Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Moonroof seal (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/84297-moonroof-seal.html)

Brian Jones 08-28-2014 02:53 PM

Moonroof seal

I have a concern about my moonroof seal. At the two front corners, the rubber seal does not seat in the same way it does everywhere else. It seats a mm or two below the body and does not ride up and over the metal edge, as elsewhere. Today it rained for the first time since I bought the car, and I dried the roof off and opened the moonroof to check for leaks. There was a small amount of water in the tray immediately below the seal. This may be normal, I don't know. I think the strategy is to stop most the water with the seal and then catch the small amount that gets through and run it through a gutter and into a drain system. My old VW bug used this strategy. Even so, it doesn't seem right to have the rubber seal pushed down at the corners. I would be interested in other driver's experience. I will, of course, call my dealer to check, but I thought it would be useful to ask for other owners' experience. I will post again when I have heard from the dealer.

Brian Jones 09-03-2014 05:02 PM

Me again. I took my EX to the dealer yesterday to have the moonroof seal examined. He was unsure of how the seal should be seated since there were no GK Fits on the lot (they sell too fast). He did not think the uneven seal was a problem. I asked him about the water leaking into the tray during period of moderate intensity rain, and he said that it was entirely normal to have water leak through into the drainage gutters and then exit through the tubes running down the pillars. In short, he said I had no problem. Again I ask, has anyone else had leakage past the seal into the tracks during a normal rain shower? Does anyone else have a mildly uneven line between the rubber seal and the body. My seal stands proud in the rear and along most of the sides and front. It is slightly below the body at the left and right corners, however.

exl500 09-03-2014 06:45 PM

I don't know if it's relevant, but mine sits flush. I've only been in rain (torrential) once, but nothing remarkable to report.

xxryu139xx 09-03-2014 06:47 PM

post pics for comparison

Vanguard 09-03-2014 07:02 PM

Here is a link for a discussion on this same topic:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...of-gasket.html

15BlkPrl 09-03-2014 08:49 PM

Brian I work for a Honda dealership as a service writer and can say that water getting to the sunroof surround is normal. As long as it doesn't get into the cabin it's working as designed.

Brian Jones 09-04-2014 12:10 AM

Pics of moonroof seal

xxryu139x: Apparently I don't have permission to post attachments. I'm new here, so if there's something I'm missing, do let me know. I have some good pics of the seal.
15BlkPrl: Thank you. That's very reassuring. I wonder what happens if one is parked on a steep hill, facing upward. Would the drain system handle that situation, or would it make a pool in the track and potentially overflow?
Vanguard: Thanks. I had looked at that link previously, but I appreciate your mentioning it.
exl500: You can only tell if the seal is allowing water to seep in if you dry off the top of the car after a rain, open the moonroof and look down from the top at the gutters along the perimeter of the moonroof. I have a small amount of water in those gutters after a rain, but none of it gets into the car proper. 15BlkPrl and the service manager at my dealer both say that some seepage into the gutter system is normal. It drains away down the tubes that run down the front posts. That is, the seal doesn't fully seal; it just slows the water down to drips that the gutter system can handle easily.

Brian Jones 09-10-2014 10:55 PM

I have pics but cannot post

I would happily post pictures of my seal for others to compare with their own, but the forum will not let me post attachments. I don't know why. I wrote the moderator asking for permission, but I received no reply. Does anyone know how one obtains permission to post pics?

Nojak 09-11-2014 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Jones (Post 1262874)
I would happily post pictures of my seal for others to compare with their own, but the forum will not let me post attachments. I don't know why. I wrote the moderator asking for permission, but I received no reply. Does anyone know how one obtains permission to post pics?

I have the same problem with pic posting, incl the nonresponsive administrator. When I try to post 'em, I get a msg that says to give a URL....frustrating!

