3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

odd smart entry behavior

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:24 PM
BMO
odd smart entry behavior

Just had an odd experience, wondering if it has happened to anyone else (yet).

Got to the car, smart entry unlocked as usual. Tried to start the car, and it didn't start. Didn't even try to start-- but got three long beeps and the start/stop indicator light started flashing. I checked that I was in park and made sure my foot was firmly on the brake (both were true) and tried again. Again, 3 beeps and a flashing light. Engine did not try to click over, radio did not turn on. I was really worried about the car battery, based on the "battery woes" thread, but first decided to try starting it like the smart entry remote battery was dead. Pressed the remote against the start/stop button et voilą, it started!

Note that I have not had ANY issues with smart entry access to the car (up to and including when the car wouldn't start). I have also never seen the "low batt" message on the dash. Also, my keys were on the passenger seat, so definitely close enough! (They're often in the hatch area, which works fine too).

After I got home, I tried a few times to lock/unlock using smart entry, to see if there was any low batt message, and also to start the car normally. All worked fine. I'm thinking this was just some flukey behavior? Either way, it definitely got my blood pressure up for a minute!

Old 09-26-2014, 05:42 PM
That would be my first major concern that the FOB would not work, especially late at night. I would document this and call the dealer via phone and see if they will want you to bring it in. I would also change the darn battery. Its really easy to do. Good luck

Old 09-26-2014, 08:39 PM
m_x
Actually, just yesterday I had a strange thing happen too. I was getting things out of the hatch with the fob in my pocket, I press the rear lock button, and the car won't lock. I walk to the driver door and hit that lock button and nada. I took the fob out of my pocket and hit the driver door lock button again and it worked.

Later I walked to the driver door and it won't unlock now. Took the fob out of my pocket and touched the handle again; it worked. It hasn't happened before or since so idk. It was weird though.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:44 PM
BMO
Originally Posted by m_x
It hasn't happened before or since so idk. It was weird though.
Interesting... solar flares yesterday?

Guess I'm glad to hear neither one of these has been a widespread occurrence.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:16 PM
I've had an issue where the door wont lock with the button on the handle (happened 3 times so far), but would with the button on the fob itself.