Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Considering a 15 Fit...coming from a GTI (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/84576-considering-15-fit-coming-gti.html)

fbones24 09-11-2014 03:22 PM

Considering a 15 Fit...coming from a GTI

Hey all. I just found this forum and everyone seems very helpful and informative. I just hit 75,000 miles on my 2010 VW GTI. In the past 6 months I have had to put about $4,000 in repairs into the car. New water pump, window motor, air valve replacements, etc. This is not counting regular maintenance. Ugh. My GTI was great for the first 50,000 miles but as advertised, things have started to "break" and I just don't know if I want to sign on for this anymore.

I initially intended to keep my GTI for 120,000 miles. At this point, that looks to be expensive.

So today I went and test drove the 2015 Fit. I really love the aesthetics of the car and was floored by the interior space. The folding seats and that "relax" feature with the fully reclined driver seat is so cool. The interior design seemed efficient and practical although the responses on the touch screen seemed a little slow compared to my GTI touch screen.

So my concern is the ride. I did not get to take it on the highway but how is the fit at 70+ MPH? Is it super loud and does it feel like it holds the road? I am going to be driving cross country from NY to Montana in December and this is a factor for me buying before or after.

Basically, I'm just looking for honest opinions on the overall Fit experience so far from owners. Has anyone come out of a "hot hatch" into a fit that can share how that transition went? Thank you all!

Mercfh 09-11-2014 03:28 PM

I actually came from a 2014 GTI (3 water pumps and a dealer buyback). Overall the Fit feets very solid, interior quality is good (but you will miss the plaid cloth seats/soft touch material)....but then again this isn't a 25k car.

Car is still fun to drive, Shift knob is lousy but IMO it shifts better than the GTI (It's a bit softer/more forgiving). Obviously Reliability will be better, plus not having to use Premium gas is a nice plus.

I like the Fit a bit more in different ways, it's less worry. (The GTI worried me a lot with things like water pump failures, chain tensioner failures, etc..)

You won't be able to have the speed of the GTI, but honestly this thing is fun to toss around. And has some spunk to it. Engine is kinda loud in general, including on the highway....but not enough to persuade me against it. Plus you'll prolly have the music on anyways.

I suggest you test drive an see!

fbones24 09-11-2014 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mercfh (Post 1263027)
I actually came from a 2014 GTI (3 water pumps and a dealer buyback). Overall the Fit feets very solid, interior quality is good (but you will miss the plaid cloth seats/soft touch material)....but then again this isn't a 25k car.

Car is still fun to drive, Shift knob is lousy but IMO it shifts better than the GTI (It's a bit softer/more forgiving). Obviously Reliability will be better, plus not having to use Premium gas is a nice plus.

I like the Fit a bit more in different ways, it's less worry. (The GTI worried me a lot with things like water pump failures, chain tensioner failures, etc..)

You won't be able to have the speed of the GTI, but honestly this thing is fun to toss around. And has some spunk to it. Engine is kinda loud in general, including on the highway....but not enough to persuade me against it. Plus you'll prolly have the music on anyways.

I suggest you test drive an see!

Thank you for the reply. That makes me feel better about moving towards the fit.

Yeah, I'm at a point in life where I think I have to give up the "fun" factor of the GTI and save on fuel and worry. At 75,000 miles, my GTI definitely worries me.

stembridge 09-11-2014 03:38 PM

Just traded my '13 Beetle Convertible TDi manual for a '15 Fit EX CVT. I had a '00 New Beetle TDI manual for 13 years prior (219K miles when I sold it).

Same deal. After 18 months, the Beetle had already had me in the shop for several non-maintenance related issues, the biggest being the design of the frameless door windows - they have to drop 1/2" to clear the seals when you open the door, but in the winter, they freeze up if any moisture gets inside the outer seal (which happened regularly last winter). Glass won't drop, so you have to force the door open, and then the glass is on the outside of the seals when you close the door - so they don't seal anymore until things thaw out. Dealer can't do anything to fix, and I decided I've had enough of the high maintenance relationship with VW. I'll keep my vintage bugs, but no more modern-era VWs for me.

