3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Car Wash vs. Rear Wiper

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Car Wash vs. Rear Wiper

So, I pulled out of the carwash yesterday and noticed my rear wiper was sticking straight out. I immediately jumped out to examine it and was relieved to see that there was no damage. Now of course I am concerned about potential future damage. I really like this carwash since it is close to home and has a decent price. My concern may force to me find a touchless wash, which doesn't do as good a job cleaning and normally costs more. Has anyone had damage done to their Fit from a carwash?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Not me. Just got a good car wash a few hours ago and no issues. Than saw this post. This would be my 7th car wash with no damage or issues

Old 03-03-2015, 03:43 PM
I also just washed my FIT for the first time - no issues to speak of. I had to get the salt & brine off of it before damage could set in...in fact, I just read about a place about 20 minutes out of the city that does a steam wash with hand-held steamers. It's said to be great at getting into crevices that salt and ice melt crap can go that regular undercarriage washes can't.

I am considering doing this in a month or so once the snowing stops. For the love of god, PLEASE stop snowing here in Boston!

Last edited by carrier; 03-03-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Do you use a car wash with the spinning brushes? I've noticed the touchless wash that I go to can occasionally tilt the blade and clear the back window funny, but never had it be completely straight out, even during the wash.

Personally, I prefer a touchless wash because it is better at keeping the car scratch-free and a lot cleaner (the drier isn't that great on the back, but otherwise the car gets squeaky clean). I had one experience with a spinning-brush wash and it was horrible. Scratches all over my car (different car), and it wasn't even that clean. I also think that a touchless car wash is better at the undercarriage of the car, although I'm sure some brush car washes will do that.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by esnave09
Personally, I prefer a touchless wash because it is better at keeping the car scratch-free and a lot cleaner
Yes, if you care about your paint, never go to one of these. You are going to have so many spider web scratches from these places.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Soft cloth car wash, weekly or more frequent... No scratches and no issues with the rear wiper (I fold the mirrors in myself just to play it safe). Granted I have a silver car (so I can be less picky, don't want to be a slave to every little imperfection that will happen). Definitely don't go to washes using actual brushes...

The place I go to charges 8 dollars for their basic wash, and 20 monthly for the unlimited pass, plus we have crazy levels of water restrictions during various times of the year.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:02 AM
The car wash I go to charges $5 including tax, so it's very reasonable, but it does use the spinning brushes. This is the 2nd time I've used it, the 1st time I had no issues. I may have to start looking for a touchless wash system that's close by. Can't wait til it warms up so I can hand wash it myself. There are just so many areas on a car that car washes don't get to. I thought about folding the mirrors in too, but I've had no issues with them and I'd be worried that they wouldn't come out as clean.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by carrier
For the love of god, PLEASE stop snowing here in Boston!
Yeah. What you said.

(Where is that steam wash?)

Old 03-04-2015, 01:31 PM
(Where is that steam wash?)[/QUOTE]

It's in Burlington. They do detailing, clear bras, etc. Some stuff is really expensive but the wash and one of the detail packages seem fairly priced.

www.qcarcare.com

They look awesome.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
http://globalnews.ca/video/1860032/new-suv-damaged-in-car-wash/

Old 03-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Unless the quality of Honda paint has improved dramatically recently, I highly recommend sticking with touchless washes or hand washes. Those crappy brush washes will leave micro and even macro scratches everywhere.

I spent a whole two days hand polishing out all the scratches I acquired when I stupidly thought that Honda was still using quality paint... though I have a black car and it shows everything.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Touchless works great in a pinch, but if the car is actually dirty the spray usually doesn't remove enough dirt. Just don't go wiping the car down afterwards

Brushes, should be avoided if at all possible.

Nothing beats the wash at home, but I've had good luck with the soft cloth option and usually if I just dry out the door jambs and vacuum it out, I'm done in about 10 mins any day of the week... I figure if folks with black high end cars use it and their cars look good, it's ok for my silver entry level Honda

Old 03-05-2015, 07:28 AM
That has always been a problem for black cars, just looking at the car wrong will leave a swirl. There's nothing like the look of black when its squeaky clean, but every spec of dust really stands out when its not. If I had black, with all the road salt they dump here, I couldn't keep it clean even if I washed it every day.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:55 PM
You have to admit, the car was clean!

Looks like some part of the car wash mechanism got loose and beat the heck out of the top of the car!

A really good endorsement for a bucket of water, a sponge, and a hose!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
A really good endorsement for a bucket of water, a sponge, and a hose!
Agreed, and next week it's supposed to get into the mid and maybe upper 40's here, warm enough to bring out the aforementioned "bucket, sponge and hose". And with an extra hour of daylight, there should be plenty of time to get it done. Woo Hoo!

Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by carrier
(Where is that steam wash?)

It's in Burlington. They do detailing, clear bras, etc. Some stuff is really expensive but the wash and one of the detail packages seem fairly priced.

www.qcarcare.com
They look awesome.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Last edited by acter; 03-25-2015 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
fortunately, where I live I can wash my car by hand in the driveway most of the year. In the winter I go to the type of car wash where you just spray the car with the hand-held wand. In the winter I'm just concerned with keeping the salt at bay, so I only use the rinse cycle and just rinse the car.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
So, I pulled out of the carwash yesterday and noticed my rear wiper was sticking straight out. I immediately jumped out to examine it and was relieved to see that there was no damage. Now of course I am concerned about potential future damage. I really like this carwash since it is close to home and has a decent price. My concern may force to me find a touchless wash, which doesn't do as good a job cleaning and normally costs more. Has anyone had damage done to their Fit from a carwash?
My favourite car wash near my house is touchless but I noticed my wiper was sticking out the other day when I washed it there. No damage whatsoever. It was kind of like when you just pull the wiper out/off the windshield when you know it's going to snow. It was fine the entire time until the end as I was passing through the "dryer." Maybe I was moving too slowly and the force of the air pushed it out.

I'd also have to agree with the others regarding using a touchless car wash or doing it yourself versus a cloth one. My dad drilled that into my head even before I started driving.

Last edited by kellyjoy; 03-25-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
use painters tape to tape the wiper to the window. when it goes through the wash it wont extend the wiper. once youre out of the wash, take the tape off.
i've been using touchless without brushes for a few weeks, seems to get the job done.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Same happened to me, in a touchless wash no less! It was weird but apparently doesn't do any damage.

Quick Reply: Car Wash vs. Rear Wiper