3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
I also use car ramps but just regular ones, not low profile versions. It looks like that rubber that is hanging down along the front will hit the ramp going up at first but it misses it when you actually go up. With the ramps it still feels like a bit of a tight fit when going under the car. The Fit is definitely lower as compared to my Civic on the same ramps.

Last edited by warnerl; 05-19-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by havnafit
Rolled onto a parking bumper and it loosed the engine protective tray. The front lip/edge of the tray rests on the bumper- unless I push the tray back by hitting something. Then it flaps under the car.
I screwed the tray to the bumper.
I'd like to raise my Fit a bit.

I strongly agree with you, its not changing oil shops not putting the screws back, I bought my Honda with only 2000 mile on it, no chance they changed the oil before, yet the tray was loose, with close look I found scratches from read bumper.
I car is so low to save on gas, high cars cause wind turbines under.

if you can find a way to raise Fit please share it.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Silkenfit
Mine was just half falling off. It was flapping on the ground under my car.

I'm not talking about wheel splash guards, but the thin plastic under the cars engine.

Apparently like half the plastic tabs fell out and it was hanging down and hitting the road.

I did get an oil change at my dealership a couple weeks ago. Would it be from that? Or did half the tabs just fall out on their own?

We zip tied it back on and used a couple screws too. My dealership can't get me in til later this week...will I be ok to wait?

And anyone else have this problem?

I've only had the car 8 months!
I replaced the plastic ones with half inch push pins. Works great.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
I just searched eBay, didn't save the link.. there were numerous vendors selling them, there are 2 diameters and 3 lengths used on the GD near as I can tell.. I don't even try to save them, I just break them and install new ones.. They are available on Aliexpress too, fwiw..
Look in your ebay Purchase History for the item. Then go to that item's page so you can post the link for us.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
100 Pcs Bumper Hood Fender Splash Guard Retainer Clips Fasteners for Honda Acura | eBay

This guy is where I got mine. He has a lot of interesting stuff.

I don't even re-use them for 5 bucks a hundred..

Oh, and at least the ones I got, are ferocious for staying in, basically I punch them through with a screwdriver breaking the head off.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the link!

Old 06-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by ai4px
Hmmm... ordered yesterday from Village Honda, and they questioned 74111-T5A-900 fitting my 2015 fit. It shows for 2016 fit, but I can't figure why it would be different. Anyone know for sure? Trying like crazy to NOT pay for shipping on the whole 74110-T5R-A10.
So did the part 74111-T5A-900 fit the 2015 fit? Mine needs to be replaced.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Bought our '15 used a few weeks back ....apparently previous owner "lost" said guard....no big deal to me, really

Old 06-24-2016, 04:21 AM
I saw in other posts that the loss of the guard may result in electrical issues from water and salt.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
There are 3 sizes of the plastic fasteners in the front end

I think they are two thick ones with a reach of about 5/8 inch and about 3/4inch and a smaller one in the fender liner that attaches the liner to the fender at about the 2 or 10 o'clock position depending on which side your on.

Most of them are the thick ones that reach in about 5/8.

And if you look closely your AC pump is totally in jeopardy of road spray without the guard.. It also get a lot of water on the firewall without it in the rain, especially on the passenger side. The belt takes a lot of wet as well if the guard is gone.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
I seriously doubt it's there for anything other than a slight increase in mpg by streamlining airflow under the car....engines and accessories have gotten splashed for 100 yrs, am sure Honda's modern parts are up to a lil splashing without a need for a plastic shield....salt is not an issue here in east TN

Old 07-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Count me in

Originally Posted by havnafit
Rolled onto a parking bumper and it loosed the engine protective tray. The front lip/edge of the tray rests on the bumper- unless I push the tray back by hitting something. Then it flaps under the car.
I screwed the tray to the bumper.
I'd like to raise my Fit a bit.
I also recently ran up on a forgotten parking bumper/barrier, and the rear edge of the tray ended up dragging within a week or so. A street mechanic removed the tray, and unless I am mistaken, taking it in for a fix with my next oil change (currently at 40%) should do no harm, but I am open to correction/suggestions, and will certainly keep parking bumpers firmly in mind.