I've only had my EX two days, so my statistical sample is small. I had planned to get another manual, but the gearing is too low in the Fit - 3100 RPM at 65MPH gets a little to buzzy for my tastes on a long road trip (I do a 16 hour trip to my Dad's several times a year). The CVT is turning a shade over 2000 at 65, and it's reasonably quiet at 65-70, even with the sunroof open.

Got passed by a semi on the way home, and the car got blown around a lot more than the much heavier Beetle would have. I can live with that…

I haven't had opportunity to drive some nice curvy roads yet, but the car is definitely lighter on its feet than the Beetle. My NB, on the other hand, was a blast to drive hard through curves, especially after I rebuilt the complete suspension with upgraded components. The Fit won't touch that.

es

Mercfh 09-11-2014 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by fbones24 (Post 1263031)
Thank you for the reply. That makes me feel better about moving towards the fit.

Yeah, I'm at a point in life where I think I have to give up the "fun" factor of the GTI and save on fuel and worry. At 75,000 miles, my GTI definitely worries me.

The Fit is still fun, that's the thing. I think with some light non-trashy mods could make it even funner.

Myxalplyx 09-11-2014 03:45 PM

I feel you guys pain but honestly, I can't see you being satisfied coming from a GTI to the power-less Fit. Don't forget it's a first year model fit, at a new factory, in Mexico.

Even still, the car just isn't powerful. If you had a 2nd car that you could have fun with yes but the fun factor may be out the window for you. Maybe a WRX/Forester XT or something like that. You will get the reliability, good resale value, AWD (Good for rain/snow...excellent dry traction), some decent fuel mileage and last but not least....POWER.

Don't settle outside for your fun factor. I'm toying with my Fit now trying to pep it up but I have fun in my RAV4 believe it or not. I also have a turbocharged/nitrous Impreza Outback Sport for fun. Don't settle!

BTW: I love my Fit BTW! :D It's a different kind of fun.

fbones24 09-11-2014 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mercfh (Post 1263034)
The Fit is still fun, that's the thing. I think with some light non-trashy mods could make it even funner.

I have never modded a car in my life but for some reason the Fit seems like a cool car to work with.

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx (Post 1263035)
I feel you guys pain but honestly, I can't see you being satisfied coming from a GTI to the power-less Fit. Don't forget it's a first year model fit, at a new factory, in Mexico.

Even still, the car just isn't powerful. If you had a 2nd car that you could have fun with yes but the fun factor may be out the window for you. Maybe a WRX/Forester XT or something like that. You will get the reliability, good resale value, AWD (Good for rain/snow...excellent dry traction), some decent fuel mileage and last but not least....POWER.

Don't settle outside for your fun factor. I'm toying with my Fit now trying to pep it up but I have fun in my RAV4 believe it or not. I also have a turbocharged/nitrous Impreza Outback Sport for fun. Don't settle!

I hear exactly what you're saying, but I got my GTI 5 years ago. I was single. Fastforward 5 years and I'm a father of 2 with more important things on my mind than speed on the roads. It will be hard for me to give up the GTI, but I need a reliable car that gets good mileage that is still quirky and fun. For some reason, the Fit has always caught my eye.

m_x 09-11-2014 04:19 PM

"I need a reliable car that gets good mileage that is still quirky and fun"

From what you've said, you'd love the Fit. It might not have the power or handling of the GTI, but it is definitely a fun little car in it's own ways. The VW interior is all hard plastic also, so it's not going to seems like you stepped down in comfort when you get into the FIt. You also nailed it on Refresh Mode. It's odd how much I find myself hanging out in my own backseat.

My parents both lease VW, a Passat and a Jetta. The Jetta just had it's second A/C compressor put in in 2 years. It's also had the wiper motor fail twice. The Passat has a pretty unsettling whine coming from the transmission, and also had a window motor replaced like 2 months after my dad got it. Both cars have had other problems too. I'm glad they are leased because they are both less than 2 years old and considering the problems they've had, they seem like pieces of crap. The Jetta is actually going back to the dealer as a Lemon and they are supposedly going to give my mom a GTI instead. I'll drive it, and then I'll get into my Fit and thank myself for not buying a VW.

