Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Random Trigger of Warning Lights (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/86211-random-trigger-warning-lights.html)

esnave09 11-07-2014 02:34 PM

Random Trigger of Warning Lights

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry I keep posting all these random posts on here, but this one is different cuz it's happened twice now. Randomly, my Fit decides to throw on the warning lights for the tire pressure monitor (flashes for 30 seconds-1 minute, then steady), stability/traction control (steady), and the power steering (off for 15 seconds or so after starting, then steady), as well as warn me to "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" in the gauge screen to the right. The car seemed to drive fine both times, so idk why it is doing this, and all the tires have normal pressure.

First time it happened, it was a cooler day (probs about mid-30s), and I was getting gas. I drove the car from home to class, and from class to the gas station, just fine. No warning lights until I turned the car on (no start) to check mileage on the tank (btw, our gas computers are off; anywhere from 1-3 mpg higher than actual). That's when the lights came on and warning message flashed. I was close to the dealer at the time, so I drove there and had them look at it. They were busy, so the service advisor did a battery check and it passed, he saw the warning lights himself, noted it and made an appointment for Monday. As soon as I started the car up to leave, the lights and warning went away, so I cancelled the appointment. That was on Halloween.

Second time it happened was last night. I was working overnight, and I went outside for a little bit and decided to clear my windshield of frost. Turned the car to on (again, no start), and the lights and warning came back. It was cold (probs low-30s), so maybe that has something to do with it? I first saw it at midnight, and then the lights were still on when finally started and left work 6 hours later. Again, seemed to drive fine (except when I started it, steering caused a major power draw and dimmed the lights until it was warmed up), and the lights stayed on until today when I left for class. I stopped to drop some mail for work, shut the car off, restarted it, and the lights were gone. This was of course when I was gonna record what happens, but I did get this picture before I shut it off.
Attachment 13238

Anybody got any ideas? What I'm thinking is until I make an appointment with the dealer, don't use Key On Engine Off unless it's above 40 degrees. When I stopped in, the dealer thought it would be a voltage spike, which almost makes sense, but I tested it last night and I don't have traction control when that happens. I'll have to test it Monday when we get our first snow, but that was what I thought was happening last night.

HondaCustSvc 11-07-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by esnave09 (Post 1276120)
Sorry I keep posting all these random posts on here, but this one is different cuz it's happened twice now. Randomly, my Fit decides to throw on the warning lights for the tire pressure monitor (flashes for 30 seconds-1 minute, then steady), stability/traction control (steady), and the power steering (off for 15 seconds or so after starting, then steady), as well as warn me to "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" in the gauge screen to the right. The car seemed to drive fine both times, so idk why it is doing this, and all the tires have normal pressure.

First time it happened, it was a cooler day (probs about mid-30s), and I was getting gas. I drove the car from home to class, and from class to the gas station, just fine. No warning lights until I turned the car on (no start) to check mileage on the tank (btw, our gas computers are off; anywhere from 1-3 mpg higher than actual). That's when the lights came on and warning message flashed. I was close to the dealer at the time, so I drove there and had them look at it. They were busy, so the service advisor did a battery check and it passed, he saw the warning lights himself, noted it and made an appointment for Monday. As soon as I started the car up to leave, the lights and warning went away, so I cancelled the appointment. That was on Halloween.

Second time it happened was last night. I was working overnight, and I went outside for a little bit and decided to clear my windshield of frost. Turned the car to on (again, no start), and the lights and warning came back. It was cold (probs low-30s), so maybe that has something to do with it? I first saw it at midnight, and then the lights were still on when finally started and left work 6 hours later. Again, seemed to drive fine (except when I started it, steering caused a major power draw and dimmed the lights until it was warmed up), and the lights stayed on until today when I left for class. I stopped to drop some mail for work, shut the car off, restarted it, and the lights were gone. This was of course when I was gonna record what happens, but I did get this picture before I shut it off.
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psrc2sp0rf.jpg

Anybody got any ideas? What I'm thinking is until I make an appointment with the dealer, don't use Key On Engine Off unless it's above 40 degrees. When I stopped in, the dealer thought it would be a voltage spike, which almost makes sense, but I tested it last night and I don't have traction control when that happens. I'll have to test it Monday when we get our first snow, but that was what I thought was happening last night.

