Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   MODS/ACCESSORIES for the GK (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/82755-mods-accessories-gk.html)

tbFit 02-05-2015 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1290868)
...How does that footrest attach? The pictures on ebay look like it has holes for screws.

GOOD NEWS: That footrest is available separately for $16.00, with free shipping. ...

4 screws. I used a very small pilot hole drilled first through the plate after visually centering/aligning. Glad you found a less $ way to get it! :)

Fitster C. 02-05-2015 10:24 AM

Looking good ROTTBOY; my dealership version mats have sort of a 'dingy' look, and less mass than anticipated, which causes them to shift around a bit more than previous oem mats in my '08 Fit (r.i.p.). But, your beach proximity seems to place a somewhat greater demand on service, so I'll probably put up with my current avatar for a while. Your pics will definitely target my search for future replacements, especially regarding the form fit and high edges.

COMMENT: Thanks. IMO, the OEM rubber mats do a great job and look better. Also find the OEM's rubber compound has a stickier grip. However, being the anal person that I am, just wanted a better solution to prevent unwanted debris from overspilling. In my previous GD, got a used set of Husky's from Craigslist when the car went to our niece. It did such a good job in keeping the carpets clean, finally decided to order them (last Dec.) for the GK when I found out they were available.:)
For those who are taking new delivery of their GK's, OEM mats are around $100 for a set of F&R. I'd strongly recommend they consider spending less than $20 more ($118.96) for these Husky's. Am speaking from experience cause I do have BOTH!
Had a set of WeatherTechs in our previous '07 FJ. Like the material of the Husky's better (slightly thicker and stay in place better). - rttby

GoBucky 02-05-2015 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fitster C. (Post 1290880)
For those who are taking new delivery of their GK's, OEM mats are around $100 for a set of F&R. I'd strongly recommend they consider spending less than $20 more ($118.96) for these Husky's. Am speaking from experience cause I do have BOTH!

Wish I would have read your post 3 weeks ago before ordering the OEM mats. I would have preferred having the higher sides for better coverage.

GotFitB13 02-05-2015 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by GoBucky (Post 1290903)
Wish I would have read your post 3 weeks ago before ordering the OEM mats. I would have preferred having the higher sides for better coverage.

As someone who rarely has passengers, particularly in back, I think the oem mats are decent for the rear. I think they aren't great for the front. They let too much crap in around the sides and the drivers doesn't cover the dead pedal. The passengers doesn't have clips so it was always getting pushed to the front leaving a nice gap under the seat. I just made my own liners to go under the oem front mats with $20 of vinyl from the hardware store.

Fitster C. 02-05-2015 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by GoBucky (Post 1290903)

I'm a credit-hungry sort, but the nod for this useful recommendation goes to ROTTBOY :D

acter 02-05-2015 05:21 PM

Not sure if this should be in the "What did you do to your GK today?" or here, but...

Got my Honda remote starter installed.
Got my Lo-Jack installed.

Parked it in my very very very snowy driveway. Well, the sides of the driveway are quite high -- the snow is mostly gone from the actual place where you DON'T drive.

Started the car a couple of times with the remote -- what LUXURY!!!! So delighted, and feeling blessed.

ROTTBOY 02-05-2015 09:42 PM

Husky WeatherBeater mat update:

A day and a half after using the Husky's gotta amend my first statement regarding the grip on shoe soles. Its pretty darn good. Very evident in wet conditions. Dare I say better than the OEM's. The other feature that pleases me - driver's side mat covers the dead pedal completely.

Originally Posted by acter (Post 1290932)
........Got my Honda remote starter installed......Got my Lo-Jack installed..........

That's great. Now time to post some pics. Gotta share those newly installed toys!!!!!:)

MacStevenXIII 02-06-2015 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ROTTBOY (Post 1290975)
The other feature that pleases me - driver's side mat covers the dead pedal completely.

That's the main reason I bought the Huskys over the OEM. It looks like the Weathertechs extend further up the side than the Huskys but I found the Huskys for $50 cheaper.

More than pleased so far with the Huskys, especially with the mountains of snow we have up here in the Boston area.

