3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MODS/ACCESSORIES for the GK

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Nice Pi setup! This really only works when in park, right?

Old 04-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by blinduvula
Nice Pi setup! This really only works when in park, right?
I could turn the DSP (or whatever it is called) error off in the secret menus, so HDMI works while driving.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fizzy99
I could turn the DSP (or whatever it is called) error off in the secret menus, so HDMI works while driving.
Just what's needed, yet more distracted driving. Sheesh

Old 04-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Just what's needed, yet more distracted driving. Sheesh
I said I could. :P
So far I think I have only turned it off to pair phones. Try to do it at a light, but it takes so long to search for a device that you end up getting a green and the driving safety thing kills the whole pair process.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:50 AM
Installed these today. Aries 3D mats in Tan. This color is way too bright in the picture:

Name:  Mats5.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  165.7 KB

This is the actual color:

Name:  Mats1.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  402.2 KB

Old 04-15-2017, 01:12 AM
Question about mods

Hello,
Have any of you thought of using one of these? Smart Auto Electric Tail Gate Lift for Honda VEZEL HRV Control Set Height Avoid Pinch With electric suction-in Trunk Lids & Parts from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
In some video on youtube (
) I made a query, I was told that it was not compatible due to CANbus configurations.
Do you know if this is true or not?
Thank you!

Old 04-28-2017, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farrago
Here's what I have added to my '17 EX, 6mt, Crystal Black Pearl.
1) OEM wheel locks
2) OEM door guards
3) Headlight Armor lenses - fog lights
4) OEM cargo tray
5) OEM rear bumper applique
6) OEM cargo cover
7) Husky floor liners
8) BlackBox dash cam
9) Progress rear sway bar
10) Strut tower brace
11) KN air filter
12) Oregon "Pacific Wonderland" plates

Next Up
1) Clear bra protection on the front
2) Headlight Armor lenses - headlights
3) Leather steering wheel cover

Thinking About
1) Seat covers
2) Shift knob

Can't Wait For
1) 1st oil change (I'm at 1,125 miles; 80% oil life. Purchased the car towards the end of Sept. 2016.))
2) New tires when the OEMs have run their course
Got the Xpel clear bra installed. Headlights and fog lights covered, too. Got to figure out how to sew the steering wheel cover.
Now beginning to think about seat covers.
Mileage is now over 1,500. Averaged 41 mpg on the car's maiden highway voyage.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:57 AM
Other drawings

Originally Posted by axlline
How did you get to that section on the web page? Just wondering if there are more detailedinstructions to be had from the website?
If you go to their website Shop Genuine Honda OEM Parts & Accessories Online - Bernardi Parts they have tech drawings for the OEM products they sell... I tried the link to the PDF minus the PDF doc part but I don;t get a listing of files :-( WHY doesn't Honda give out a shop manual? If I knew this I would have bought another car :-( Still no third party repair manuals either... Argh

Old 05-03-2017, 01:00 AM
Rather use this...

Originally Posted by fizzy99
I have obtained a plug that goes in the back of the Entertainment unit and HDMI now works all the time. Several sellers but not on EBay - found mine on Facebook (in Thailand I think) following a Youtube link. Around $US40 incl postage. Plug and play, no tools req'd.

facebook.com/pg/YStyock

(it wont let me post full links so... add https and www to above_

No need to thank me :-) This guy has a gazillion other gadgets for the Honda 'Mobilio' (Jazz in Au or Fit elsewhere). He only speaks basic English. And he does not take PayPal... but hey.

Last edited by O.N.; 05-03-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by O.N.
If you go to their website Shop Genuine Honda OEM Parts & Accessories Online - Bernardi Parts they have tech drawings for the OEM products they sell... I tried the link to the PDF minus the PDF doc part but I don;t get a listing of files :-( WHY doesn't Honda give out a shop manual? If I knew this I would have bought another car :-( Still no third party repair manuals either... Argh
I don't understand how the availability of a shop manual is so important to DIY types. Sure I'd like to have one just to have one, but I'm no mechanic AND I KNOW IT.

