3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fit Factory Front Bumper Mis-Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
rule of thumb for GK... kinda like german cars.. don't look a it too closely.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
So, what is involved in taking the cover off? Is there some actual hardware somewhere? I'm seeing deformed plastic clips through the large gaps my bumper has produced.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tusk
So, what is involved in taking the cover off? Is there some actual hardware somewhere? I'm seeing deformed plastic clips through the large gaps my bumper has produced.

That is a pretty good tutorial. There are some additional screws down below that are easily visible.

That is how I fixed mine If I had known, they actually have a part that was designed for this. (71173-T5R-A10 https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...3-t5r-a10.html #33) If I'm ever going back in there, then I'll probably order that part.

Mine is better now, but there is still some flex. Probably from having the clips pulled out for 2 years before I finally got in there to fix it.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
My own admittedly cynical view is that these issues are Honda’s passive/aggressive way of saying “you bought our cheapest car, you cheapskate, so you don’t deserve better. If you want quality, you should have ponied up the extra $$$ for an Accord or a CRV.”

Old 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
My own admittedly cynical view is that these issues are Honda’s passive/aggressive way of saying “you bought our cheapest car, you cheapskate, so you don’t deserve better. If you want quality, you should have ponied up the extra $$$ for an Accord or a CRV.”
I recall when I first took it in, the service guy was like all cars do that. I told him my 2004 4Runner wasn't like that and that I should have probably bought another Toyota.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I recall when I first took it in, the service guy was like all cars do that. I told him my 2004 4Runner wasn't like that and that I should have probably bought another Toyota.
Heck, I told them my ‘09 Fit didn’t do that.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't been around a new car for quite a few years. Are plastic fasteners the order of the day nowadays?

Old 12-02-2017, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tusk
I haven't been around a new car for quite a few years. Are plastic fasteners the order of the day nowadays?
Seems that plastic parts are often fastened to metal or to each other with plastic fasteners. Urethane bumper cover. Door panels. Plastic dashboard components.

For example the instrument cluster – typically it consists of speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, any other gauges, and a set of warning lights and several pieces of plastic all snapped together into a unit. It pulls out of the dash as a unit. Its plastic housing has tabs molded into it. There are holes in other parts of the dashboard into which the tabs snap. That is all that holds the cluster in place - except one screw. It is unlikely you will be able to find the screw by looking for it. You have to just know where it is. First you remove the screw, then you use a considerable amount of force to y pry or pull on the cluster to get it out. If you forget to remove the screw before pulling out the cluster, you crack the cluster instead of getting it out intact. If you want to buy a service manual that tells you where the screw is, it costs you about $600 US, or maybe you can find out if you subscribe to an on-line manual for 24 hours, for $24. But there is a strong likelyhood it will take you more than 24 hours of searching in and perusing through the manual before you find what you are looking for.

I wonder of the engineers put in this one hidden screw for no other purpose than to make it difficult for owners to do their own maintenance and repairs, or should an owner decide to tackle the task despite the difficulty, force them to have to buy overpriced replacement parts to replace the parts they broke.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
My bumper did not develop a gap until recently. Bought car June 2015, noticed gap forming around June 2018. My understanding is that there is a fix. You can take the bumper off, and toward the middle between left and right, there is a place you can add a spacer, a piece of dense foam. I am too lazy to remove my bumper now but I've done it before. The car did not come with a spacer, and at the time I removed the bumper there had never been a gap, so the idea of adding a spacer didn't occur to me.

2Rismo2 describes the fix, here.

Last edited by nomenclator; 09-11-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
I am currently at the dealer and they are blaming it on a very minor scrape under bumper. I have a claim in to Honda about it and have sent links to the forum to the claim# email saying I don’t agree with the dealer’s diagnosis. We’ll see what happens.
They are warranting the rear fender liners that are hanging. They said the roof dents are just how the car was made. They don’t bother me but the bumper does. I will keep you all posted when I hear.
D

Old 11-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by mdbrich
So I purchased this car at Honda of Katy. I noticed this bumper issue before buying the car. I asked them to fix it before I took delivery of the car. I am assuming they just pushed it up and or taped it or something. Because the second I got home and looked at it was back to normal.

Fast forward two months and the car went to Round Rock Honda Service because my sun visor kept falling off when turning it to the left. They also looked at the bumper alignment. Kept the car overnight to have a Honda Rep look at it.

They took the bumper off, inspected clips and mounting points, everything looked like normal. Go to put it back on and it just wont line up. They got approval to send my car to a body shop and attempt to clip it into place. However he doesn't even know if they can push it up and fix it.

I went so far because I remember when I bought the car the bumper fix was on paper somewhere. I pulled out all my docs from purchase and its not on the WE OWE, or any other document. I now believe it was on the Sales Quote worksheet which doesn't get filed or saved. Meaning that I don't have documentation I asked to fix it ever before purchasing. It now becomes a who said what battle. So for all you other buyers. DO NOT BUY SOMETHINGS THAT'S BROKE, GO FIND ONE THAT'S NOT! ITS YOUR MONEY DON'T LET THEM SCREW YOU OVER.

Problem #1 - If I even need a new bumper for whatever reason, my car has been or will be modified with new bumper tabs. So any normal OEM bumper will no longer be able to fit without the same modifications.

Problem #2 - If they cant fix it. I was told there is nothing they can do and I am stuck with a misaligned bumper forever just because Honda cant produce products in Mexico with the same standards like they do in Japan. The worst part being I saw it before I bought it. I should have just left and never bought something that wasn't 100%. The dealer has that way of making you feel good when selling you terd.

