Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Meet The 2015 Honda Fit (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/81012-meet-2015-honda-fit.html)

FitFreak Editor 01-14-2014 08:49 PM

Meet The 2015 Honda Fit

Say hello to the all-new Honda Fit! At this week's NAIAS in Detroit, Honda unveiled the US version of its third generation Fit, which features a more aggressive design, more space, and better fuel economy.

The most immediate difference is of course the design, which features a revamped grille and new headlights up front, larger 16" 5-spoke wheels, and in the back, LED taillights and a chrome tailgate garnish. The car's dimensions have also undergone a change and it's now slightly shorter (-1.6") and wider (+0.3") with a longer wheelbase (+1.2"). Inside the vehicle, the changes mean there's more leg room and 52.7 cubic feet of cargo space.

The new Fit also features an entirely new direct-injected 1.5 liter engine that will generate 130-horsepower and 114 lb-ft of torque. Honda is estimating it will result in fuel economy ratings of 33 MPG city/41 MPG highway for a combined 36 MPG.

Honda plans to launch the third-gen Fit this spring with features such as Blutooth connectivity, a multi-angle rearview camera, and an Expanded View Driver's Mirror all standard. No word yet on price, but it's certainly an exciting time to be a Fit fan!

Get to know the new Fit with the below photos and video of the official unveiling. For more information, we've also included Honda's official press release.

What do you think of the third-gen Fit?

Honda Introduces All-New 2015 Fit at North American International Auto Show

Honda unveiled the all-new 2015 Fit at the North American International Auto Show today. Set to go on sale in the U.S. this spring, the new Fit is completely redesigned from the ground up to deliver an unparalleled combination of style, interior space, fun-to-drive performance and fuel efficiency plus leading-edge safety and vehicle connectivity.

"The Honda Fit is a small car with big aspirations. Faster, more fuel-efficient and more fun, it's a subcompact with larger-than-life-capabilities," said John Mendel, executive vice president of automobile sales for American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "It's simply the best Fit to date and, we believe, a new benchmark in the small-car category."

Modern Styling with Class-Leading Packaging

The 2015 Fit debuts with a sleek, modern and sporty exterior style. A more aggressive front fascia showcases a new grille and headlight design. A strong character line runs along the side of the Fit, emphasizing the vehicle's aerodynamic profile. Larger 16-inch tires outfitted with a new 5-spoke wheel design give the Fit a planted and sporty stance. In the back, rear reflectors and LED taillights run along the hatch with a chrome tailgate garnish and rear diffuser, all contributing to the Fit's more substantial and dynamic appearance.

Retaining a similar exterior footprint to the current model, the new Fit is slightly shorter (-1.6 in.) and wider (+0.3 in.) with a longer wheelbase (+1.2 in.), resulting in improved handling and maneuverability. Inside, the Fit builds on its already class-leading interior space, airy cabin and large greenhouse thanks to an all-new efficient platform that incorporates a unique center-mounted fuel-tank layout. The new Fit also delivers a significant increase in passenger volume (+4.9 cu ft) and rear legroom (+4.8 in.) compared to the previous model. With the Honda-exclusive Magic Seat® offering multiple configurable seating positions, the Fit provides an unrivaled 52.7 cubic feet of cargo space when the second row seats are folded flat. With an overall height of 60 inches, the Fit allows for easy loading of items into the rear cargo and ingress/egress for passengers.

Enhanced Interior and Technology Features

The 2015 Fit will deliver above-class interior refinement and features while offering value at every trim level. All 2015 Fit models will be equipped with class-leading standard features including Bluetooth® connectivity, a multi-angle rearview camera, and Expanded View Driver's Mirror. For customers looking for premium features in the subcompact segment, Fit will be available with smart entry with push-button start, heated side mirrors, a moonroof, heated front seats, Honda's exclusive LaneWatch™ display and a 7-inch Display Audio1 touchscreen interface with HondaLink™ smartphone connectivity. Soft touch and premium materials are used throughout and, for the first time, the Fit will be offered with available leather-trimmed seating.

Improved Performance, Efficiency and Safety

The 2015 Fit marks the U.S. debut of an all-new direct-injected 1.5-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine. Generating 130 horsepower2 at 6500 rpm and 114 lb.-ft. of torque2 at 4600 rpm, engine output is increased by 13 horsepower and 8 lb.-ft. compared to the outgoing engine, while reducing weight and improving efficiency. Paired to two new transmissions, a slick-shifting 6-speed manual or a sporty and fuel-efficient Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with available paddle shifters, the Fit powertrain offers superior acceleration and passing performance and is anticipated to have class-leading3 EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 33 city/41 highway/36 combined4 (CVT-equipped models).

