3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

So what's up with Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
people hold your horses and tone it down, before i start deleting posts and banning people.
Yes sir (or ma'm as the case may be ...grin).

I've had 3 Honda Civics ... a 1980 Station Wagon (toughest little car I've ever had), an EX Coupe and an Si Coupe. I remember them all fondly. Then came a series of financial and personal set backs. I eventually would up with a 2008 Suzuki SX4 while looking for a used 2nd gen Fit. Few to be had at any reasonable price. The SX4 was the best little car no one had ever heard of. American Suzuki just didn't know how to market them. They pulled out of the NA market and the resale/trade in value dropped like a rock (excuse to get rid of it). It was a demo with only 900 miles on it in Dec. 2009. It was an automatic while all the Civics had been manuals. I prefer manuals.

The 2015 Fit EX 6 speed is probably the last car I'll buy. I'll be 75 on Bruce Lee's birthday. I'm in remarkable good health but I try to be realistic. The only flaw I see in the Fit is the horribly flimsy hatch floor between the rear wheel wells with no easy DIY fix.

I apologize for my snarky attitude. But then again there was a reason I choose "Short Fuse" for my CB handle back in the day.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Santiad
So recalls seem to be par the course these days.....not sure which auto manufacturer hasn't recieved one.....part of the problem are the vendors they source parts from and others the result of cost-cutting which is what just about every business is doing to maximize profits.....

Honda messed up in that they had a range of acceptability for density for the main shaft and allowed production with said density at the lower end....

meaning this new fit wasnt meant to be the little Honda that turns over 200k that we have come to love and expect from the big H.....

this is disappointing but falls in line with what every manufacturer is doing, gone are the days of dependability as they hope buyers treat their cars like their other electronic devices and upgrade to get new tech.

I hate this trend....other cars I have been looking at to replace this fit are either using CVT, Turbos, and tons of electronics that put a question mark on the makes reliability down the road.

We should be disappointed and express that disappointment as Honda fans...no need for us to continue to buy their product if they continue like this, though I'm not sure which manufacturer to go to....
Agree. They all seem to be going planned death dates

Old 10-12-2015, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
So recalls seem to be par the course these days.....not sure which auto manufacturer hasn't recieved one.....part of the problem are the vendors they source parts from and others the result of cost-cutting which is what just about every business is doing to maximize profits.....

Honda messed up in that they had a range of acceptability for density for the main shaft and allowed production with said density at the lower end....

meaning this new fit wasnt meant to be the little Honda that turns over 200k that we have come to love and expect from the big H.....

this is disappointing but falls in line with what every manufacturer is doing, gone are the days of dependability as they hope buyers treat their cars like their other electronic devices and upgrade to get new tech.

I hate this trend....other cars I have been looking at to replace this fit are either using CVT, Turbos, and tons of electronics that put a question mark on the makes reliability down the road.

We should be disappointed and express that disappointment as Honda fans...no need for us to continue to buy their product if they continue like this, though I'm not sure which manufacturer to go to....

I hope you're wrong but I fear you are right. Everything is made crappier today. I own my own AC business and the new equipment is more efficient, much more techy, and fails at a ridiculously high rate. I don't know if the manufactures are trying to cut corners to save money or they want the cars to fail sooner. Maybe both. Either way it sucks for the consumer.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitfuture
I hope you're wrong but I fear you are right. Everything is made crappier today. I own my own AC business and the new equipment is more efficient, much more techy, and fails at a ridiculously high rate. I don't know if the manufactures are trying to cut corners to save money or they want the cars to fail sooner. Maybe both. Either way it sucks for the consumer.
Then carry the complaints to the manufacturer/seller directly instead of "unofficial" sites like this. I'm pretty sure that Honda is aware of this and other "unofficial" places, but really pay little or no attention to them. If it became a hate site and was troublesome, they would take action, ore way or the other.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
there was a "Honda Customer Service" guy that was pretty frequent here when the 2015s came out. Now he's gone.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
there was a "Honda Customer Service" guy that was pretty frequent here when the 2015s came out. Now he's gone.
I believe that Honda CS guy is "HondaGeeK", a Honda sales guy, who posted yesterday.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
no, the handle is HondaCstServ. Try to PM him. HondaGeek just sells doesnt really do Quality Assurance.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Then carry the complaints to the manufacturer/seller directly instead of "unofficial" sites like this. I'm pretty sure that Honda is aware of this and other "unofficial" places, but really pay little or no attention to them. If it became a hate site and was troublesome, they would take action, ore way or the other.
They are aware of it. If they have any sense at all, they monitor it. GM does, and when someone has a legitimate problem, they contact the poster.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
They are aware of it. If they have any sense at all, they monitor it. GM does, and when someone has a legitimate problem, they contact the poster.
Proof? ToV members has complained about the lack of a Type R for decades now. It MAY show up in late 2016 as a turbo charged V6 Civic with hang on aero panels, not a magic normally aspirated 4. A way out of the price bracket of most Honda buyers.

