW direct injected models had a large number of prematurely failing fuel pumps.
Some believe that combustion chamber's carbon build up with lead to the need to replace the injectors as well as the cylinders.

- The interior seems to be a downgrade. From GE8th futuristic dash board design, the new fit's dash board looks like something from the early 90s. The steering wheel rounded buttons have been used on late gen civics and I don't like how they look.

- Cargo space is reduced and the car is longer (i know wheel base grew by almost 4 inches) from what I read. Please onfirm or point out inaccuracy.

I would love lower hwy rpm with a 6 speed, would love a yellow color, would love sunroof and leather. Would love rear camera, and some other goodies it will come equipped with.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by john21031
To me, the main problems with the new fit are the following:

Style - im not a fan of this round design. Looks like they just had to come up with something different but it doesn't seem to have much artistic work reflected in this bubble shape.

Direct injection engine - those things have unproven long term reliability. The injectors are subjected to combustion pressures and build up. The fuel pump have to provide much more pressure, and might have earlier failure rate than regular pumps. BMW direct injected models had a large number of prematurely failing fuel pumps.
Some believe that combustion chamber's carbon build up with lead to the need to replace the injectors as well as the cylinders.

- The interior seems to be a downgrade. From GE8th futuristic dash board design, the new fit's dash board looks like something from the early 90s. The steering wheel rounded buttons have been used on late gen civics and I don't like how they look.

- Cargo space is reduced and the car is longer (i know wheel base grew by almost 4 inches) from what I read. Please onfirm or point out inaccuracy.
style I think is subjective, I didnt love the look of it first but its grown on me and I now prefer it to the older models.

direct injection is a worry but Im hoping on Hondas reliabilty for that, diesel direct injection engines have been around for ages. Surely lifting the parts like pump and injectors straight off of them couldnt be too difficult? I guess time will tell.
*edit: I have found the injector noise to be loud though (similar to diesel engines) I really dislike this! so if people are checking out this car I would suggest winding the windows down and driving it and seeing if it annoys you as much as it annoys me.

I think the interior is really good actually, the touch screen controls made the car feel a decade newer than a 2010 BMW I drove while on end of year break in Aus (perhaps BMWs have a terrible reputation for crappy interiors though, I dont know). So I have to disagree there, the dash in the hybrids is even better and possibly the best dash Ive seen in any car, including many sports cars!

Cargo space is up (a lot) on the GE8 but also car is a little longer which I think is a fail as Id prefer it stayed the same size.

Personally I would have liked to see even more power (apparently a turbo is possibly in the works down the track but yet to have any confirmation) but for a daily driver I cant really fault it badly in anyway over the 2-3 months Ive owned one for. I just wish I bent the misses arm more and made her get a manual

Last edited by Japan Tragic; 01-16-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
I gonna stick with my 2007 until 2017 probably, look great in Blue.
Of course if Honda do not release a performance version of it, the fiesta St will be really tempting , But even with that i can't live without the cargo of my car, i use it all the time!
i'm happy it is still 4 lug, i'm prettysure offset will be the same, I will be able to use my HFP wheel on it, if there are still in shape of course. because the wheel look not that good, in fact my old 15"" wheel of my GD looked better and the 16" of the current fit also look better. but i guess they will have optional wheels !
the interior is much better than the current fit, i do not like it, i fact i find my ols GD interior better looking, But the new 2015 WOW, they nail it. and and 6 spd manual! at last!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Why is everyone so excited about a 6 speed? The ge Fits had them in Japan and if you look at the ratios for the transmission it's engine speed to vehicle speed was the same (70mph at 3500+rpm) I'm sure this one will be close to the same. The only reason there offering it is because we think we need/want it and they can offer more options on a made in Mexico Fit and still make money.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 AM
We don't yet know what the gear ratios are. No use getting excited or disappointed until we know.

I like the look of the new dash. It's more clean and smooth and less "explosion of sci-fi futuristic shapes" like the GE.

Quick Reply: 2015 Honda Fit US Press Release and Detroit Show Pics