Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Fuel Mileage Related Discussions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/82938-fuel-mileage-related-discussions.html)

tmfit 06-14-2014 04:09 PM

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Now that some of us are lucky enough to have gotten our Fit's, it would be a great opportunity to compare and inform others what we are getting in MPG.

Perhaps list the level of Trim and actual mileage and displayed mileage by car computer.

My first tank I got 36.4 actual computer said 37.3 I have the EX-L
AC was used probably 85% of the time

ROTTBOY 06-14-2014 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by tmfit (Post 1242995)
....I got 36.4....I have the EX-L

Tend to believe your calculations as auto mpg computers tend to be a tad optimistic.

That's stellar numbers for a vehicle that's EPA rated 32/38/35 overall, the 36.4 mpg. generated for a few days of driving a vehicle that's not "broken-in". :thumbups::thumbups::thumbups:

Am sure you couldn't resist but gun that pedal just to see what you bought!!!:vtec::vtec::vtec:

tmfit 06-14-2014 05:42 PM

My numbers were 258 miles and 7.09 gallons and that is assuming it was truly topped off when I got it.
I started a fuelly account but when I search for 2015 Fit it doesn't show up even though their help files say once it is created others can use it. :-/ it is also setup under uset tmfit

ReduxInflux 06-15-2014 02:06 AM

i don't know whats up but I've only been doing city driving and i'm only getting like 28 mpg? I'm not riding it hard at all. I'm trying to moderate...hopefully it pans out over time (I've only driven 31 miles for today and last night)

tmfit 06-15-2014 08:13 AM

Give it some more time to adjust, 31 miles isnt much for it to make an accurate calculation.

ReduxInflux 06-15-2014 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by tmfit (Post 1243137)
Give it some more time to adjust, 31 miles isnt much for it to make an accurate calculation.

Word. Joined fuelly too but 2015 Honda Fits not even an option yet :/
Submitted a request to have it added. For now, I have it categorized as 'other'....

curlgurl 06-15-2014 12:18 PM

I've got 320 miles on my fit. I got 39.5 for the first 300, and then it's at 35.something for the city driving we've been doing for the past 2 days. LX Manual trans.

TCroly 06-15-2014 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by curlgurl (Post 1243184)
I've got 320 miles on my fit. I got 39.5 for the first 300, and then it's at 35.something for the city driving we've been doing for the past 2 days. LX Manual trans.

It is going to be interesting to see whether the CVT Fits can challenge the manual transmission cars for best real world fuel economy. For the GD and GE Fits, the manual equipped cars typically beat the automatics in the real world by 3 MPG or more.

The CVT CR-Z is rated at 4 more MPG than the manual, but the real world difference that we calculated on the CRZ Forum was that the CVT was about 0.5MPG better. But the CVT benifits, the hybrid recovery of power better than the manual. So I suspect the manual equipped Fits will still provide the best fuel economy.

Strumbone 06-15-2014 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by curlgurl (Post 1243184)

curlgurl, when you get the chance, please report approximate rpm @ 60 and 70 mph...thanks! ;)

tmfit 06-21-2014 06:12 PM

Second tank of fuel 30.7 mpg, ac used 100% of time and probably 60% in town. Tomorrow I have to make a trip about 65 miles one way almost all highway. I will refill after that trip to try and get some accurate highway mileage.

Interesting thing on using the econ mode, if you are in cruise it takes its time to get up to speed, almost like it is depending on the wind lol

fit2tri 06-21-2014 07:01 PM

Just filled up my 2015 EX-L for the first time. Car calculated 32.1 mpg. My actual was 32.97 mpg. 227.7 miles and 6.906 gal of gas put in Driving was mostly in town, but some freeway driving, about a 70/30 mix? estimating. AC on pretty much all the time, but not blasting. In Econ mode for most of it. CVT. Not using paddle shifters at this time.
:thumbups:

tmfit 06-22-2014 04:53 PM

Well I made a round trip today of 122 miles, 60% at 70mph and the rest at 55. AC on most of trip econ on half of most of trip, refilled when I got back and calculated mileage was 42.2 :thumbups: display showed 42.6

jdhommert 06-23-2014 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by TCroly (Post 1243230)
It is going to be interesting to see whether the CVT Fits can challenge the manual transmission cars for best real world fuel economy. For the GD and GE Fits, the manual equipped cars typically beat the automatics in the real world by 3 MPG or more.