Vanguard 09-11-2014 08:09 AM

I'm not certain, but I think you need to first post your pictures to a picture hosting site, then use that URL to post here (I seem to remember someone saying that in another post).

https://www.flickr.com

Brian Jones 09-11-2014 11:37 PM

Attachments

Below is what the forum FAQ says about attachments. It's clear that I cannot post an attachment because I have not been granted permission. There's even a list of permissions at the bottom of my screen that shows my permissions. It says that I "may not post attachments." I have no "Manage Attachments" button, even though I am using the main 'New Post' page, rather than Quick Reply. So how do I get someone to give me attachment privileges?:hyper:

Here's the FAQ
"How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too."

SheepNutz 09-12-2014 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Brian Jones (Post 1263123)
How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too."

If all you're wanting to attach is pictures, just use this. Upload your pictures to imgur: the simple image sharer and copy the link the picture and use the little yellow "insert image" button to put them in your post, or use the code that you quoted above as such: Attachment 87418

Brian Jones 09-12-2014 11:25 PM

No attach button

SheepNutz, The problem is that I have no "attach" button on my screen, not that I can find. It doesn't show up. This is likely because I do not have privileges to attach anything, as my privileges settings indicate. I have a box labeled "Posting rules" at the bottom of my screen. I have a list of my privileges. It contains the line "You MAY NOT post attachments" [emphasis in the original]. If I have an attach button, I would definitely use it. Thanks anyway.

Mercfh 09-13-2014 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Jones (Post 1263340)
SheepNutz, The problem is that I have no "attach" button on my screen, not that I can find. It doesn't show up. This is likely because I do not have privileges to attach anything, as my privileges settings indicate. I have a box labeled "Posting rules" at the bottom of my screen. I have a list of my privileges. It contains the line "You MAY NOT post attachments" [emphasis in the original]. If I have an attach button, I would definitely use it. Thanks anyway.

Just upload it to imgur.com and post the link here?

Brian Jones 09-13-2014 09:41 PM

Moonroof seal pics (I hope)

I have posted the images to Imgur. I will try what Mercfh suggests.
imgur: the simple image sharer

I hope this works!

Brian Jones 09-13-2014 09:49 PM

Notes on pics

The third and fifth links I posted are the most relevant. In the third one, you can just tell that the seal is below the metal of the body at the front, right corner. The fifth image makes this clearer. The first and fourth images are of the rear of the moonroof window to show how high above the body the seal protrudes in that area. Image two is not very helpful; it shows the left side seal. The seal is above the body line at the rear and falls below the body line at the front.
So, the question is, do others with moonroofs have a similar alignment?

SheepNutz 09-14-2014 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Brian Jones (Post 1263340)

You don't post them as attachment, that's your problem. Quit trying to post as attachments. Click your picture links you posted, then click on the picture (where it fills the screen). We'll take your first pic for example. If you click on your link (imgur: the simple image sharer) and then click on the picture itself, you get this link at the top (ends in .jpg): https://i.imgur.com/Uaoi2DV.jpg. Now you can put [img] https://i.imgur.com/Uaoi2DV.jpg [/img] (but remove the spaces between the brackets and your image link, and it'll post. To make it easier, where you don't have to use those [img] things, click the "Insert Image" button, then post your picture link (https://i.imgur.com/Uaoi2DV.jpg)

Here's the Insert Image button, I've circled it in red:
Attachment 87417

SheepNutz 09-14-2014 08:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
For posterity, your pictures:

Attachment 87412

Attachment 87413

Attachment 87414

Attachment 87415

Attachment 87416

Brian Jones 09-14-2014 11:01 PM

Thanks

Sheepnutz: Thanks for your help--and your patience. Apparently I am completely blind or dopey. I looked through those icons, but I guess I missed that one.
Now that the pics are posted, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if their seal looks similar to mine. I would also like to report that a social media-monitoring Honda rep. has contacted me to ask about the situation. So we'll see what happens.

SheepNutz 09-15-2014 10:16 PM

I just checked my seal, and it isn't the same height all the way around. Most of the way, it's flush with the roof. The driver's side rear sticks up the furthest from the roof, but then that driver's side between the corners sticks down the lowest, where it's below the roof line. I haven't had any leak issues at all.