3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What brand and grade of gas are you using? 87 or higher?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:59 AM
What brand and grade of gas are you using? 87 or higher?

In the 2015 Fit manual on page 347, it mentions that unleaded gasoline, grade 87 or higher should be used, but also talks about Top Tier detergent gasoline, especially to avoid MMT (manganese-based fuel additives).

1) Which one do you use and why?
2) Do you really notice a difference using 87 vs. 91 or 92 grade?

I was using 87 from Valero on my old Honda, but didn't know if I should consider using a higher grade with detergent additives. Arco, Shell, Chervon?Thanks.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
i ran 93 for the first few tanks while breaking the motor in, with all the engine loading etc required to seat the rings. now, i have settled into using a steady diet of 87. more then a couple thousand miles in, gas mileage is the same as when it was new when using 93. YMMV... literally.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 AM
I use mid grade 89 octane in all my FITs. I notice there is less hesitation and knock/pinging when going up hills.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
I'm up to around 6,000 miles and some change on my car. I've run only 87 in mine so far, though I also have never put anything in it other than top tier brands. Mostly QuikTrip (the only modestly priced top tier brand that I know), but occasionally Texaco, Chevron, Shell, or BP if I need to fill up and I'm not near the QT.

Mine is running fine on 87 so I'm not sure that I'll ever spend the extra on a higher octane.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
87, Top Tier.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
87, Top Tier.
Thanks to all. What brand of top tier are you using? I'm not familiar with the brand names.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Top Tier Gasoline

I use whatever one I run into, but attempt to avoid Exxon because of their politics.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:16 PM
For those using anything higher than 87 on their Honda Fit please at next fill up do the following. Fill using 87 octane. Send me $20 it amounts to the same thing.
Octane rating, in simple terms, determines how fast gas will burn. Your car is set up for 87 octane and the cars ECM bases firing your plugs based on that rate of burn. if you use the wrong octane the rate of burn is not correct and your cr will not use the fuel efficiently.
The car is designed to work on 87 octane. Save your money and use that.
Only difference in the different companies will be the addatives added. Not a huge issue nowadays....

Old 09-22-2014, 01:41 PM
87, Costco.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
87, Top Tier. 160,000 miles no problems.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Shell top tier 87

Old 09-22-2014, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
For those using anything higher than 87 on their Honda Fit please at next fill up do the following. Fill using 87 octane. Send me $20 it amounts to the same thing.
I'm not sure the price difference where you live, but around here it's only about 10-15 cents more per gallon to get the better gas. So you are only talking a buck and change extra for the better gas. Some people view that as worth it.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ex-MA Hole
I'm not sure the price difference where you live, but around here it's only about 10-15 cents more per gallon to get the better gas. So you are only talking a buck and change extra for the better gas. Some people view that as worth it.
Octane rating, in simple terms, determines how fast gas will burn. Your car is set up for 87 octane and the cars ECM bases firing your plugs based on that rate of burn. if you use the wrong octane the rate of burn is not correct and your car will not use the fuel efficiently.
The car is designed to work on 87 octane. Save your money and use that.....
This......

Old 09-22-2014, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Octane rating, in simple terms, determines how fast gas will burn. Your car is set up for 87 octane and the cars ECM bases firing your plugs based on that rate of burn. if you use the wrong octane the rate of burn is not correct and your cr will not use the fuel efficiently.
The car is designed to work on 87 octane. Save your money and use that.
Only difference in the different companies will be the addatives added. Not a huge issue nowadays....
Does the ECM not have a knock sensor to advance or retard timing? I'm pretty sure the manual states at least 87 octane.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
... better gas.
The assumption that higher octane is "better" is dubious.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ex-MA Hole

it is 30cents difference here between 87 and 92/93 octane.

i commute 30k a year, that is ~857 gallons x .30 = $257 saved.

if i was bouncing it off the limited or racing the car, it would easily warrant the excess octane, but it is tuned for 87, so that is what she gets.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Top Tier 87 Octane

i had never heard of top tier gasoline until i came across it in the owners manual. i printed out the list of vendors from the top tier web site to keep in the glove box. i use whichever station is handy when i need gas. my former car was a golf turbo that required 91 octane. i was mildly annoyed every time i had to fill it up. i'm thrilled to be using top tier 87!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Slightly confused by the list.

Exxon is listed but 7-11 is not.

I have a 7-11 that is pumping Exxon 87.

So is this 7-11 Exxon 87 gas Top Tier?

The reason I have been using them is my gas rewards from Tom Thumb allows me to get up to 20 cents off per gallon per fill up.

------------------

Other questions about the list that I had but were answered in the FAQ and may be of interest to others here.

#1 Why is there no date on it. How can I be certain that it is current?

From the FAQ I do see that vendors get a one year license that must be renewed so I guess the vendors currently listed have passed the tests and licensed within the last year.

#2 How often is it updated?

From the FAQ it appears that the list would be updated when a new vendor gets added by passing the requirements or subtracted by not renewing the license.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Top Tier Gasoline

I use whatever one I run into, but attempt to avoid Exxon because of their politics.
Thank you for this list of Top Tier gasoline brands!

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers in the USA:
76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
ARCO
BP
Chevron
Conoco
Costco Wholesale
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Express Convenience Centers
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Road Ranger
Scheirl Oil
Shell
SuperAmerica
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by JN2k108
Does the ECM not have a knock sensor to advance or retard timing?
It is common in modern cars to have a knock sensor. As it relates to octane, knock occurs when the octane is too low for the compression ratio of a given engine.

Originally Posted by JN2k108
I'm pretty sure the manual states at least 87 octane.
True fact see page 347 in the manual.

However, just because you can use the more expensive gasoline does not mean you will derive any benefit. With the Fit you will only be wasting your money. High octane gas is for engines that require it. The Fit does not need it and does not run better with it.

"It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual."

Source: Paying a Premium for High Octane Gasoline? | Consumer Information

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What brand and grade of gas are you using? 87 or higher?