Dont get me wrong I love this new fit. I bought it outright with no loan, so I planned on keeping it a while. Ive owned tons of Honda's with no trouble at all. Every time I walk past the front of my car this will leave a bitter taste in my mouth associated with that large H emblem I've come to love.

89 Prelude
97 Accord
07 Civic SI
05 S2000
09 Fit
11 CRZ
and now 15 Fit

Onto the Pictures.

I know this is an old thread, I’ve been trying to get the dealership to fix it for a few years. There is a piece of foam missing from the top of the steel bumper. The new 2018 vehicles have the foam. . Seems they don’t have them on the 15. If you go to a body shop and tell them you want 3/4 inch closed cell foam all you have to do is remove the plastic trim piece near your hood latch, you can reach in, lift the bumper with your knee and press the form in. One piece on each side is all you need and it will fix the problem. I’ve had mine repaired for over a year and the foam hasn’t moved. You will not need any adhesive.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MikeyGrz

I know this is an old thread, I’ve been trying to get the dealership to fix it for a few years. There is a piece of foam missing from the top of the steel bumper. The new 2018 vehicles have the foam. . Seems they don’t have them on the 15. If you go to a body shop and tell them you want 3/4 inch closed cell foam all you have to do is remove the plastic trim piece near your hood latch, you can reach in, lift the bumper with your knee and press the form in. One piece on each side is all you need and it will fix the problem. I’ve had mine repaired for over a year and the foam hasn’t moved. You will not need any adhesive.
It would be great to see a photo of where you place the foam. My bumper has a piece of metal in the middle of it that is taller than the rest of it and I reached in, very tight fit, where you said and can only fit a small piece of wood slat in between that and the bumper cover. This did help and made it perfect on one side and almost perfect on the other. Still waiting for Honda to reply but will probably settle for what I did unless it fails.
D

Old 11-10-2018, 12:45 PM

in this spot, on each side of the vehicle. Open the hood and remove the black plastic trim piece that is attached to the grill and intake tube, it’s a tight fit. Reach your hand inside and cut an approximate 6 inch piece of foam and really wedge it in there. Do the same thing on both sides, mines been there for a while and I haven’t had an issue. I plan on taking the bumper off in the summer and doing it across the entire bumper more permanently. It might not be necessary as it hasn’t moved in all this time, and really made a difference. It’s not perfect but it’s a solution. I think it’s garbage that the dealership refuses to do anything about it, they actually implied that I hit something rather than fix it.

Foam here on both sides

Old 11-10-2018, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member

Foam here on both sides
Thanks,
I had some foam and did what you said and where you showed in your pics. It is now near perfect on both sides. Hope the fix holds up. Will try and post pics of each side after fix. I don’t have pics of before but drivers side was almost touching on lower side of gap.

Last edited by first honda; 11-10-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 11-10-2018, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member

Passenger side

Driver’s side

Old 11-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by first honda

Passenger side

Driver’s side
Nice!!! Mine was the same, touching on the bottom. You could physically lift the bumper up and down as if it was loose. As long as you use good foam it’s a permanent fix. Pressure should hold it.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
My front bumper - it took about 3 years but now they have a gap. I don't feel like taking them off again to push it up with a piece of foam in the middle somewhere.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Honda got back and said they are sorry I didn’t like the dealership’s diagnosis and that they are not technical experts. They said ,if I would like, to take it to another dealer to get a second opinion. I am just going to deal with it myself.
From Honda:
Thank you for reaching back out to us with an update. We offer our apologies for your dissatisfaction with the dealership's diagnosis pertaining to the front bumper. Unfortunately, we are not a technical department so we rely on the diagnosis of the skilled technicians at the Honda dealership. If you are disagreeing with the information you've been provided pertaining to the front bumper, we recommend visiting a different Honda dealership for a second opinion. Your feedback has been added to the formal complaint documented on your behalf.

Kind regards,

Honda Automobile Customer Service

Old 11-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by nomenclator
My front bumper - it took about 3 years but now they have a gap. I don't feel like taking them off again to push it up with a piece of foam in the middle somewhere.
You don’t have to takeoff the front bumper to fix it, see the post above I’ve had mine fixed for well over a year with no issue.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by first honda
Honda got back and said they are sorry I didn’t like the dealership’s diagnosis and that they are not technical experts. They said ,if I would like, to take it to another dealer to get a second opinion. I am just going to deal with it myself.
From Honda:
Thank you for reaching back out to us with an update. We offer our apologies for your dissatisfaction with the dealership's diagnosis pertaining to the front bumper. Unfortunately, we are not a technical department so we rely on the diagnosis of the skilled technicians at the Honda dealership. If you are disagreeing with the information you've been provided pertaining to the front bumper, we recommend visiting a different Honda dealership for a second opinion. Your feedback has been added to the formal complaint documented on your behalf.

Kind regards,

Honda Automobile Customer Service
Honda has the worst customer service I have ever experienced, I’m not sure I will purchase another fit after my experience is with the dealership, I have a 2015 EX- My factory aluminum wheels are beginning to corrode in the center, I took it to the dealership to have it fixed and they told me it’s because I didn’t maintain the wheels properly, even though I go through the car wash almost daily in the winter. I contacted Honda customer service and they took down the report and never called me back.. A manufacturer needs to stand behind their products. End of story

Quick Reply: 2015 Fit Factory Front Bumper Mis-Alignment