Hi esnave09,

Sorry to hear about the warning lights coming on intermittently. This is something we would definitely want to take a look at a Honda dealership. When you are ready to bring the vehicle into the dealership, please private message us so we can assist you regarding the issue.

Thank you,

Jonathan

KLOUNZ 08-31-2016 10:13 PM

My 2015 Fit just started doing the same with the addition of Check Engine light.
Did you get a resolution to your trouble?

ezone 08-31-2016 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by KLOUNZ (Post 1353200)
My 2015 Fit just started doing the same with the addition of Check Engine light.

Still under warranty? Take it to your dealership.

Out of warranty? Figure out the check engine light first.

esnave09 09-01-2016 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by KLOUNZ (Post 1353200)

Mine was because of my HID headlights that I had in at the time. They would cause the car to nearly stall if I didn't turn them on to warm up before starting the car (due to the location of the ballast versus the ECU). The ballast would ignite and send something of a pulse to the ECU causing it to nearly stall the car and trigger those lights.

KLOUNZ 09-01-2016 01:45 PM

I brought the car to the Dealer. High pressure fuel pump is what they diagnosed as the trouble.:(

ezone 09-01-2016 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by KLOUNZ (Post 1353253)
I brought the car to the Dealer. High pressure fuel pump is what they diagnosed as the trouble.:(

How many miles on your car?

KLOUNZ 09-01-2016 02:31 PM

36K miles.

dankoman 09-02-2016 10:22 AM

hi,
i had this same exact problem a few weeks after i got my 2015 fit. it ended up being a bad alternator, not outputting enough to charge the battery. the resulting low voltage in the electrical system caused all the computers to throw warnings (TPMS, power steering, traction control, etc).

they replaced my alternator under warranty. hope this helps!

tssphoto 06-03-2018 06:54 AM

Three warning lights

I have this exact same problem. My 15 Fit EX is at the Honda dealer now, they can't figure it out. First they thought it was the alternator, they replaced it and the lights were out for a week, then came back on. The advisor told me Honda tech line has seen this problem on my year and model (obviously, since I found this post), and nobody has figured it out. If you replaced your alternator also, that probably won't fix it. If anybody out there figures it out, I'd love to know what the problem is.

fujisawa 06-03-2018 07:16 PM

Nice of Honda customer care to reach out on the board. Dealer is what I would recommend for such a large number of things - would take me forever to figure out if those combos are a code, or just really many things all broken :)

timpmeister 06-07-2018 06:27 PM

Random Trigger of Warning LightsThis started happening to me about a month ago. I have a 2015 Fit LX with approximately 48,000 miles on it. And no, I didn't purchase an extended warranty.

As described in the original post, the Check Engine and Traction Control warning lights illuminate steadily at start-up, while the Tire Pressure Monitor System light blinks for 30-60 seconds. About 30 seconds after start-up, the Electronic Power Steering (EPS) warning light illuminates steadily. Here's a picture (sorry about the size of the image):

https://attachment.outlook.live.net/...animation=true

Started by taking it to AutoZone, to read the code generated by the Engine Control Module (ECM). Generated code was "#4 cylinder misfire". Recommended fix: Reset the ECM (I've tried this - it didn't work for very long). I then had them check the electrical/charging system, and they said that the voltage regulator was failing, causing these warning lights to come on. This would require replacing the alternator, ranging from $200 - $500.

Next, I took it to a Honda dealer. They put it on their diagnostic test system, and their diagnosis was that the alternator/battery/charging system was fine, but that the solenoid on the #4 fuel injector was sticking, causing the misfire, and that it would cost $2200 to replace the fuel injectors. When I asked why would a faulty fuel injector cause the TPMS, Traction Control, and EPS lights to come on, I got some lame explanation about how "they're all related thru the Check Engine light, and that's just how Honda does it." As a mechanical engineer, I can hardly believe a story like this, so I continued to challenge the tech, who maintained the explanation. I came to the conclusion that Honda (at least this particular dealer) is pissing in the wind like everyone else, and doesn't really know what is causing this (or how to fix it). Needless to say, I said "no thanks" to their repair offer.

In the meantime, I am continuing to drive the car, despite the warning lights always being on. I will also say that it seems to have disabled the Traction control system, as I noticed hydroplaning during a rainstorm that I have never had a problem with before. I should also mention that I purchased the car in August of 2014, and had an engine failure in Feb 2015. Everything is original from those two dates.