I'm sure that Honda is just CCA (Covering Corporate uh Assets). Some jackleg/shade tree mechanic tries to fix stuff, electronics and all, and FUBARs the car. Tries a warranty claim "Oh I followed ALL the official manual instructions". Lawyers get rich, car is still useless. I doubt that Honda is getting rich(er) on the sales of the sales of paper/electronic service/shop manuals. Most owners aren't willing to pop for them.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
( WHY doesn't Honda give out a shop manual? If I knew this I would have bought another car :-( Still no third party repair manuals either... Argh

They don't give out a manual because most people don't fix their own cars. It would just drive up cost of the car. Go buy another car. you're still not going to get a repair manual with the car. Actually, many manufacturers aren't even including a owners manual anymore. Just a quick startup guide on how to set the clock and things like that is included. They make the owners manual a request item since most don't read it anyway.

Try this new website, it can be quite informative: :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com

Old 05-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Rob H

Try this new website, it can be quite informative: :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com
Yup. that's it for now. Info others have managed to snatch from dealer or what have tried themselves... successfully.

The car will be out of warranty in two months. I am no longer going to pay over-inflated prices (and extras added 'because they are required'') at the dealer service for mediocre work, except for major things that are not worth the trouble.

I want to perform basic maintenance on this car. I want to add some DRL and maybe a dash switch. So i want to know how to remove the dashboard panels. I want to know how to change the brake fluid, engine and gearbox oil, brake pads, brake drums, shock absorbers, window trims, etc. All basic stuff but some guidance will help avoid dramas. I have a Toyota Starlet 97 with 430,000ks on board still going, I maintain it myself. Do you think i'm going to stuff up my car ? Lol.

Most of all I wanted to understand how some features work on the product I have bought. I wanted to see electrical layouts for example, to see how the LED projectors work, auto beam adjustments etc. I am interested in this kind of stuff. I understand most are not and re enthused by a new set of floor mats rather.

At least reasonable internet access to the shop manual would be nice. Right now it costs quite a lot, one cannot save images properly and it's only from US which is different in some aspects.

I had no time to waste asking if other car brands do offer shop manuals nowadays, true. For my Starlet I bought all the manuals from the dealer. They made money out of it. I was happy, they were happy, car is still going 20 years after.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Yup. that's it for now. Info others have managed to snatch from dealer or what have tried themselves... successfully.

The car will be out of warranty in two months. I am no longer going to pay over-inflated prices (and extras added 'because they are required'') at the dealer service for mediocre work, except for major things that are not worth the trouble.

I want to perform basic maintenance on this car. I want to add some DRL and maybe a dash switch. So i want to know how to remove the dashboard panels. I want to know how to change the brake fluid, engine and gearbox oil, brake pads, brake drums, shock absorbers, window trims, etc. All basic stuff but some guidance will help avoid dramas. I have a Toyota Starlet 97 with 430,000ks on board still going, I maintain it myself. Do you think i'm going to stuff up my car ? Lol.

Most of all I wanted to understand how some features work on the product I have bought. I wanted to see electrical layouts for example, to see how the LED projectors work, auto beam adjustments etc. I am interested in this kind of stuff. I understand most are not and re enthused by a new set of floor mats rather.

At least reasonable internet access to the shop manual would be nice. Right now it costs quite a lot, one cannot save images properly and it's only from US which is different in some aspects.

I had no time to waste asking if other car brands do offer shop manuals nowadays, true. For my Starlet I bought all the manuals from the dealer. They made money out of it. I was happy, they were happy, car is still going 20 years after.
If I remember correctly, the Starlet was a very basic Toyota. The softback repair manual would probably be around an inch thick, maybe a little more if it covered several trim levels. I have a Civic repair manual from the same era. Outside of the basic engine displacement, there is no relationship. (ok, 4 wheels/tires, etc.) Electronics? Maybe an AM/FM radio.

