Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Auto door unlock? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/83190-auto-door-unlock.html)

chrisjones 06-27-2014 11:53 AM

Auto door unlock?

I'm wondering if my memory is shoddy or accurate...

Seems that when I first bought my 2015 Fit EX, that all of the doors automatically unlocked whenever I opened the driver's door. That is, all doors are locked, I approach while having the remote unlock dongle-thing in my pocket, put my hand in the door handle, it senses this and unlocks the driver door, and somewhere around that time or as I'm opening the door all of the other doors unlock as well. At least, I'm *thinking* it did this. And this is the behavior I'd like, so that my passengers don't stand around waiting for me to reach for the door unlock button.

But at some point (again, if my memory hasn't gone south) I believe the other doors DID start failing to unlock when I open my door this way. I've gotten out the manual and followed the process for setting the other doors to unlock when the driver door unlocks (which is supposed to be the default anyway), and it hasn't changed anything about this. I open mine from the outside and the others remain locked.

So -- am I remembering incorrectly, and this is just how it works and has always worked, or has something gone wrong for which there is some fix that I can do or that I need to take it to the dealer to handle?

tmfit 06-27-2014 11:59 AM

I think if you open the passenger door first it unlocks all the doors. If you walk up to the drivers door I think it just unlocks it as a safety deal. Not sure if that can be changed or not.

amy_wilhelmina 06-27-2014 12:51 PM

The default should be driver side unlocks only driver, passenger side unlocks all. Just ask your passenger to grab their door handle, signal might work. Or you can just grab passenger door and then walk around.

chrisjones 06-27-2014 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina (Post 1245960)
The default should be driver side unlocks only driver, passenger side unlocks all. Just ask your passenger to grab their door handle, signal might work. Or you can just grab passenger door and then walk around.

Thank you for your summary of how this is supposed to work. I'm now thinking it most likely that my memory is out of sync with reality. I believe this is exactly what has happened all along -- and that my memory of all doors unlocking was from the front passenger side door being unlocked/opened rather than the driver side.

amy_wilhelmina 06-27-2014 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by chrisjones (Post 1245970)
Thank you for your summary of how this is supposed to work. I'm now thinking it most likely that my memory is out of sync with reality. I believe this is exactly what has happened all along -- and that my memory of all doors unlocking was from the front passenger side door being unlocked/opened rather than the driver side.

No problem! I'm thinking that as long as the key fob is within the range, either the driver or passenger can open?

Raziaar 06-27-2014 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina (Post 1245972)
No problem! I'm thinking that as long as the key fob is within the range, either the driver or passenger can open?

Each door has its own signal area around the door. If the key is not in that area, the door shouldn't open. Otherwise it would defeat the whole security purpose of the driver's side door.

I too wish I could change the drivers side door to unlock all other doors. It is an inconvenience to have to press the unlock button to open the door behind the driver, where I put my crap in the morning on the way to work.

I would recommend you change the default behavior of when the doors unlock after a drive. By default it is set to unlock all doors when the driver opens his door. Instead, I prefer to unlock all doors as soon as I shift into park. This way as soon as the vehicle is stopped, anybody can get out.

To do that, for keyless, have the vehicle off, in park, with emergency brake on. Press the ignition button once, twice, and then hold down the unlock button for 5 seconds. After you do that, press the engine button again to turn the car off before 20 seconds have passed(immediately basically). You should see the signal flash 3 times.

GeorgeL 06-27-2014 02:31 PM

I'm curious, does the auto unlock work on the rear doors? If it does, you could open the rear drivers-side door first and avoid the walk around.

I really wish that when they put features like this in cars they would make it programmable to the needs of the owner. We don't all live in the inner city with a danger of hoodlums leaping into our cars!

JupiterJoe 06-27-2014 02:50 PM

I believe if you look in the user manual there is a way to reconfigure the door locks and the action taken. It requires you to follow some configuration steps... Hope that helps....

SUNNYboi 06-27-2014 04:00 PM

Why cant it be like other manufactures? Double tap the door button opens all doors.

Sealyin 06-27-2014 05:58 PM

Pages 104 - 106 in the owners manual explains how to program the locks.

Raziaar 06-27-2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sealyin (Post 1246026)
Pages 104 - 106 in the owners manual explains how to program the locks.

Except as mentioned, that only covers the "after driving" unlock options, not the "before drive" options.

AKA you can change how the vehicle unlocks after you've stopped the car, but not what happens just as you're first getting into the car.

At least from what I read, it doesn't mention anything about it.

SheepNutz 06-27-2014 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by SUNNYboi (Post 1246007)
Why cant it be like other manufactures? Double tap the door button opens all doors.

That sounds cool, what brands do that? My wife and parents have Priuses (Prii?) and theirs works exactly the same as the Fit.

ptt 06-27-2014 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by SheepNutz (Post 1246061)
That sounds cool, what brands do that? My wife and parents have Priuses (Prii?) and theirs works exactly the same as the Fit.

I can say for sure that these two models do. :-)
VW Passat 2002
Toyota Sienna 2006

Andrew Briscoe 06-27-2014 10:54 PM

I too wish that I could have it unlock all doors when the drivers door unlocks but that is not an option on the Fit. It is on my Accord. I also like all doors to unlock when putting the car in park and have it set that way. Another feature I miss from my Pilot was unlocking twice and holding down would open all the windows and sunroof.

ptt 06-28-2014 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by SUNNYboi (Post 1246007)

The Fit does that. From the manual (p 93):
■ Unlocking the doors
Press the unlock button.
Once:
- Some exterior lights flash twice, and the driver’s door unlocks.
Twice (within five seconds after the first push):
- The remaining doors and tailgate unlock.

I think the question on this thread is the behavior of the Smart Entry System on the EX, where you don't touch the buttons on the fob.

Raziaar 06-28-2014 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by ptt (Post 1246080)
The Fit does that. From the manual (p 93):
■ Unlocking the doors
Press the unlock button.
Once:
- Some exterior lights flash twice, and the driver’s door unlocks.
Twice (within five seconds after the first push):
- The remaining doors and tailgate unlock.

I think the question on this thread is the behavior of the Smart Entry System on the EX, where you don't touch the buttons on the fob.

I think that you're talking about is the button on the key fob? The button on the door handle is a lock button, not an unlock button.

tmfit 06-28-2014 07:55 AM

Pressing the unlock button twice on key fob unlocks all doors.

Brianflys 06-28-2014 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by tmfit (Post 1246099)
Pressing the unlock button twice on key fob unlocks all doors.

That is true, worked like my 2009 Fit.

Now I keep my keys in my pocket, and I think we are all asking for a way to unlock ALL doors when we first approach the car. I don't. want to dig out the fob when this car has proximity locks. As the driver, I want to unlock all the doors when i unlock the driver's door. That option does not yet exist. Just make the driver unlock work like the passenger door unlock. Easy! :nod:

andre181 06-28-2014 12:37 PM

I too would like to know if its possible to have all doors unlock when I touch the drivers door handle. From the hatch and the passenger door, they all unlock, but at the drivers door, only the drivers door unlocks.

I searched the owners manual and came up empty. :(

SheepNutz 06-28-2014 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by andre181 (Post 1246143)
I too would like to know if its possible to have all doors unlock when I touch the drivers door handle. From the hatch and the passenger door, they all unlock, but at the drivers door, only the drivers door unlocks.

I searched the owners manual and came up empty. :(

I don't think it's possible, sorry.