SilverEX15 02-06-2015 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MacStevenXIII (Post 1291081)
That's the main reason I bought the Huskys over the OEM. It looks like the Weathertechs extend further up the side than the Huskys but I found the Huskys for $50 cheaper.

More than pleased so far with the Huskys, especially with the mountains of snow we have up here in the Boston area.

The large Husky mat for the rear is outstanding. It goes from door to door and under the front seats.

jhn 02-06-2015 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by robertsmithfromthecure (Post 1290855)
@jhn Those spacers make the car look so much better. I plan on getting a much smaller 10mm-15mm sized ones. Thanks for posting those pics.

I thought about those sizes. 20mm is odd because the spacer nuts are smaller. They have to be or they will protrude beyond the spacer into the wheel. the factory wheels have recesses to clear 25mm but with 20mm the studs might have to be shortened. I'm sure they're safe but it seems weird.

10mm-15mm will likely require longer studs and the spacers will just slide on like the wheels. I didn't look all that hard but if the heat shields are in the way, the rear hubs might require a bit of disassembling to change studs.

I only put them in back. the rear fenders are much wider than the front. now the spacing is pretty close.

It's amazing how much better the car handles with lower, stiffer springs and a wider stance. I expected improvement but not as much as it did. It no longer corners like a granny car.

robertsmithfromthecure 02-07-2015 10:15 AM

Thats a good bit of info, thanks jhn. Maybe I should rethink that then. I, like you, want to bring the rear wheel out closer to flush with the body. I have after market wheels with a +45 offset, but I didnt want to get so involved as to put in longer studs. Maybe I should install the springs first to see. Need to do a bit more research. thanks again

GotFitB13 02-08-2015 12:25 AM

Since it was 40 degrees today I got the Fit washed and applied the two step 5 Star Shine paint protection. It serves at a long term max type product. The surfaces are definitely slick. Hopefully it will last a long time. It looks real shiny now. :)

[http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/...pscd4e3d44.jpg[/URL]

SilverEX15 02-08-2015 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by GotFitB13 (Post 1291319)
Since it was 40 degrees today I got the Fit washed and applied the two step 5 Star Shine paint protection. It serves at a long term max type product. The surfaces are definitely slick. Hopefully it will last a long time. It looks real shiny now. :)

[http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/...pscd4e3d44.jpg[/URL]

I washed mine yesterday at the $2.50 DIY.

GotFitB13 02-08-2015 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1291345)
I washed mine yesterday at the $2.50 DIY.

I went through the touchfree for $6 for a double wash and rinse. I decided since it was somewhat warm out to put the paint protector on. It's supposed to make the body panels real slick to precipitation slides off easily. I have yet to find a good glass product for that. Rain-X and Stoner's are good for rain, but I want something better for icy-mix the make scraping easier or not necessary. Maybe I'll try Sparkle, that's what my dealer uses for their cars and I always thought it worked great while it lasted. Snow slid off real easy with it.

PlaysByEar 02-10-2015 11:46 AM

This is my first post. I bought a new 2015 Fit two weeks ago. The info here helped me decide to get the Husky mats, and I think I made the right choice. I'm in Texas so the weather isn't that bad, but the coverage of these mats will help me keep my vehicle cleaner regardless. I'm going to see how my bicycle fits in the back seat soon. Also, I purchased the OEM cargo liner seperately, and it's arriving today.

Yellowmno 02-10-2015 06:15 PM

Just got my mystic pearl EX last month. Nose mask was the first thing I put on because of all the paint chips my wife's car had the first few years. Husky weatherbeaters are awesome, keeps the sand and dirt all in one place and easy to clean. Just installed bumper appliqué and splash guards this past weekend. Was a pain but easy to do with patience and time. Installed Jtech led pancake lights for dome and cargo and regular jtech led for map and license plate lights.

GotFitB13 02-10-2015 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowmno (Post 1291752)
Just got my mystic pearl EX last month. Nose mask was the first thing I put on because of all the paint chips my wife's car had the first few years. Husky weatherbeaters are awesome, keeps the sand and dirt all in one place and easy to clean. Just installed bumper appliqué and splash guards this past weekend. Was a pain but easy to do with patience and time. Installed Jtech led pancake lights for dome and cargo and regular jtech led for map and license plate lights.