Unless you have the skills and special equipment, the days of the owner maintained auto are virtually over.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
If I remember correctly, the Starlet was a very basic Toyota. The softback repair manual would probably be around an inch thick, maybe a little more if it covered several trim levels. I have a Civic repair manual from the same era. Outside of the basic engine displacement, there is no relationship. (ok, 4 wheels/tires, etc.) Electronics? Maybe an AM/FM radio.

Unless you have the skills and special equipment, the days of the owner maintained auto are virtually over.
Basic tasks are the same... and they are not all that advanced - I have a Honda Jazz (Fit) with leather BUT drum brakes!! I'm not talking massing with the electronics here but replacing / fixing simple stuff, finding a place to tap into ACC for accessories, removing trims to run a wire for a dash cam or the like. Replacing pads, drums...(or cleaning drums of dust), spark plugs (where the hell are they on this car?? Coil on wire I suspect? so what) . The Starlet had EFI of course with ECU and also an A/C ECU - replaced one but never messed with their insides. I have three manuals and a supplement. I was able to replace the timing belt 4 times over, fix an oil pump leak (manual told me it was easy to remove), remove repack CV joints, bearings, change shock absorbers and so on. The manual gave me confidence I was not wrecking something plus all the torque settings.

I guess, each (wo)man to (her/)himself . On this one I'll do everything I can myself before running to the dealers - who do minimal work anyway these days. See which car dies first?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:38 AM
Wide tires heads-up

For anyone considering putting wide tires on the the GK: I had 18" wheels put on the dealer on my new car (I liked them on the demo car they had). They looked absolutely awesome but 1) hard ride 2) wife seemed to dent them on a daily basis (they were VERY low profile, 225/35-18 or so) and most importantly 3) on the rear, due to this car's strange camber, the wheels wore out on the inside edge (rotation did not help as I didn't swap the rubber on the rim itself). Dealer said nothing actually when the tires were worn down almost to the reinforcement (I have some scary photos). I only saw them when I got siock of them and got a genuine set of wheels off a wrecker (near new) and changed them over. Talk about going to the dealer for service! They could have burst... So be careful with widths of 225 or the like...looks awesome but will wear out unevenly, you wont see it from outside and one day .. bam...

Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Basic tasks are the same... and they are not all that advanced - I have a Honda Jazz (Fit) with leather BUT drum brakes!! I'm not talking massing with the electronics here but replacing / fixing simple stuff, finding a place to tap into ACC for accessories, removing trims to run a wire for a dash cam or the like. Replacing pads, drums...(or cleaning drums of dust), spark plugs (where the hell are they on this car?? Coil on wire I suspect? so what) . The Starlet had EFI of course with ECU and also an A/C ECU - replaced one but never messed with their insides. I have three manuals and a supplement. I was able to replace the timing belt 4 times over, fix an oil pump leak (manual told me it was easy to remove), remove repack CV joints, bearings, change shock absorbers and so on. The manual gave me confidence I was not wrecking something plus all the torque settings.

I guess, each (wo)man to (her/)himself . On this one I'll do everything I can myself before running to the dealers - who do minimal work anyway these days. See which car dies first?
As you stated, basic tasks are not that advanced. They're also very intuitive or are at least for me. I don't need a manual to show me how to change the transmission fluid, brakes or take most of my car apart. Again you can probably find 98% of what you're looking for on youtube. In regard to torque values, 98% of that is based off the fastener size and fairly universal. Sure, sometimes engineering has a special call out for higher or lower torque for whatever reason but the likelihood that you'll encounter that in routine maintenance is low.

https://www.fastenal.com/en/83/torque-calculator

This past winter my furnace stopped working while I was at work. My wife called me. I was like what do you want me to do about it? I'm at work call someone. Later she called me back to tell me that my non-mechanically inclined 15-year old son fixed it using youtube and my tools.

I don't know how old you are, but I suspect you're in your 60's to 70's? People just don't need or use manuals anymore. Get over it, adapt or stop working on your car.

Last edited by Rob H; 05-04-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member

OTOH, I've known of some cars that existed on minimal care for years and miles. Clint Eastwood quote, "A man should know his limits." or Kenny Rogers, "Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em." I know my mechanical skill level (very low) but I know several very skilled independent mechanics.