Last edited by Fitster C.; 07-06-2016 at 02:34 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-06-2016, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
I seriously doubt it's there for anything other than a slight increase in mpg by streamlining airflow under the car....engines and accessories have gotten splashed for 100 yrs, am sure Honda's modern parts are up to a lil splashing without a need for a plastic shield....salt is not an issue here in east TN
Without the tray the clutch for the AC compressor is taking major spray off the right front tire, in regular rain my belt starts slipping as well without it.. (Oregon) We don't salt roads but we use sand and a deicer spray in winter with leaves a white film on stuff.. When I bought mine the tray was missing and when I sprayed off the engine a bunch of crud washed out form behind the compressor..

Obviously in dry weather its likely a non issue..

Old 08-17-2016, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
I just did an oil change and one of the plastic screws was just spinning when trying to back it out. I had to jam a screw driver under it while I backed it out for it to come out. I don't think it would have fallen off, but I replaced it with a spare I ordered the last time I ordered online. It came in handy. 28k miles and still on there and it has taken some bumps and scratches from the potholes we get in the DC metro area.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Those plastic "screws" aren't really screws. They are expansion fasteners where you push the "screw" straight into the expanding part to spread the end out. The "threads" are just there to make it easier to remove. If you do the normal thing and push inward while unscrewing it will just stay in place, feeling like the thread is stripped. If you push inward with a very light touch it will come right out. Not a fastener for a ham-handed mechanic.

To reinstall, you don't have to screw it in. Just push the "screw" straight in and you are done. You can't get it tight since it isn't made to tighten.

Yes, Honda could have done it better, but it is really just made to facilitate assembly. the push fasteners do the initial positioning for the insertion of the metal screws.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:02 AM
this happened to me after i had my complimentary oil change done at the dealer.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Same thing happened to me. My splash guard came off on the HWY not 10 mins after leaving the dealer from an oil change. They put the front two push pins in and not the other 4 with screws.

Needless to say they bought me a new panel and i put it on myself.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
One day, some day Honda will be forced to adress this issue. I'm starting to think there engineers knew what would happen and frankly put it out anyway to generate income both for the dealership and Honda . Because our Fits do have a low ride height Honda should have known better ..

Old 09-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Bossharp
Because our Fits do have a low ride height Honda should have known better ..
Here, this isn't that much of an issue, I'll help you.

Do not run over stuff.

It's not a tank, it's a car. Buy some hyperopic glasses.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
I had two dealer oil changes thus far on my 2015 FIT, but like everyone else, my access panel (splash guard some people here call it) came crashing down on one side while on the road. It happened approximately 2 months and 3000 miles after the last oil change so I am not sure what caused it?

Heard a loud scraping coming from something outside the car. Thought at first that I ran over a box or something and was dragging it.

Stopped in a shopping center parking lot and looking toward the back of the car from the front, you can see the panel left side on the ground.

Called AAA, who jacked up the car and removed the panel so I could get home.

Next day, brought the panel to my long time Honda dealer. Service advisor said that it's not unusual for the plastic clips to break or come off on these panels.

He ordered a technician to take my car immediately to the service bay and re-install the panel no charge. They fixed it immediately.

I will now be closely watching this panel since it is an issue.

Fortunately, this time I was driving slow and was able to turn into a parking lot space. But if I was on the highway like I was last weekend at 75 MPH going through Death Valley, this would not have been pleasant.

As a side note--AAA guy told me these Honda panels come off all the time--he said Honda never used them on any cars for decades--leave it off. He said it's a Honda thing to put these panels on, but not necessary. That was his thought, although I read here that some people think they protect the electrical system from water?

Thank you to everyone that posted here with a similar panel problem. Sounds like Honda needs to come up with a better way to secure this panel. Something like that should not come off while driving absent severe impact. The panel dislodging could cause it to turn into a projectile on the road, cause underside damage, and possibly a collision. Nothing should be coming off a car under normal use.

Last edited by FITEsq; 10-04-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?