Complementing the new powertrain is a revised chassis that provides for improved handling, ride comfort and NVH. A more rigid body, new rear dampers and revised suspension geometry notably enhance the 2015 Fit's ride quality and fun-to-drive handling characteristics.

The 2015 Fit benefits from the most extensive use of ultra-high strength steel in the model's history, providing increased body stiffness while reducing platform (underbody and chassis) weight by 57 pounds versus the outgoing model. Equipped with the next generation of the Honda Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, the Fit is anticipated to earn top safety scores from NHTSA and IIHS, including a NCAP 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score and a TOP SAFETY PICK rating with a GOOD rating in all IIHS test modes, including the rigorous small overlap barrier test.

North America Production

The 2015 Fit will be manufactured for the first time in North America at the new Celaya, Mexico plant. With an annual capacity of 200,000 units, the facility will begin mass production of the 2015 Fit next month, adding production of an all-new small Honda SUV later in the year. With introduction of the new manufacturing facility in Mexico, Honda's North American automobile production facilities will have a total annual capacity of 1.92 million units, and will have the capability to manufacture vehicles in all product segments, from subcompacts to light truck models. With the added production, approximately 98 percent of all Honda-brand vehicles sold in the United States will be sourced from Honda plants in North America.

subieguy83 01-15-2014 12:29 PM

is transmission swapable?

Bama3Dr 01-20-2014 10:49 AM

I think they did a much better job making the transition from the hood to the windshield more seemless and smooth than on the GE8's. The GE8's look like they just took the shorter nose Japanese version and stretched it and it just looks a little goofy from a straight on side view. I have a 2012 Sport and like the way it looks from any other angle, it's just the straight on side view that doesn't work for me.

-Dustin

silverback 01-20-2014 11:33 AM

Let me be the first to open this can of worms:
Many Pro's & Con's about Direct-injected engines.. Because there is no constant flow of gasoline vapors to the intake & especially the valves, carbon & sludge tend to build up over the long run(50K miles and more). VW seems to have the most problems(maybe cuz there's so many of them) and its about $600-$800 USD to 'clean' the valves and intake. This seems to be necessary after about 50-60K miles. Toyota has 'solved' this problem on their D.I. engines by adding another fuel injector to the intake that only works on cold start and idle. Anyone know if Honda uses this approach on the new engines?
Here's a L O N G discussion about GDI:
Ask An Engineer: GDI Problems In A Nutshell | The Truth About Cars

Katsumoto 01-20-2014 11:44 AM

Well looks like we get Yellow that we've all wanted since the GD3's were new.

Oh well I'm stepping away from Honda after my Fit is done or I feel like getting rid of it.

Steve244 01-20-2014 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by silverback (Post 1219965)
Let me be the first to open this can of worms:
Many Pro's & Con's about Direct-injected engines.. Because there is no constant flow of gasoline vapors to the intake & especially the valves, carbon & sludge tend to build up over the long run(50K miles and more). VW seems to have the most problems(maybe cuz there's so many of them) and its about $600-$800 USD to 'clean' the valves and intake. This seems to be necessary after about 50-60K miles. Toyota has 'solved' this problem on their D.I. engines by adding another fuel injector to the intake that only works on cold start and idle. Anyone know if Honda uses this approach on the new engines?
Here's a L O N G discussion about GDI:
Ask An Engineer: GDI Problems In A Nutshell | The Truth About Cars

Honda has been slow to adopt DI, perhaps for the reason you cite.

This 2011 article (although it doesn't reference Honda at all) leads me to think the problems are in the past.

If Ford and GM engineers and Chick are correct, the carbon-buildup problem now may be relegated to previous engine designs that were not well-adapted for DI. But that’s probably little consolation to some early adopters like Boyadjiev, who must add regular carbon cleaning services to their cars’ ongoing maintenance requirements – a cost that, for now at least, they are expected to absorb entirely on their own as they grapple with the “dirty” secret of this emerging technology.

john21031 01-25-2014 03:01 AM

Buildup and questionable long term durability of an injector that is subjected to combustion chamber explosions.

tommycrx 02-03-2014 09:49 AM

OK, before I get too excited - a "moonroof" actually does mean a fully functioning moonroof that opens, tilts, etc., and not a moonroof-sized Magic Sky roof or some fixed monstrosity, correct?

