Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Hondalink Next Generation - Full Carplay? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/82874-hondalink-next-generation-full-carplay.html)

neteng101 06-10-2014 10:46 AM

Hondalink Next Generation - Full Carplay?

It seems to me from all the literature I can read online, Honda isn't doing a full Carplay integration, but forcing people to use the Honda apps only? At least that was the case with the 2014 Civics, and it looks like the 2015 Fit is also stuck with this half implementation?

theindiearmy 06-10-2014 11:05 AM

Carplay wasn't even announced until after HondaLink Next Generation came out. Pioneer is the first with units that have it and those don't ship until this Summer.

You're asking for a feature that isn't even available yet.

tmfit 06-10-2014 11:07 AM

I guess I don't understand what the issue would be with using Honda's app or someone elses? If it achieves what you want, isnt that all that really matters?

neteng101 06-10-2014 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by tmfit (Post 1241978)
I guess I don't understand what the issue would be with using Honda's app or someone elses? If it achieves what you want, isnt that all that really matters?

Carplay will allow other apps beyond what the Honda apps can do - the list of apps will grow with time. The Honda nav app has a cost associated with it too, the Carplay maps are free, and so on. Also you get proper Siri integration with Carplay.

Here's a demo, looks like Hyundai will beat Honda to implementing Carplay...

tmfit 06-10-2014 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by neteng101 (Post 1242004)
Carplay will allow other apps beyond what the Honda apps can do - the list of apps will grow with time. The Honda nav app has a cost associated with it too, the Carplay maps are free, and so on. Also you get proper Siri integration with Carplay.

Here's a demo, looks like Hyundai will beat Honda to implementing Carplay...

Apple CarPlay Demo in 2015 Hyundai Sonata at NY International Auto Show - YouTube

AH, gotcha!

neteng101 06-10-2014 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by tmfit (Post 1242012)
AH, gotcha!

I hope Honda at least offers it via some software upgrade, the basis seems to be in place to allow for Carplay, but since they're on the list of the carmakers that will support Carplay in 2015, I thought it might be on the 2015 Fits. Looks like its probably a year away.

tmfit 06-20-2014 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by neteng101 (Post 1242016)
I hope Honda at least offers it via some software upgrade, the basis seems to be in place to allow for Carplay, but since they're on the list of the carmakers that will support Carplay in 2015, I thought it might be on the 2015 Fits. Looks like its probably a year away.

Well like you say, its probably just a software update. Looks like it would be a nice addition. :nod:

SheepNutz 06-20-2014 11:51 PM

To me, this is the only downside to the 2015 Fit. I'd really like to have CarPlay, and I doubt that Honda will make it available on the 2015 at a later time.

SR45 06-21-2014 10:31 AM

Though I've only had the vehicle for 2 days now, the issue I have with the new Fit is not the car, but the HondaLink touch display. Finding something, touching to get things set or changed, not to mention find within the menu is a hassle, and not as easy as my 2013 civic display. Boy do I miss dials. Next time I will weigh this more on my decision. I can almost bet Honda will make some changes during the mid cycle changes (Hope).

Heard since last February that Honda was going to release some info on CarPlay "Soon" but 4 months later, no word. My guess as well, no CarPlay for the Fit, but maybe the 2016 unless its just a software upgrade.

SheepNutz 06-23-2014 04:38 PM

I asked Honda customer service on Twitter if there was any chance that the 2015 Fit could get an update to CarPlay in the future, and this was their response: "We've not been advised about this possibility, we're very sorry"