Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   What did you do to your GK Fit today? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/87459-what-did-you-do-your-gk-fit-today.html)

robertsmithfromthecure 02-01-2015 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 12503

I had some 16x7 Rota Circuit 10s put on the stock tires and gave her a bath, but now its raining and I cant get anymore pics! Need to pick up some Swift Springs next.

@DannyJ7 I totally agree, I'm thinking of getting the LX tail garnish and installing that in place of my "chrome" one.

@Fitster Oh no, thats awful! I remember reading a very detailed 'How-to' touch up paint in a thread about scraping a rear bumper. Maybe that FitFreaker will chime in and help out. They do sell touch up paint pens I believe and maybe that and some Meguiars' scratch remover could cover it.

@Sam Tsai What an incredible color blue. Great choice for the wheels as well; they look awesome.

Fitster C. 02-01-2015 06:11 PM

Thanks for your comment robertsmithfromthecure, I'm hoping for a great learning opportunity from the voices of experience! Raining here too today, demonstrating decent beads on yesterday's wash/wax (which brought out today's topic of focus, the dings).

Sam Tsai 02-01-2015 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Fitster C. (Post 1290249)
One day last week, while I was traveling at about 35 mph something either flew off the road or out of the sky (lots of air traffic) and I heard a BIG Clunk. I suppose I just repressed the need to take a look, until this morning. :bowdown: :( :ohnoes:

https://i.imgur.com/746BlGD.jpg
Any tips on how best (short of a full paint job, of course) to make these nasty little craters disappear? :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!

That hurts, I would just use factory touch up paint to fill those.
This was my bonnet damage when the car was just few weeks old. Got it fix by smash repair, pull out the dent and respray the whole bonnet.
Attachment 12500

Fitster C. 02-01-2015 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Tsai (Post 1290281)
That hurts, I would just use factory touch up paint to fill those.
This was my bonnet damage when the car was just few weeks old. Got it fix by smash repair, pull out the dent and respray the whole bonnet.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...014_114258.jpg

Thanks for checking in Sam Tsai. I was wondering if just paint would fill the pits since it looks like there are at least two layers involved. Also, re-leveling and blending the surface seems like a potential challenge. Since the original post, I've started wondering whether a local dealer body shop might offer blemish correction at reasonable cost. BTW, you have a custom paint job? That is a glorious blue. I assume your repair left no scar.

Sam Tsai 02-01-2015 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fitster C. (Post 1290291)
Thanks for checking in Sam Tsai. I was wondering if just paint would fill the pits since it looks like there are at least two layers involved. Also, re-leveling and blending the surface seems like a potential challenge. Since the original post, I've started wondering whether a local dealer body shop might offer blemish correction at reasonable cost. BTW, you have a custom paint job? That is a glorious blue. I assume your repair left no scar.

Get a quote from body shop first then decide.
My paint is standard, Australian GK Fit do offer in this colour.
Repair was great, but also cost quite a bit.

Fitster C. 02-01-2015 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Tsai (Post 1290325)
Get a quote from body shop first then decide.
My paint is standard, Australian GK Fit do offer in this colour.
Repair was great, but also cost quite a bit.

Thanks, I hope I don't end up having to choose between a boo-boo and a bundle. Not that it has anything to do with a solution, but considering the depth of the damage and the angle, I really wonder if it was not a nut or bolt dropping off a plane flying into or out of the immediately adjacent airport. :rotfl:

DannyJ7 02-02-2015 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by robertsmithfromthecure (Post 1290261)
@DannyJ7 I totally agree, I'm thinking of getting the LX tail garnish and installing that in place of my "chrome" one.

I thought about that, but decided against it. Cost wasn't reasonable and I actually like the flat black look of the plastidip. Protects the original pieces and only cost a fraction of buying a new piece.

Fitster C. 02-02-2015 04:07 PM

Went Shopping

Took my Fit shopping today for a reasonably-priced blem (paint chip) repair: :confused:

body shop : $275 (hood repaint job), as anticipated; thanks but no thanks :rolleyes:

Visit Obi Wan John, owner at Atlanta Auto Pro (where I go) : either buy a paint pen and fix it, or speak to a parking lot damage touch-up person at a dealership :nod:

Dealership : come Wednesday to speak with the touch-up guru about a paint chip disappearing act, probably around $100. :nod:

We'll talk Wednesday with the guru, and if he/she seems to have more powerful magic than I can get out of a paint pen and the price is OK, that might fly. :yeahthat:Otherwise, I'll buy the paint pen from parts, and wait for a dry, 60+ deg day to extract BMP (best magic possible) out of my paint pen. :yeahthat:

acter 02-03-2015 09:49 AM

Bought it. (-:

Okay, that was Saturday, not today, but with all the snow we've been getting, it might as well be. I did get the all weather floor mats because I was about to get into my brand new car and I had snow and salt and schmutz all over my boots.

ROTTBOY 02-03-2015 11:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
E

Originally Posted by acter (Post 1290527)
Bought it. (-:.......did get the all weather floor mats .......

Both smart actions!!! Buying the Fit, then getting those mats.:thumbups:
Congrats, enjoy the drive.:vtec:

As for the bonnet chips some have experienced, the first one I got on my previous GD was a depressing event. Here a couple of things I did.

Promised myself to find ways to prevent this if I ever got another sub-compact. For all my other cars, have always had "bras" (mostly Colgan's). Got an OEM one ($121 shipped) for the GK but it takes time to put on.

Attachment 12478

After some urging from my niece's BF, went to his buddy who specializes, part-time, on body wraps (using 3M) on exotics. Costed me $160 but looks great while offering protection for the complete bonnet at the same time.

Attachment 12479

Finished product including headlights and side mirrors

Attachment 12480

Will still use the bra, but only when a longer trip is in the cards. :)

Darkshowdo 02-03-2015 12:37 PM

That is a awesome looking badge you have. OEM plus a red back to it. I must know where to get it.

Also for my fit I just bought a Blox shifter can't wait to receive it so I can have some weight to my shifting.
Then hopefully this week give it a good clean, touch up 1 chip I have in the driver passenger door. After that install my ivtec stickers.
Also have 3m door guards to install

Fitster C. 02-03-2015 12:38 PM

Great pics and wrap on your leading edge defenses ROTTBOY. Everything looks great! :nod:

Oh yea, today I fed my Fit some middle octane gasoline, thinking that it would appreciate the "gargle" effect.

Fitster C. 02-03-2015 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Darkshowdo (Post 1290555)
That is a awesome looking badge you have. OEM plus a red back to it. I must know where to get it.

Also for my fit I just bought a Blox shifter can't wait to receive it so I can have some weight to my shifting.
Then hopefully this week give it a good clean, touch up 1 chip I have in the driver passenger door. After that install my ivtec stickers.
Also have 3m door guards to install

Hello Darkshowdo, sounds like you have much up and coming. If you have any tips for touching up that chip, I would appreciate hearing about them. I have one on the hood, and will be on the lookout for same, with paint pen in hand. :wiggle:

ROTTBOY 02-03-2015 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Darkshowdo (Post 1290555)
......... badge......OEM plus a red back to it. .............where to get it. .......bought a Blox shifter......weight to my shifting. .......install my ivtec stickers.....3m door guards to install

The badge is a carbon fibre sticker ($50 for a set - F, R and steering from Japan). IMO, better to get a set of JDM red badges (Ebay or Amazon). They're about the same price.

You're gonna love that Blox. Got the idea from FF guys and it makes the shifting motion more direct due to its solid weight. Another tip I got here is to get a shift knob adaptor (Ebay). It will take some effort to get it installed properly on the shifter boot but definitely worth the end effect look.

Attachment 12477

BTW, don't forget to post pics once all the other stuff are installed.!!!

Originally Posted by Fitster C. (Post 1290556)
........Everything looks great!......fed my Fit some middle octane gasoline........

Fitster C, always appreciate your kind comments. Mucho Thanks!!!!:wavey:

As for the octane, don't worry about using 89. Its what the engine was designed for. The gargle won't do much except cost more. Save the money and let's ALL do something else to our Fits!!!!:lock:

2bits 02-03-2015 05:01 PM

I installed a Torklift Central Ecohitch. Saved $300 in labor but it took me all day. Almost all that time is removing and reinstalling the bumper cover (mud guards made that harder), and cutting the bumper cover. Awesome final result, though I would think twice about doing it again.

REQUEST: Post pics!!! Lotsa GK guys here looking to do the same. Your share would be giving them more "food for thought". - rttby

Fitster C. 02-03-2015 06:47 PM

Ditto for pics

Originally Posted by 2bits (Post 1290594)
I installed a Torklift Central Ecohitch. Saved $300 in labor but it took me all day. Almost all that time is removing and reinstalling the bumper cover (mud guards made that harder), and cutting the bumper cover. Awesome final result, though I would think twice about doing it again.

REQUEST: Post pics!!! Lotsa GK guys here looking to do the same. Your share would be giving them more "food for thought". - rttby

Ditto to the pic request; such a project deserves a tour, and I'd like to know more about what an Ecohitch is! :wiggle:

Fitster C. 02-03-2015 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by acter (Post 1290527)
Bought it. (-:

Okay, that was Saturday, not today, but with all the snow we've been getting, it might as well be. I did get the all weather floor mats because I was about to get into my brand new car and I had snow and salt and schmutz all over my boots.

Passionberry in snow should look great; how about some pics? :wiggle:

acter 02-04-2015 05:38 AM

There are a couple at this link:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...introduce.html

Those were just at the dealer. I will try to get some from the driveway, as long as I can find the car.

Fitster C. 02-04-2015 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by acter (Post 1290692)
There are a couple at this link:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...introduce.html

Those were just at the dealer. I will try to get some from the driveway, as long as I can find the car.

Thanks for the heads-up acter, they look great! And, the entertainment value of additional shots of this relatively rare color pick will not fade as you shoot in different lighting, from different angles, and accent using different backgrounds. :wiggle:

Nikoatnite 02-04-2015 11:24 AM

LOWERED MINE ;))))
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=9637