Could it be the ECM itself? No one seems to have checked that possiblilty...

CommanderSlug 06-12-2018 02:30 PM

My dealer replaced my injectors (2015 w/ 17k miles) under warranty (along with part of the fuel line due to product update)... and that fixed the check engine light. I traded the car in at 80k miles 3 years later. Had no problems after the injector replacement. The tsb was released to cover both 2015 and 2016 model years and it was released sometime early in 2015. Honda is well aware. There's updated product numbers for the injectors and fuel line.

$2200 for injector replacement seems a little too steep of a price. Maybe a $1500 would be more reasonable. Parts alone cost around $1000 bucks.

Question now is: what to do?
When my CEL came on along with the other christmas lights, I drove like that for the whole weekend and there were no issues.

As I am discussing in this other thread, it's possible that these misfires are infrequent... so driving as is is the temporary solution. If the injectors really start to fail, then it's possible that your fuel economy will tank and also bad smell out of the exhaust.

Similar situation with a GK 2015 with 130k miles. So far, owner did coil plugs with no success as of yet.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...djustment.html

timpmeister 06-13-2018 01:30 AM

I think the reason for the price for the injector replacement is primarily because a) I was from out-of-town, and b) this was the only Honda dealer in the region. Next closest dealer is at least 30 - 50 miles away. Where I live, there are at least six Honda dealers in the metro area, so pricing is a bit more competitive.

evilchargerfan 06-13-2018 02:44 PM

subscribed, want to hear the resolution

timpmeister 06-28-2018 08:45 AM

Follow-up: Took it to an independent shop, where a good friend of mine works. He suspected that it was the coil for cylinder #4 causing the misfire, but after extensive diagnostic testing, he determined that the dealer was indeed correct - the solenoid for fuel injector was sticking, causing an occasional misfire. He told me that he contacted Honda, and that while this is a known issue with this engine on this model year (first year for this engine design in the first year of a new generation model, in a brand-new facility), there were no recalls pertaining to it. So, I'm on the hook. Not sure if this would be covered under an extended warranty, but I didn't opt for one. And, at 49250 miles, I'm way past the standard 3-year, 36K bumper-to-bumper.

Unfortunately, he told me that Honda doesn't provide individual injectors, just the whole fuel rail/injector assembly, which itself is close to $1K. Ouch. Despite that, his bottom line is $800-$900 less expensive than the dealer estimate that I had.

I'll keep you posted as to whether this really solves the problem, or if it was just throwing money at it.

CommanderSlug 06-28-2018 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by timpmeister (Post 1403877)
...there were no recalls pertaining to it.

Indeed, no recall; just an internal technical service bulletin outlining the problem and possible solution.... which puts the 2015 model year at the dealer's mercy in terms of 'warranty' coverage. I am guessing cars under 3yr old and with bumper to bumper warranty still in effect might get covered.

At least Honda is aware of the problem. You might want to try driving as is for a while and determine if the misfires are causing real problems such as engine dying at idle or power loss and then decide if it's worth dropping the dough on parts.

Luke J Berndl 02-13-2019 05:21 PM

The same thing happend to me in my 2015 they said the code is for my crankshaft positioning sensor but it makes no sense because my car drives just fine and of course I am over my warranty at 83k I am going to try and load test the alternator and see if that may be the problem
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...640f580a6d.jpg

steakfries 05-25-2019 02:56 PM

Weird diagnostic light issue

This has happened twice. The first I'm attributing to a huge pothole I hit. Next time after starting car, all these lights came on at once: Tire Pressure,check engine, power steering, and stability. Tire pressure was the easiest to check, so I did. No issue. Had a buddy clear the tire pressure light, which cleared all the lights. No issues for a couple weeks. Today, I changed my front rotors and pads. No brake lines disconnected, just a simple pad/rotor job. Started up after I finished the second tire, and all those lights returned. The car drives fine, so I'm guessing their all false alarms. Anyone had a similar issue?

steakfries 05-25-2019 03:09 PM

Well, I was lazy and assumed my issue was unique and didn't search the forum. Found the exact issue on a 2015 model that my 2017 is having. Honda has apparently not figured it out yet: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ng-lights.html