Note that the 3rd or 4th attempt at an Acura NSX replacement is priced right up there with current supercars, not undercutting them like the original. Price point IS the point.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
I agree. I think most companies pay a lot of attention to popular internet forums like this. I know for a fact they do in the air conditioning world. My concern is that they might not really do that much about some quality issues, because it seems most companies are sacrificing quality to cut costs.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Honda messed up in that they had a range of acceptability for density for the main shaft and allowed production with said density at the lower end.
In the manufacturing world, all parts have an acceptable tolerance (finished dimensions or other material property can vary plus or minus by a certain amount). The tighter the tolerance, the more expensive it is to make the part (one reason aviation parts are ridiculously expensive).

The thing to understand here is that these parts (going by what we know from the published info from Honda) were within acceptable tolerance, just at the low side. Still *acceptable* though. My guess is that they found that the low tolerance is actually too low in the real world, for some use cases.

A hundred years ago, before computers, an engineer would design a part using the TLAR method (That Looks About Right). If it broke in the field, they just beefed it up more until it didn't break, which is why my 65 year old farm tractor is still running as good as the day it was new. Technology allows us to design much closer to "just good enough, plus a bit extra," which works fine for 95% of typical use cases, but which also means once the part is done, it's done. You'll only find 65 year-old Fits in museums one of these days...

es

Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
In the manufacturing world, all parts have an acceptable tolerance (finished dimensions or other material property can vary plus or minus by a certain amount). The tighter the tolerance, the more expensive it is to make the part (one reason aviation parts are ridiculously expensive).

The thing to understand here is that these parts (going by what we know from the published info from Honda) were within acceptable tolerance, just at the low side. Still *acceptable* though. My guess is that they found that the low tolerance is actually too low in the real world, for some use cases.

A hundred years ago, before computers, an engineer would design a part using the TLAR method (That Looks About Right). If it broke in the field, they just beefed it up more until it didn't break, which is why my 65 year old farm tractor is still running as good as the day it was new. Technology allows us to design much closer to "just good enough, plus a bit extra," which works fine for 95% of typical use cases, but which also means once the part is done, it's done. You'll only find 65 year-old Fits in museums one of these days...

es
Yes, this actually dates back to Ancient times. It wasn't until recently we discovered stress/strain curves and predict the failure point of a certain material and design around it. Then we added a factor of safety and costs for x material. Boom... This is why we have ancient buildings (7 Wonders of the World) still standing today. The design was so conservative.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Most of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World are gone, mostly for natural disasters or war. The exceptions are the pyramids. There were several designs, trial and error, the older ones are crumbled ruins. The better, surviving ones were built by ancient engineers who had the time and resources provided by pharoses who wanted to be remembered.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Where does one get a list of these recalls? Shouldn't I get a notification from Honda? I would like a list of the recalls when I go to the dealer for my first oil change. I only have a couple of issues so I have not taken the car back for them because they don't effect the performance of it.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wallygator
Where does one get a list of these recalls? Shouldn't I get a notification from Honda? I would like a list of the recalls when I go to the dealer for my first oil change. I only have a couple of issues so I have not taken the car back for them because they don't effect the performance of it.
You'll probably get dozens of responses, Early 2015 Fits, especially with CVT seem to be more prone to the recalls but official letters are supposed to have gone out Oct. 6, 2015. DO NOT DEMAND a fix if your car is not on the list or if you don't have the letter. You'll have to pay otherwise.

Go to the Honda website and submit your VIN, all 17 characters. Follow the instructions. It could be that there is NO recall for your particular Fit.

My EX 6 speed, built 12/14, sold 5/2/15, has not been subject to any of the 3 recalls.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
My EX 6 speed, built 12/14, sold 5/2/15, has not been subject to any of the 3 recalls.

Neither has mine, and the issues I HAVE had were not recall items.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Proof? ToV members has complained about the lack of a Type R for decades now. It MAY show up in late 2016 as a turbo charged V6 Civic with hang on aero panels, not a magic normally aspirated 4. A way out of the price bracket of most Honda buyers.

Note that the 3rd or 4th attempt at an Acura NSX replacement is priced right up there with current supercars, not undercutting them like the original. Price point IS the point.

Lets say they are stupid if they don't. I don't believe they are stupid

Old 10-16-2015, 08:21 AM
Still no recalls on my Fit ***fingers crossed***

Old 10-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Still no recalls on my Fit ***fingers crossed***
Got my 3rd recall done yesterday...The coils. It does run better, with no stumbling like before. Just hope there is no 4th or 5th recall

Old 10-17-2015, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
At least a "recall" means that the problem will be fixed, unlike issues like the sagging front bumper cover.

Quick Reply: So what's up with Honda?