Are the splash guards something that would be easy to mess up? I've seen the instructions and was afraid I might drill in the wrong place. I like the idea of them but haven't been able to decide if it's necessary. I wondered what the MPG drop might be with them too and was hoping maybe rubber flaps might be available. I also kind of think the fenders are low to the ground and stick outside of the wheels that splash is already somewhat minimized. I think I get most spray from having the wheels turned and going in reverse. Do the help prevent road spray from collecting on the hatch?

I've been thinking about the bumper applique, too. Our Subaru had one and it was nice to know it was there for setting things on instead of the pretty painted surface.

I'm super excited that my Dashmat shipped today. :) I'm still waiting for the rowboat from China for my door sill protectors. I saw on eBay that the seller I purchased from is "away from the office" until Feb. 28 and won't be completing orders until then. I'm glad I ordered when I did. Hopefully they will arrive next week, or maybe the following week.

Yellowmno 02-11-2015 02:15 AM

The splash guard hole that you drill is for the clip that holds the bottom of the splash guard to the car so you don't have to worry too much about messing it up. I started off with the small drill bit and kept going til the clip fit snugly. I didn't have a metric drill set so I went till the clip fit snug. I drive in a gravel parking lot at work and noticed less dirt and spray on my car. I'll take note of the rear hatch to see if there is a noticeable difference. The bumper appliqué is great, I hang a car cover off the hatch when I cover it and the bumper applique is doing its job great.

m_x 02-12-2015 10:48 AM

OEM ambient light kit...

Finally got my ambient light kit. I've been pretty psyched for this since I bought the car in August. The install is not difficult, but snaking and zip tying the harness was a little bit of a PITA. I was really careful removing/reinstalling all of the panels and it took maybe an hour and a half.

I got them for $90 (+$18 shipping...) from H and A Accessories. H and A has had some of the best prices I can find for OEM accessories, but they burn you on the shipping costs. I've gotten my all weather mats, window visors and splash guards from there and have had no complaints.

All of the being said, I got the lights installed and the best word I have is "underwhelming." The brightness is right where I wanted it, a subtle glow. But the two sides are different colors!!! Driver side is a nice deep blue glow, like the blue color on the touch screen. The passenger side is very noticeably greener, almost a turquoise color. Not happy with that, not for $110 dollars...

The real rub is that, there are NO returns for installed items, which in this case sucks because they had to installed to notice the defect. I plugged them in before the install to make sure they both lit, but it was during the day and the colors at the light looked the same. It wasn't until night time that the different hues became obvious.

Now, my only recourse is to have it replaced under the 12 month warranty that Honda offers on accessories. Since these are an "electronic item," I need to have the dealer look at it before they can claim the warranty. Sounds fine, except that parts departments near me close by 6pm and it may not be dark enough for them to even see it (speculating but I've been run around by several dealerships and it is never convenient in the slightest).

Just a HUGE hassle now, for something so simple (and so expensive).

Overall, I like the effect of the footwell lights, but I wanted them to match! If you're thinking of buying them, I'd still recommend it, but buyer beware.

MrDucky 02-13-2015 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by GotFitB13 (Post 1291804)
Are the splash guards something that would be easy to mess up? I've seen the instructions and was afraid I might drill in the wrong place. I like the idea of them but haven't been able to decide if it's necessary. I wondered what the MPG drop might be with them too and was hoping maybe rubber flaps might be available. I also kind of think the fenders are low to the ground and stick outside of the wheels that splash is already somewhat minimized. I think I get most spray from having the wheels turned and going in reverse. Do the help prevent road spray from collecting on the hatch?

I've been thinking about the bumper applique, too. Our Subaru had one and it was nice to know it was there for setting things on instead of the pretty painted surface.

I'm super excited that my Dashmat shipped today. :) I'm still waiting for the rowboat from China for my door sill protectors. I saw on eBay that the seller I purchased from is "away from the office" until Feb. 28 and won't be completing orders until then. I'm glad I ordered when I did. Hopefully they will arrive next week, or maybe the following week.

Could you give us your thoughts and a photo of the Dashmat once you have it installed. There are so many companies that make these things and I would like to find out who produces the highest quality in terms of fitment and glare reduction.