If so, that's very good news. That's what kept me from getting a Fit originally years ago, and may bring me back to the fold after realizing my mistake in getting a Krautmobile previously. :thumbups: Now, if they could just bring back Lunar Mist...

miami 02-03-2014 01:38 PM

Great video showing the new 1.5L engines in action. I love that Honda makes videos like this:

Hannyah 02-03-2014 06:44 PM

I'm in love. I don't know why I love this chassis so much.

miami 02-03-2014 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hannyah (Post 1221785)
I'm in love. I don't know why I love this chassis so much.

I agree! So long as they didn't numb the heck out of the steering/suspension, and the carbon build up issue on the DI engine have been solved... I'm sold! Can't wait to test drive one.

Ideal order would be sport trim, tafetta white, black cloth interior, 6 speed manual, sunroof, and HIDs if they offer it in the states.

carboy 02-09-2014 03:12 PM

Does anyone know if the engines and transmissions will be built in Japan and then car assembled in Mexico?

ALwAyS4SaLe 02-09-2014 09:12 PM

I think I still like the styling of my 2009 Fit SPort.... Any words on Manual with Navigation or even a mugen version?

weave 02-09-2014 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 1222552)
Does anyone know if the engines and transmissions will be built in Japan and then car assembled in Mexico?

I read somewhere that a transmission plant was built next door to the car plant to supply transmissions to there and other plants. No idea about the engine.

Yeah, I have my concerns. Brand new plant, new workers, a country with a big crime/corruption problem.

ncoflin 02-09-2014 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by weave (Post 1222604)
Yeah, I have my concerns. Brand new plant, new workers, a country with a big crime/corruption problem.

Volkswagen has made a lot of their cars for the U.S. market in Mexico for years if I'm not mistaking. I'm not too worried about a new plant. I just see it as hopefully getting us better deals for the cars that come from there due to lower export costs.

tommycrx 02-10-2014 10:14 AM

There have been maquiladoras making various electronics for years now down in Mexico. The Japanese company I work for has had no real problems, honestly. You've seen too many movies.

If you want a big crime/corruption problem, come to Jersey. :wiggle:

I'll be happy to see the lack of "we'd let you test drive a manual Fit if we had one in stock" BS with the new gen due to this new factory. Maybe even more than one in stock in a couple of dealerships, too.

weave 02-10-2014 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by tommycrx (Post 1222668)
You've seen too many movies.

I've been to Mexico many times, and far from tourist areas. Like Merida. Beautiful city, beautiful friendly people. But the country is really poor and there IS a lot of corruption. Seeing the police ride around in pickups with 4 guys sitting in the bed with machine guns doesn't make one feel really good about the situation there.

Of course good paying honest jobs in places like auto plants is going to help a lot, so I'm all for that aspect of it -- as long as my Fit is made well! :)

tommycrx 02-10-2014 02:05 PM

Yeah, I visited our plant in Rosarito (outside Tiajuana) two Novembers ago, a year after visiting the sales office in Mexico City. Neither place my favorite (why can't we have an office in Puerto Vallarta, for example??), honestly.

I'm sure Honda will have it at acceptable tolerances quickly. If Mercedes can get a factory to produce MLs into shape in a couple of years (first two years of that first gen were absolutely horrible) in Alabama, I'm hoping Honda can do it a little quicker with a better educated workforce. :D

Marrk 02-11-2014 12:44 PM

Improved Performance, Efficiency and Safety

The 2015 Fit benefits from the most extensive use of ultra-high strength steel in the model's history, providing increased body stiffness while reducing platform (underbody and chassis) weight by 57 pounds versus the outgoing model. Equipped with the next generation of the Honda Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, the Fit is anticipated to earn top safety scores from NHTSA and IIHS, including a NCAP 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score and a TOP SAFETY PICK rating with a GOOD rating in all IIHS test modes, including the rigorous small overlap barrier test.

Are you guys reading this as 57 lbs. reduction in platform weight or 57 lbs. reduction in total vehicle weight? In other words, what is the total vehicle weight of the 2015 Honda Fit with manual transmission?

tommycrx 02-11-2014 01:16 PM

I'm reading it as the platform as they described it in the parentheses. And since they phrased it like that, I can only guess that it means that the entire car would not be lighter - otherwise, they would have boasted about that instead (pure conjecture!).

The MT article below attributes the full 57 pound weight loss to the overall weight:
2015 Honda Fit First Look - Motor Trend

C&D addressses the weight fully here:
2015 Honda Fit Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver

I'm with C&D's view until there's something official from Honda.