For a road trip like you describe, you will definitely be comfortable in the Fit. I came from a mustang with loud road noise so I can't comment on how loud the Fit is compared to other cars. I don't assume the GTI was super quiet. The road noise and wind will definitely mask the revving engine though. I don't really start hearing engine noise until I'm over 5k.

Vanguard 09-11-2014 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by fbones24 (Post 1263023)
Hey all. I just found this forum and everyone seems very helpful and informative. I just hit 75,000 miles on my 2010 VW GTI. In the past 6 months I have had to put about $4,000 in repairs into the car. New water pump, window motor, air valve replacements, etc. This is not counting regular maintenance. Ugh. My GTI was great for the first 50,000 miles but as advertised, things have started to "break" and I just don't know if I want to sign on for this anymore.

I initially intended to keep my GTI for 120,000 miles. At this point, that looks to be expensive.

So today I went and test drove the 2015 Fit. I really love the aesthetics of the car and was floored by the interior space. The folding seats and that "relax" feature with the fully reclined driver seat is so cool. The interior design seemed efficient and practical although the responses on the touch screen seemed a little slow compared to my GTI touch screen.

So my concern is the ride. I did not get to take it on the highway but how is the fit at 70+ MPH? Is it super loud and does it feel like it holds the road? I am going to be driving cross country from NY to Montana in December and this is a factor for me buying before or after.

Basically, I'm just looking for honest opinions on the overall Fit experience so far from owners. Has anyone come out of a "hot hatch" into a fit that can share how that transition went? Thank you all!

I can tell you that having owned the 2008 Fit, and now having the 2015 model, there is a huge difference in ride. The 2008 would beat me to death on long trips and I could not wait to get out of it once home. It was a good "around town" car, but nothing as fun as the 2015 version. My daughter has the new 2015 Fit, and I am looking at the upcoming Honda HR-V, which is built on the Fit platform, but about 4 inches higher overall (not as much climbing out of and falling into as I experience with the Fit).

Mercfh 09-11-2014 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx (Post 1263035)

I dont think being built in Mexico should cause much of an issue. I mean the parts are sourced from Japan anyways correct? (Engine at least i'd assume)

HondaGeek 09-11-2014 04:56 PM

Fastest car I had was a modded Evo X that I raced against Porsches. While the Evo was fast, it did not put a smile on my face the way my 11 Fit Sport did. All I had on that Fit was a Mugen Short Shifter and Shift Knob, Enkei wheels with Conti DWS tires.

It drove and handled amazing. The funest car I have ever owned and this after owning the following cars:

1989 Nissan 240SX
1997 Nissan 240SX
2002 Ford Ford Focus SVT
2006 Honda Civic Si
2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan
2008 Honda Civic Mugen Si
2008 Evo X
2009 Mazda RX8 R3
2010 Acura TSX 6 Speed
2012 Evo X

Believe it or not, I had more fun with the Fit as a daily driver than any of the cars above.

stembridge 09-11-2014 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mercfh (Post 1263045)
I dont think being built in Mexico should cause much of an issue. I mean the parts are sourced from Japan anyways correct? (Engine at least i'd assume)

My New Beetle was built in Mexico, FWIW. The Beetle is built there as as well. My issues were related to poor design/engineering, not quality control.

es

Vanguard 09-11-2014 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mercfh (Post 1263045)

I agree that the fact it is being built in Mexico should not be a big deal at this point. Having said that, once they start building the engine and CVT transmission in Mexico (at a plant currently under construction next to the current Mexican plant), I would consider waiting a model year (I think I read somewhere that the current transmission and engine are coming from Indonesia).

Mercfh 09-11-2014 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vanguard (Post 1263062)
I agree that the fact it is being built in Mexico should not be a big deal at this point. Having said that, once they start building the engine and CVT transmission in Mexico (at a plant currently under construction next to the current Mexican plant), I would consider waiting a model year (I think I read somewhere that the current transmission and engine are coming from Indonesia).