While I do not consider myself a Honda fan boy, I believe that Honda isn't freely publishing service manuals out of greed, but for reasons previously mentioned. YMMV.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Rob H
As you stated, basic tasks are not that advanced.

I don't know how old you are, but I suspect you're in your 60's to 70's? People just don't need or use manuals anymore. Get over it, adapt or stop working on your car.
Lol no mate I'm not even 50... Yeah I'm hoping for youtube which didn't exist 20 yrs ago. Eg trans fluid change - found it on youtube. However the Jazz / Fit has two fill points - so this is where the manual wouydl help. Anyway I went to the dealer and talked the spares guy into printing the page for me. There is one top level hole (with a bolt) and a fill hole (with a funny looking rubber plug). I'll do the next change as the car will be out of warranty. Might even do it more often. Eg I change the oil and filter (both genuine Honda) every 5,000k. That's how the Starlet got to 430,000... If you don't want to keep the car, sure, do not bother. Might get to that point when I'm in my 70's who knows :-)

Old 05-05-2017, 10:07 PM
DRLs without cutting wires or messing with fuse box

Someone was asking about a point to hook into to get ACC power. Yes there is a relay but for some reason it does not cut the power immediately and some other strange things may happen. This is the joy with the new cars and especially not having a bloody electrical layout thanks to Honda... anyway.

As many of you may be aware there are DRL harnesses on EBay that use a voltage detector and only turn DRLs on when engine is running and voltage goes over 13V (or so). Some harnesses also take care of switching over combo DRL / turn indicators. I have not yet installed separate DRLs (near the foglights, sold on Ebay again) but I found another option - for now.

The AU spec Jazz (Fit) has a 7440 incandescent bulb for the run indicator front. The turn relay is integrated into the dash (another dumb idea IMHO but hey, cost cutting) so one needs resistors for LEDs.

What I have used is a 'dumb' voltage detector from Ebay (no changeover) and 'smart' changeover LED indicator bulbs (they do the indicator / DRL changeover themselves on sensing voltage on the turn signal circuit)

The bulbs can be found on EBay under "2pc-T20-7440-42-LED-2835-50W-Dual-Color-Switchback-LED-DRL-Turn-Signal-Light-Kit" - this is the brighter better version) and the voltage detector is "Car LED Daytime Running Light Relay Van DRL Control Switch Controller 12V MA945".

NB This detector does NOT switch the DRLs off when the park lights are on, but dioms them to 50% or so (id prefer off, but whatever, they do well as park lights I guess instead of the tiny factory bulbs - changed to silicon LEDS but still tiny).

Installation is easy. No matter if you have the 7440 or the combo 7443(?), the lights come with a rubber plug that pushes in the headlight.

These combo DRL LED bulbs come on after engine is started when the voltage rises. They come off after switching the engine off when the voltage drops. On using the turn signals, they bulbs change over instantly and revert to DRL after 1 sec or so. The bilbs also turn on when the park lights are on, but in a dimmed mode, which is still way brighter than the original park indicators).

Might put up some photos but really you need a movie to see how they work.

I ordered another set of bulbs for the rear. There I have replaced the crappy reverse bulbs (T10 but oversized glass, have a look) with some very bright T10 LEDs "2X High Power T10 912 T15 Bright CREE 6LED 30W 12V Car Backup Light Lamp White". The kit I ordered will go obviously in the turn signal bulb sockets, but the DRL bit will be wired in parallel with the reverse LEDS. So on reversing, the turn LEDs will light up white together with the 'normal' reverse indicators. On indicating, of course they will work as indicators.

Just options for those wanting DRLs and LED turn indicators for front and rear.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by nicco
Having the dealer fit the tinting.
Going to order a set of Mugen visors - 無限 | FIT | フィット | PARTS | AERODYNAMICS for Front Aero Bumper Style
Waiting to see the right body kit to order.
How do you order from here, everything is Japanese?

Quick Reply: MODS/ACCESSORIES for the GK