The CVT CR-Z is rated at 4 more MPG than the manual, but the real world difference that we calculated on the CRZ Forum was that the CVT was about 0.5MPG better. But the CVT benifits, the hybrid recovery of power better than the manual. So I suspect the manual equipped Fits will still provide the best fuel economy.

That's intresting. MPG is a huge factor for buying the car. I love manuals but Ive kind of assumed if I get one It'll be a CVT because I reallllllly want remote start (this can be added on some manual cars easily from the right installers) and the mpg looks a little better.

A big factor for me is I keep reading how the manuals are turning 1000-1500 more RPM more than the CVTs. Don't see how in the hell the CVT won't get a decent amount better highway MPG based on that.

Can't wait to see everybody's real world numbers. I've wanted to buy a Cruze Eco manual for a while because they get insane MPG numbers on rural roads and have to drive about 80 to actually get 40-42 which is what they are rated. People get 50+mpg at 50-60mph or so. Crazy.

jdhommert 06-23-2014 02:39 AM

Also I've been super curious about why in the world the EX mpg is lower????!!!?

I know in the past they've used different gearing for EX models...which I guess I get but on a Honda I'd like to be able to buy a better model and still get the best gas mileage possible.

But it's a CVT....so what "gearing" is there to change???

What is different on the EX CVT?

TCroly 06-23-2014 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by jdhommert (Post 1244981)
Also I've been super curious about why in the world the EX mpg is lower????!!!?

I know in the past they've used different gearing for EX models...which I guess I get but on a Honda I'd like to be able to buy a better model and still get the best gas mileage possible.

But it's a CVT....so what "gearing" is there to change???

We do not definitively know exactly what the difference are between the EX and the LX that account for the higher EPA rating. But it is possible, that the CVT is programmed to maintain a lower RPM at a given throttle input. This May result in slower acceleration but possibly better fuel economy. But truly this is only speculation.

What we do know is that the LX CVT weighs 86 pounds less then the LX CVT, it rides on different size tires and it supposedly has some different or additional aero bits underbody, but we have not really seen what these may be.

MyFit15 06-23-2014 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by jdhommert (Post 1244981)

Based on another youtube reviewer, I asked him that similar question and he told me that the CVT automatic comes with paddle shifters while the manuals don't have them obviously. Hypothetically speaking, if you just avoid using the paddle shifters, you should achieve the same fuel economy as the LX model of 33/41 assuming if the information is accurate.

jdhommert 06-23-2014 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by TCroly (Post 1244983)
We do not definitively know exactly what the difference are between the EX and the LX that account for the higher EPA rating. But it is possible, that the CVT is programmed to maintain a lower RPM at a given throttle input. This May result in slower acceleration but possibly better fuel economy. But truly this is only speculation.

What we do know is that the LX CVT weighs 86 pounds less then the LX CVT, it rides on different size tires and it supposedly has some different or additional aero bits underbody, but we have not really seen what these may be.

I just read about the underbody bits....I bet thats a good couple mpg there. My buddy has a 1st gen insight and his panels got knocked off and he lost a few mpg at least I think.

Might make a dealer throw those panels in if I buy a new one :D

fit2tri 06-25-2014 09:14 PM

Topped mine off today. 131 miles, 3.554 gallons. Calculates out to 36.9 mpg. Car computer said 37.6. All in town driving, but some on freeways. A/C on almost all the time. Econ mode on most of the time. :)

Jthos 06-28-2014 04:36 PM

Put about sixty miles on my car since I got it yesterday and onboard readout is saying 35.9 for mostly in town driving and a few back roads, AC on about a third of the time. Ave seems to go up after every time I drive it so not sure I have logged enough miles to get an accurate reading. EX 6MT btw

Raziaar 06-28-2014 04:46 PM

I think fuel mileage is going to be different for me. I co-own the car with my bro, and we're big guys... around 800 pounds combined so we're right near the vehicle weight limit just the two of us.

Going to drop the mpg quite a bit.

Will need to fuel up the vehicle and get a good estimate on a full tank now that we're no longer doing this to the dealer to drop off vehicle and back stuff. We'll get actual measurements for our daily commuting and see how it stacks up.

It's also a matter of retraining ourselves to not be leadfooted and kind of adapt to try to squeeze out as much as possible.