Really engine from Indonesia? that surprises me. I figured all engines would be mostly built in japan.

But i doubt Honda would skimp on QC.....I mean that is kinda one of their major selling points.

Vanguard 09-11-2014 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mercfh (Post 1263064)
Really engine from Indonesia? that surprises me. I figured all engines would be mostly built in japan.

But i doubt Honda would skimp on QC.....I mean that is kinda one of their major selling points.

I do remember the transmission being built in Indonesia, but could be wrong about the engine. Here is a quote from one of the Honda news releases I could find:

"Located in Celaya, Guanajuato, the US$800 million plant began production less than two years after construction started in early 2012, and will employ 3,200 associates with an annual capacity of 200,000 vehicles and engines when it reaches full production later this year. In addition to the 2015 Honda Fit, the plant will begin production late this year of an all-new compact SUV".

Regarding the new transmission plant, from the same press release:

"Together with the new $470 million transmission plant now under construction at the same site in Celaya, the new auto plant will play a significant role in the region as Honda's North American operations take on increasing responsibilities within global Honda for product development, production and sales activities. The new transmission plant in Celaya is expected to begin production of continuously variable transmissions (CVT) in the second half of 2015, with employment of approximately 1,500 associates.

Can't tell from this if all the engines are being built "today" in Mexico, or will be in the future at the same plant building the cars now. Someone on this forum will know for certain, as there is no lack of information on this site.

Coopdy 09-11-2014 10:46 PM

I traded in my '09 MINI Cooper Clubman S in for the '15 Fit after much thought. I've only had the Fit for a few days but it was the right decision for me. I loved the go-cart handling and the manual transmission of the MINI and yes I have given up some of that for the Fit, but the Fit is a lot more fun to drive than I had anticipated and I like its responsiveness (though I've certainly not been on the track with it).

I built the MINI to all my specs and I liked it for many reasons but I didn't like the maintenance and costly repairs and I worried about keeping the car in the best shape I could for resale. I think it was a case of it owning me more than me owning it and it's a relief to have a fun car that I don't have to worry about so much and can use more freely.

I can always go go-carting if I really need a fix but I am really enjoying the Fit.

ydnality 09-12-2014 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by fbones24 (Post 1263031)

I haven't driven the newest gen fit, but I do have the previous generation (GE8) and I have to say... the steering feel on the fit is way more responsive than the GTI's - especially at higher speeds. I've driven 2 GTI's on trips, and coming from my fit, the steering on the GTI feels numb! That's remarkable considering the price differential and the fact that the fit isn't even meant to be a sports car.

If the newest one is anything like the older fit, then I think you'll be happy. :)

fbones24 09-12-2014 11:05 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this thread. I really think it has helped me come to the conclusion that I will be trading in my GTI for a Fit sooner rather than later. I have to say that I thought I was going to get flamed when I mentioned "GTI" on here but you guys have all been really gracious and informative. The crowd on here seems much more mature than the "GTI forum" Ha!

So thank you again and I am glad to be a part of this online community. :)

BMO 09-12-2014 01:13 PM

I used to have a GTI (didn't go directly from the GTI to the Fit), and I was definitely willing to give up some performance for peace of mind. I loved driving the GTI and I do miss that turbo "snap," but well, I wanted a hatch that I wouldn't have to worry about. I think the Fit is a really great compromise between fun-to-drive and practicality. You get some fun with a ton of interior room and lots of practicality. I miss driving my GTI, but I never miss owning it!

fbones24 09-12-2014 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by BMO (Post 1263219)
I used to have a GTI (didn't go directly from the GTI to the Fit), and I was definitely willing to give up some performance for peace of mind. I loved driving the GTI and I do miss that turbo "snap," but well, I wanted a hatch that I wouldn't have to worry about. I think the Fit is a really great compromise between fun-to-drive and practicality. You get some fun with a ton of interior room and lots of practicality. I miss driving my GTI, but I never miss owning it!

This is a great quote and makes total sense!:thumbups: