Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   GD guy test drives a GK...my thoughts. (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/87546-gd-guy-test-drives-gk-my-thoughts.html)

s0x 01-30-2015 03:25 PM

GD guy test drives a GK...my thoughts.

I went to Honda yesterday to test drive a GK and what i found was actually kind of surprising. I chose the fit i wanted to drive which was a basic one in a 5 speed. Being as there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference between body style in the three trim levels other than wheels i figured if i were to buy one i would buy the base and save myself almost 3,000 on the wheels i would probably be getting rid of and the leather interior that i really wouldn't want in the first place. Other than that i really didn't notice MUCH as far as differences go. I got in the car and it felt like a Fit cheapish interior (better than the gd3) lots of head room and cool lighting on the dash. I definitely enjoy the interior of the car for the most part but i did note that the steering wheel on the new fit feels so light and mushy almost like a toy which i didn't like and i noticed that for the manual drivers the gear box has a weird super firm feel to it that i wouldnt really call good in the neutral position and the clutch is sooooooooooooooo soft. On to the drive. i went about 2 miles probably. I gunned it, i drove slow, i dig the little lights in the dash that change color but for me the fit feels almost too sturdy now. Its too much of a car to compare to the old models. Even when i was trying to go fast i felt sluggish. I honestly couldn't notice the added 30 horse power over my GD because the car is so much more substantial in mass that it just seemed boring. Does that mean its bad... no! it means that its so well built these days compared to those that its kind of just a car now. It loses that Go Kart fun from the GD and even the GE because you can't feel every bump. It doesn't feel like you might fall apart after 80 mph and you can't hear the road like crazy lol. Dare i say the car is not dangerous enough lol. I was definitely very impressed with the ride quality, the Quietness and the all around feel of the car with the exception of the steering wheel, gearbox and clutch which will all probably break in over time. Have fun new guys :) enjoy your car. that being said if you're in the market i really don't see a reason to buy the 19k trim level. If you want leather get some clazzios. If you want wheels get some That you like not that every other fit comes with and if you like the fit ones buy them second hand off here that someone else isn't using anymore cuz they got the L package and lastly the basic trim level all the accents are black not chrome and to me this looks way more aggressive and lets cheesy.

Thanks
Tony
ps i didn't proof read.

Wanderer. 01-30-2015 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by s0x (Post 1289907)
Does that mean its bad... no! it means that its so well built these days compared to those that its kind of just a car now. It loses that Go Kart fun from the GD and even the GE because you can't feel every bump. It doesn't feel like you might fall apart after 80 mph and you can't hear the road like crazy lol. Dare i say the car is not dangerous enough lol.

:rotfl:

This is what I figured and it's a natural progression. The GE was "more car" than the GD, and the GK is "more car" than the GE.

I figured the Fit would eventually become Just A Car like a Corolla, or a Civic. A good car, but just another car. Not everyone likes quirky cars, and not everyone likes Just A Car, but far more people like Just A Cars more than do quirky ones, so it makes sense to Honda to follow that progression and increase sales. They buyers spoke, and Honda tried to address the complaints, and in doing so changed the car into...

A hatchback Civic. Kind of.

ROTTBOY 01-30-2015 06:00 PM

I went to Honda yesterday to test drive a GK........

Good for you. :thumbups: A test drive will make one either like or dislike any vehicle. Its a neccesity in making qualified critiques.
I will officially "de-claymore" your current signature!!!

BTW, having owned a '08 GD auto/base since new for 7+ yrs, wish the GK has its steering "feel". Its non-existent on the 2015's.

NotBlake 01-30-2015 09:13 PM

Please consider using paragraphs going forward.

mike410b 01-30-2015 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wanderer. (Post 1289923)
:rotfl:

This is what I figured and it's a natural progression. The GE was "more car" than the GD, and the GK is "more car" than the GE.

I figured the Fit would eventually become Just A Car like a Corolla, or a Civic. A good car, but just another car. Not everyone likes quirky cars, and not everyone likes Just A Car, but far more people like Just A Cars more than do quirky ones, so it makes sense to Honda to follow that progression and increase sales. They buyers spoke, and Honda tried to address the complaints, and in doing so changed the car into...

A hatchback Civic. Kind of.

Truth.

That's why my next car will be an S2000 :thumbups:

This new ND Miata doe :fap:

Originally Posted by ROTTBOY (Post 1289924)
Good for you. :thumbups: A test drive will make one either like or dislike any vehicle. Its a neccesity in making qualified critiques.
I will officially "de-claymore" your current signature!!!

BTW, having owned a '08 GD auto/base since new for 7+ yrs, wish the GK has its steering "feel". Its non-existent on the 2015's.

That's my biggest issue with the GK. I hated the complete lack of steering feel, the lack of clutch/trans feel in my GE is bad enough.

BTW, once you drive a GE, you'll feel like the GD had lackluster feel. Huge step forward in that regard.

ritholtz 01-30-2015 09:44 PM

I went to Honda yesterday to test drive a GK and what i found was actually kind of surprising. I chose the fit i wanted to drive which was a basic one in a 5 speed. Being as there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference between body style in the three trim levels other than wheels i figured if i were to buy one i would buy the base and save myself almost 3,000 on the wheels i would probably be getting rid of and the leather interior that i really wouldn't want in the first place. Other than that i really didn't notice MUCH as far as differences go. I got in the car and it felt like a Fit cheapish interior (better than the gd3) lots of head room and cool lighting on the dash. I definitely enjoy the interior of the car for the most part but i did note that the steering wheel on the new fit feels so light and mushy almost like a toy which i didn't like and i noticed that for the manual drivers the gear box has a weird super firm feel to it that i wouldnt really call good in the neutral position and the clutch is sooooooooooooooo soft. On to the drive. i went about 2 miles probably. I gunned it, i drove slow, i dig the little lights in the dash that change color but for me the fit feels almost too sturdy now. Its too much of a car to compare to the old models. Even when i was trying to go fast i felt sluggish. I honestly couldn't notice the added 30 horse power over my GD because the car is so much more substantial in mass that it just seemed boring. Does that mean its bad... no! it means that its so well built these days compared to those that its kind of just a car now. It loses that Go Kart fun from the GD and even the GE because you can't feel every bump. It doesn't feel like you might fall apart after 80 mph and you can't hear the road like crazy lol. Dare i say the car is not dangerous enough lol. I was definitely very impressed with the ride quality, the Quietness and the all around feel of the car with the exception of the steering wheel, gearbox and clutch which will all probably break in over time. Have fun new guys :) enjoy your car. that being said if you're in the market i really don't see a reason to buy the 19k trim level. If you want leather get some clazzios. If you want wheels get some That you like not that every other fit comes with and if you like the fit ones buy them second hand off here that someone else isn't using anymore cuz they got the L package and lastly the basic trim level all the accents are black not chrome and to me this looks way more aggressive and lets cheesy.

Thanks
Tony
ps i didn't proof read.

I am the only one liking steering feel on 2015? I am not a car guy. But I have this old style steering in my 2010 Accord. It feels very heavy and hard to turn during lower speeds. Some times I feel exhausted when making multiple trips on same road and doing same turns. Higher speeds, it feels very loose. In case of 2015 FIT, it is opposite which I like. It feels light during lower speed turns and tightens up nice once I reach higher speeds. I think, steering feel is the one reason why my Accord feels heavy and Fit feels spirited.

mike410b 01-30-2015 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by ritholtz (Post 1289962)
I am the only one liking steering feel on 2015? I am not a car guy. But I have this old style steering in my 2010 Accord. It feels very heavy and hard to turn during lower speeds. Some times I feel exhausted when making multiple trips on same road and doing same turns. Higher speeds, it feels very loose. In case of 2015 FIT, it is opposite which I like. It feels light during lower speed turns and tightens up nice once I reach higher speeds. I think, steering feel is the one reason why my Accord feels heavy and Fit feels spirited.

The "not a car guy" explains exactly why you like it and we don't.

Light steering makes me feel like I'm driving something that was designed for people who'd rather talk on a cellphone than enjoy the act of driving.

ritholtz 01-30-2015 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1289966)
The "not a car guy" explains exactly why you like it and we don't.

Light steering makes me feel like I'm driving something that was designed for people who'd rather talk on a cellphone than enjoy the act of driving.

I am not a car guy. After taking same city turns for few years with my Accord heavy steering, I am liking light steering feel of Fit.

Bmidd 01-31-2015 12:03 AM

Cool story. Did you make it up or actually drive one? They aren't 5 speed you know.

s0x 01-31-2015 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bmidd (Post 1289980)
Cool story. Did you make it up or actually drive one? They aren't 5 speed you know.

I'm glad you like my story, bro. I did drive one and realize it's a 6 speed (5 speed is generally accepted slang for manual and I wrote it on my phone and didn't proof read which I noted) welcome to the forums. Maybe for your third post you'll make a few more enemies ;). Don't come into my house and shit on my rug.

mike410b 01-31-2015 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by s0x (Post 1289986)
. Don't come into my house and shit on my rug.

It really did pull the room together.

s0x 01-31-2015 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1289987)
It really did pull the room together.

You're out of your element Donny!

A41Billy 01-31-2015 11:06 AM

Nice review Cox. Paragraph much? Kids and their go karts.

andre181 01-31-2015 04:14 PM

As a former GD owner, I agree with everything S0x said.

The GK feels like an entirely different car. It feels a few hundred lbs heavier, its a much more solid car. It really did lose some of that nimble, go-kart-y feel.

I also agree the elect. power steering is way too light. I liked the heft of the GD's steering. But I've driven other cars with much lighter steering so its decent enough balance.

Overall, the GK is more of a "grown up" car. Which works perfectly for me. My GD got me through college and grad school and my first year of employment. Now I have a "real" job making good money. I hate to be that guy, but I wanted something nicer to reflect that. But I didn't want to loose that fun quirky character of the Fit. The EX-L GK was just that. Fun but with enough features that I feel like I'm driving a mini-luxury car.

s0x 01-31-2015 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by A41Billy (Post 1290021)

Dang Billy, That was a sweet play on words with my screen name! Your comment serves no purpose man. Thanks for your input though. Glad you chimed in.

mike410b 01-31-2015 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by A41Billy (Post 1290021)

Ugh, I don't understand why people who don't enjoy cars post on car forums. I don't go around posting on bird feeder forums.

Originally Posted by andre181 (Post 1290077)
As a former GD owner, I agree with everything S0x said.

The GK feels like an entirely different car. It feels a few hundred lbs heavier, its a much more solid car. It really did lose some of that nimble, go-kart-y feel.

I also agree the elect. power steering is way too light. I liked the heft of the GD's steering. But I've driven other cars with much lighter steering so its decent enough balance.

Overall, the GK is more of a "grown up" car. Which works perfectly for me. My GD got me through college and grad school and my first year of employment. Now I have a "real" job making good money. I hate to be that guy, but I wanted something nicer to reflect that. But I didn't want to loose that fun quirky character of the Fit. The EX-L GK was just that. Fun but with enough features that I feel like I'm driving a mini-luxury car.

The day I buy a car to be a grown up is the day I stop living.

ROTTBOY 02-01-2015 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1290109)
................The day I buy a car to be a grown up is the day I stop living.

I for one don't want anyone to "stop living". Being dead is a bummer.

However, part of "growing" is accepting any kind of change. If your consigned to living just a part of life and sticking to it for the millenium, that would be your call, but you'll be left behind, with the majority all adjusting and accepting new things.

Old stuff is good and sentimental but today's technology is just too fast. Broaden the horizon and at least open the mind.

The mere fact that you keep posting on the 3rd Gen thread is a good start. It just shows your curious of what GK owners are "up too".

Do you recall the previous statement you made last year that it would be your last post on the 3rd Gen section? Re-posting back repeatedly since, is a testament that deep down inside, accepting change is somewhere in your inards. Keep them coming!!!!!:yeahthat:

mike410b 02-01-2015 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ROTTBOY (Post 1290185)
To clarrify my previous comment on steering "feel". Its not steering effort (assistance) but actual "road feel". My GD had that in spades, while the GK (at least mine) is devoid of it.

How can I tell??? The day I took delivery, there's a favorite sweeping corner I like to take aggressively on my way home. The GD inspires confidence, the GK does'nt.

The light steering, doesn't bother me. In fact, when the wife drives it (3x's since delivery - all to the mall:mad:), she loves it, as well as the super easy clutch and seemingly short-shifter. Well, after driving an '07 FJ Cruiser 6-speed, most manual sub-compacts, like the Fit, would be effortless for her shopping sprees!!!

I find the GD to be rather lacking in road feel as well, I just found the GK's complete lack of any information through the steering wheel hugely unnerving. If I can't trust a car...I can't drive that car.

Originally Posted by Fitmo (Post 1290184)
Since Honda isn't shipping Hecho en Mexico Fits to Japan, does this word "Fit?"

I would say it does, as the cars manufactured in Mexico are made for Honda USA.

s0x 02-01-2015 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ROTTBOY (Post 1290185)
To clarrify my previous comment on steering "feel". Its not steering effort (assistance) but actual "road feel". My GD had that in spades, while the GK (at least mine) is devoid of it.

How can I tell??? The day I took delivery, there's a favorite sweeping corner I like to take aggressively on my way home. The GD inspires confidence, the GK does'nt.

The light steering, doesn't bother me. In fact, when the wife drives it (3x's since delivery - all to the mall:mad:), she loves it, as well as the super easy clutch and seemingly short-shifter. Well, after driving an '07 FJ Cruiser 6-speed, most manual sub-compacts, like the Fit, would be effortless for her shopping sprees!!!

A huge reason that i like that road feel of the GD is because i work on my own car and it has let me know in the past when something is wrong because of the nuances of how the wheel will shake or the feel of the road through my foot.

Note-ified 02-01-2015 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1290214)
Fuel economy, power and comfort wise? Yes please.

Better to drive than the GK to boot!

And what about that reliability, man they have to have the best in the business ;)